The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Noone care where you take your LPC. If you are in with a big firm you will have a TC by then anyway and that firm might specify where you do your LPC but you would know that before you applied. The new LPC that CoL were on about when I went to their open day means that the big firms basically have their own course. Noone else (who isn't funding it) cares they just want you to have it. Going to trent is going to make no difference to where you do your LPC. Most LPC providers will take you even wtih a 2.2 because they want the money its really not that competitive. Vitriol has done his LPC and I am doing mine and we've both been through the application process and believe me you have no problem getting offers. I don'tknow anyone who applied for an LPC anywhere that didn't get accepted at all their choices. They want you to have the skills so its important to have gone to somewhere half decent for your LPC but nothing like as important as where you did your degree.
Reply 21
It's usually quite straightforward to get a place on an LPC course - if you have the £££ of course.

Some law firms specify where you should do the LPC, but others won't really be bothered, they will judge you more on the university where you got your degree & what grade you got.
Leeds Met is a very bad choice to study law now that it has moved off the Headingley campus to a seperate city campus - if you want computers / internet / books / journals / law reports / study areas / canteen facilities / student union, you have to walk 15mins across the city to the Civic Quarter campus, which was already overcrowded before they dropped the entire law school on top of it. (with no increase in facilities obviously)
Headingley campus is a good 45min trip from city taking into account walking and bus times, therefore all the gym, pool, free parking, union, gorgeous campus etc are logistically useless now.
No reduction in fees and its so difficult to organise doing work etc between lectures. (lectures at one campus, walk to other, get someone free to sit, find materials, pick up your pen - oh its time to start walking back for the next lecture)
We were moved with no consultation or even official notice, (a letter arrived in early Sept reading "as you may be aware we are moving") in Sept 2005, and this move is already having a deterimental effect on my studies. And its my final year. If I sound bitter, its because I am.

Regarding the LPC, firms usually have no preference as the number of providers is limited and closely regulated. (with the exception of a couple of big firms who only take BPP students - so I would place BPP above Nott Trent based on that. College of Law is becoming well regarded as slipping in terms of reputation and standards - this view was aired to me by law firms I did vac schemes with)
I have a TC with a top 10 firm, and they told me I could choose where to do the LPC and only gave a very small list of electives I couldn't choose.

Oh yeah and you could fail and you would still get a place on the LPC practically anywhere as long as they get their fat fees cheque!!!!

Elle

:redface:
Reply 23
City uni in London has requirements ABB too I think.
Reply 24
The big firms who would prefer you to go to BPP are probably the same ones who would specify you go there & pay your fees if you got a training contract with them! - so if you don't have a training contract lined up you wouldn't need to necessarily worry about that.
Kerrigan
The big firms who would prefer you to go to BPP are probably the same ones who would specify you go there & pay your fees if you got a training contract with them! - so if you don't have a training contract lined up you wouldn't need to necessarily worry about that.

Absolutely agree, that was my point - if big MC firms specify BPP, then it is a good indicator for other firms that they should be looking closely at students with a BPP LPC. (I was advised this by graduate recruitment of a top 10 firm I did a vac scheme with!) (however the firm I took my TC with are also top 10 but do not specify where I take my LPC)

:redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending