The Student Room Group

The Alchemist

Anyone else doing this on tuesday?

Seen virtually no discussion on it. Absolutely fretting about it.

Started off liking it as it's something different, but now I genuinley hate it.

If anyone can reveal some insight, I'd be extremely thankful.
What would you like to know? :P
Reply 2
Everything, lol.

Sorry I'm just in a bit of a state, haven't done as much work as I should have...and well have a bit of a mental block atm.

Loool, Hecta it's Ramesh.
I have to say, I really like this book.
But, sorry, can't really give any academic input.
No, this Alchemist is the 1610 play by Ben Johnson. Which in my opinion is much much easier than Lyrical ballads which I will fail hard on lol.
Reply 5
weflycars
Is it the one by Coelho?? Seems weird they'd set an exam on it :s-smilie:

No, its by Ben Jonson.
Reply 6
HectaSelecta
No, this Alchemist is the 1610 play by Ben Johnson. Which in my opinion is much much easier than Lyrical ballads which I will fail hard on lol.

I'm feeling the exact opposite now mate. As long as we do proper revision (something I have not down) there's a lot that can be written about the Lyrical Ballads.

Feel a lot more restricted with The Alchemist.
Yeah, basically theres not much to write, you have to follow a structure such as:

Generic Intro: Two critical points/views can be supported to a certain extent....

Critical Point 1 Analysis
2/3 examples, quotes, close textual analysis and how it refers to the point.

Critical Point 2 Analysis

Another Critical Point if possible.

Generic Conclusion

Problem with ballads is that theres a whole lot more to learn, as in poems, quotes, structure (pentameter tetrameter), storyline, what the writer is trying to convey, awkward questions etcetcetc. argh

Once you know the storyline and how Jonson tries to show something thats it, no need to add another book to it lol.

P.S: Make sure to refer to the question constantly. E.g. Beginning of every critical point argument. It could be argued that blahblah can be seen in the storyline.... and uses these techniques to emphasise the (critical point).
Anyway, here are some key quotes.

"Into my old shape again"
Can be used to show why Face could be the alchemist, how Jonson is a skillful writer and the structure of the play is satisfactory.

"Coining" and "Casting"
How Face manipulates the language during his disguises, again used to show Jonson's ability to write, and how Face is the Real Alchemist.

"I fart at thee"
Subtle's colloquial language emphasizing the 1610 lower class society, can be used to show how Subtle is not a rounded character and how Jonson satirizes his social status.

"Meal of Steam"
Reinforces his position outside of the Alchemist can be used in combination with how is Alchemy presented question. Lower class to doctor (alchemist).

"Entiendo"
Dramatic Irony, Face/Subtle say they will con him. Surly says I understand in Spanish and they don't know that he knows English since he is under the Spanish Count's disguise. Links to skillful writing, the alchemist could not only be Subtle.

"New tune... old language"
Used in rounded characters where they can adapt to different cons.
Or in unskillful writing where they do the same every time.

"Calcine", "dulcify"
ANY list of alchemical terms to show that Subtle is the real alchemist, and how is he presented. Shows Jonson's skillful writing since he researches in order to give his play credibility.

The whole play as you can see interlinks themes so basically if a question comes up you can use most quotes to answer it.

Safe Ramesh. :P You know more than you think btw.
Reply 9
Lol cheers mate. Btw if you haven't looked already there's some really useful tips on Lyrical Ballads on this site.

P.S. Check your personal messages, just sent u something.
Yeah, I'm quite confident on Childhood, Supernatural and Rustics. Not so much on Imagination & Human Suffering.

What other themes should be covered as well?
Reply 11
The sublime. Also make sure you have some contextual knowledge to apply it to. About the Romantic Movement, French Revolution etc.
Yeah I'm not too bad on the sublime and the context behind it. Hopefully I an remember all those quotes, jeez there's literally like 40.
Oh that brings back memories, I absolutely hated that book, and the exam was awful. Can't help I did it a couple of years ago.

Latest

Trending

Trending