The Student Room Group

m1 q on pulleys

plz help me with the following q as i have no clue how to answer the q

a particle A of mass 0.5kg rests on a smooth inclined plane of angle arcsin 3/5. A light inextensible string is attatched to this particle and passes over a smooth pulley at the top of the plane. A particle B of mass mkg hangs freely from the other end of the string. The system is released from rest with the string taut. Particle B desends 1m in 1s. Find the value of m and the tension in the string.

thanx x
Reply 1
charna

a particle A of mass 0.5kg rests on a smooth inclined plane of angle arcsin 3/5. A light inextensible string is attatched to this particle and passes over a smooth pulley at the top of the plane. A particle B of mass mkg hangs freely from the other end of the string. The system is released from rest with the string taut. Particle B desends 1m in 1s. Find the value of m and the tension in the string.

thanx x

Put this in the Maths Forum!

Aitch
Reply 2
B descends 1m in 1s, so:
s = ut + 0.5at²
1 = 0 + 0.5a => a = 2

F=ma gives:
Particle B: mg - T = ma => T = mg - 2m (1)
Particle A: T - 0.5gsin(arcsin 3/5) = 0.5a => T = 0.5a + 0.5gsin(arcsin 3/5) = 1 + (3/10)g (2)

(1) - (2):
0 = mg - 2m - 1 - (3/10)g
2m - mg = m(2-g) = - 1 - (3/10)g
m =~ 0.505m

From (2) you can get:
T =~ 3.94N
Reply 3
Aitch
Put this in the Maths Forum!

Aitch

At A, down slope = 0.5g sin t = 2.94
At A, T - 2.94 = 0.5 a

Get a = acceleration from given distance, time, u=0 gives a = 2

At A, T - 2.94 = 0.5 *2
T = 3.94

At B
mg -T = 2m
mg - 3.94 = 2m
3.94 = m(g-2)
m = .505

Aitch
Reply 4
charna

thanx x

Because dvs and I were doing this at the same time (dvs a bit faster! :mad: ) you have the luxury of 2 slightly different routes!

Aitch
Reply 5
Aitch
(dvs a bit faster! :mad: )

Which was a first!
Reply 6
lol u jokas thanx i was stuck on da 1st bit afta dat it is easy i suppose
i think dvs was abit faster tho :smile:

Latest