The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm thinking about running for something, but I'm having a majorly hard time deciding whether a sabbatical mid-degree is a good idea. Heart says yes, DoS says no!
Reply 2
I think you should go for that CUSU position, you've been thinking about it for this long I think your apprehensions are just minor. and I'm sure you could get TSR people out there to vote for you.

I was thinking about access officer for my college, but last year's two target reps are running. Which I tihnk is a bit silly because their vote will be split between them and I think it would be quite easy for a third party to steal the vote because the two target reps couldn't get enough of their year to side with one of them. I am still tempted though, I'd like to stand for something just for the experience, even if I did get a thrashing. If I got the job, I'm not entirely sure what I'd do, so it's hard to write a manifesto, quite frankly I think they do an excellent job of access already. I can kind of imagine if I won, being like "right, uhhh, now what." and the two target reps who know looooads about access looking at me expectantly.
Reply 3
Speaking of candidates at Clare, tell Seth he should run for CSLD Chair. All the exec think he'd do an amazing job!

If it's a job you really want, Lex, you should run for it. Experience only goes so far, and when it's something like Target or Welfare involved I personally feel that it's all about enthusiasm and committment to the job. If you've got lots of ideas then why not run?! Being on Sidney's exec committee has been fantastic.
Reply 4
Alex: CUSU Target's free too. It's a part-time position. And you've just told me that Clare still haven't found someone to do the job. Go for it!

I'm majorly upset that we haven't had any candidates for CUSU Access or Target this year. What cool jobs!!! Come TSRers, get keen! Details/manifestos are on the CUSU website: http://cususite.headporter.com/cmsv1/index.php?section=cms&uni=1&module=index&page=273
Reply 5
submitted my manifesto, a bit predictable and waffly, but this is last minute, and I hope it's gotten a couple of my personal ideas through. I'd really appreciate your vote/friend's votes helen/alaric!
Reply 6
Just back from counting votes and we currently have two results.

CUSU PRESIDENT: LAURA WALSH

CUSU WOMEN'S OFFICER: MICHELLE NUTTALL
Reply 7
hey Laura got it! *wonders how Dye responded to the news*

Add a third result,
Union of Clare students exec, access officer: ALEX WILKES

Yayety yay! This is going to be great!
Reply 8
Congratulations! Dye was really gracious - he narrowly lost and I think the new exec will take that very seriously. I hear Barry Bridges has lodged a complaint though. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I voted for Ticki yesterday if I recall correctly. But can't remember what it was that I voted her for...
Reply 10
lol alex you got access....craaaazy!

and hmmm i WAS gonna vote for dye...cos he was the one policy i saw them husting about i agreed with only him (twas abut sport). But then again I take the "I cant be arsed" stance and just didnt get round to it
Reply 11
Congratulations Alex! I voted for you, as did most of my friends :smile: And one of my best friends got Welfare, which I'm really happy about, she'll do great at it :smile:
Reply 12
Helenia
Congratulations Alex! I voted for you, as did most of my friends :smile:

hmm......
Reply 13
slinec.
hmm......

Well, it's not confidential any more. I'm sure you'll do great at it. Plus one of the other girls said something rather flippant about private schoolkids, which annoyed me.
Reply 14
slinec.
hmm......

lol you really have run out of ideas on how to annoy helen now havent you...i'd just give up if i were you, she doesnt seem to be getting annoyed any more and all you're doing is making yourself look like a tart!
Reply 15
Willa
lol you really have run out of ideas on how to annoy helen now havent you...i'd just give up if i were you, she doesnt seem to be getting annoyed any more and all you're doing is making yourself look like a tart!

Another sugary puff person... emmmmmmmm....
Reply 16
you still havent explained this connection between tarts and sugary puffs! You just dont make any sense at all these days!
Reply 17
Willa
you still havent explained this connection between tarts and sugary puffs! You just dont make any sense at all these days!

Sugar puffs make so much sense, Willa. You are missing out.
So pleased Dye didn't get elected - normally I would have voted for Robin as a campaign vote but voted for Laura as I knew it would be tight. Apparently Dye egged the amnesty cage protest last term - what a f**king loser.

MB
Reply 19
Thank you to those who voted for me - I was elected!!! So happy at the prospect of another year in Cambridge! :biggrin:

Final results:

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS: Drew Livingstone
PRESIDENT: Laura Walsh
SERVICES: Jennifer Cooper
WELFARE & GRADUATES: Vicki Mann
WOMEN'S: Michelle Nuttall

EDUCATION: Martin Arrowsmith
ENTS: Aleisha Goulbourn
GREEN: Matt Simms
HIGHER EDUCATION FUNDING: Dan Swain
WELFARE AWARENESS OFFICER: Thomas Cox
OPEN PORTFOLIO OFFICERS: Juliet Mullin (Mental Health) & Dave Smith (Action)

NUS CONFERENCE DELEGATES: Vicki Mann, Drew Livingston, Steve Bernstein, Mark Gettleson, Robin Sivapalan, Chris Hancock, Jane Jacks, Laura Walsh, Jenni Woolf, Intissar Khreeji, Ben Maraney and Joe Powell (12 in total)

ACCESS and TARGET by-elections to be held next term.

Latest

Trending

Trending