The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cru_jo0
This is annoying:

They achived that on a Sunday.....and the only thing to be up was funds by 0.30%

Can anyone explain? Am i missing some money making magic?

Also last night about 12:30am the league tables went down...

Just noticed that aswell.
That has to be enough proof to show that they're cheating.
It's impossible to go up by that much considering the market's closed and only 2 funds went up and they only went up by less then 1%.
Reply 21
Obviously the league tables have some problem after a team reaches a million. Notice any similarities between the percentage increase and their totals in comparison to 1 million?

None of you seem to have any good reason to think the top teams are cheating except that they are whipping everyone so badly. The more money they get, the more they can invest so the bigger the lead becomes.
Reply 22
n2w9
Obviously the league tables have some problem after a team reaches a million. Notice any similarities between the percentage increase and their totals in comparison to 1 million?

None of you seem to have any good reason to think the top teams are cheating except that they are whipping everyone so badly. The more money they get, the more they can invest so the bigger the lead becomes.

So you would think, but if you look at thier volumes....they stay the same everyday despite the change in money.
and we have no reason? How can you grow by 50% when the only increase possible is 0.30% for the day?

if the worlds richest men took years to make there first million, how can these people achive more than 1000% growth in under 6 months?

Maybe I am jumping to an assumption here but:

A new member appears and defends the top teams in his first ever post, look at his details:

Name:
Orientation:
Astrology: Undisclosed Member Since: 17-01-2009
Reput

So I look up The Royal Latin School address:

Buckingham, Royal Latin School (o/s), Buckingham, Buckinghamshire MK18, UK

Hmmm...or am i just being over paranoid?
Reply 23
They dont start everyday on 1 million. They were already over 1.5 million at the end of friday, so clearly its a fault with the league tables and they havnt actually gone up at all. The volumes will obviously stay the same because they havnt bought or sold any shares after hours. Their money hasnt increased.
Reply 24
n2w9
They dont start everyday on 1 million. They were already over 1.5 million at the end of friday, so clearly its a fault with the league tables and they havnt actually gone up at all. The volumes will obviously stay the same because they havnt bought or sold any shares after hours. Their money hasnt increased.

I meant the volume over time :smile:
and on what basis do you make the asusmption they had 1.5 mill on Friday?
Reply 25
because i looked at the league table. I know for sure that they arent cheating as i go to the rls. thats all i have to say on the matter.
Reply 26
n2w9
because i looked at the league table. I know for sure that they arent cheating as i go to the rls. thats all i have to say on the matter.

Please invite them to this discussion :smile:
Reply 27
yes please do?and you know for sure theyre not cheating? check out the graphs that cru_jo0 put up on the earliar. the only reason theyre not exactly the same is because of the time difference the two teams joined on...shift one of the graphs so that they start at the same time and youll see that theyre identical!

Actually cru_jo0 could you do this for us and post it please?

Many thanks
Reply 28
Cheat, think about it, the ftse is dieing, all the financial sector is dieing, all investment banks are going out of business,

and now you see normal school kids attaining 950% + gain in the stock market, from 100k to 1million,

not possible even if little time delays are exploited, major cheating is occuring!
Reply 29
n2w9
I know for sure that they arent cheating as i go to the rls. QUOTE]

o you know theyre not cheating cos you go to rls aswell?...interesting!
Reply 30
The people who run student investor are almost certainly aware of how the top teams are making their money - they temporarily suspended the top 25 teams last year for the exact same reason (though they called it 'Suspicious trading activity').

They're using either Google Finance or another similar up-to-date website that shows the actual prices of stocks in real time, as opposed to the student investor website's which is always delayed by 15 minutes. It doesn't take a genius to work out that you can buy a stock which you know will increase by x% in the next update.

That's the reason why these new trading rules were introduced (limiting the number of transactions per company per day) - to stop people buying and selling volatile stocks without any risk of losing anything.

The only way they'll be able to stop this from happening is to ensure their prices are as up to date as websites such as google finance - I'm sure with the level of backing they have at the moment it wouldn't be too difficult to either have live stock prices, or at least decrease the time between updates and also randomise it. The other alternative they were thinking of was to force people to buy stocks and then force them to hold onto them for a set amount of time - ie. a week or a month. Apparently they decided against this.

Then again I could be completely wrong and they could be exploiting the website (such as SQL injection) - though if that were happening it would have been caught almost instantly. The method above doesn't have to be done manually either - it would be fairly simple to make something in PHP (or any other language) to automate the process - grab the prices from google and from student investor - if there's a reasonable % difference then buy.

I attended the regional finals last year - the top team there had made over a £million - needless to say they looked very sheepish when being interviewed by the guy that made the website to get tips on how to improve it! Oh - and that's also why they increased the number who got through to the regional final - to make it fairer for those who hadn't cheated. It's a shame that people can't play the game fairly.
Reply 31
Pixombu
The people who run student investor are almost certainly aware of how the top teams are making their money - they temporarily suspended the top 25 teams last year for the exact same reason (though they called it 'Suspicious trading activity').

They're using either Google Finance or another similar up-to-date website that shows the actual prices of stocks in real time, as opposed to the student investor website's which is always delayed by 15 minutes. It doesn't take a genius to work out that you can buy a stock which you know will increase by x% in the next update.

That's the reason why these new trading rules were introduced (limiting the number of transactions per company per day) - to stop people buying and selling volatile stocks without any risk of losing anything.

The only way they'll be able to stop this from happening is to ensure their prices are as up to date as websites such as google finance - I'm sure with the level of backing they have at the moment it wouldn't be too difficult to either have live stock prices, or at least decrease the time between updates and also randomise it. The other alternative they were thinking of was to force people to buy stocks and then force them to hold onto them for a set amount of time - ie. a week or a month. Apparently they decided against this.

Then again I could be completely wrong and they could be exploiting the website (such as SQL injection) - though if that were happening it would have been caught almost instantly. The method above doesn't have to be done manually either - it would be fairly simple to make something in PHP (or any other language) to automate the process - grab the prices from google and from student investor - if there's a reasonable % difference then buy.

I attended the regional finals last year - the top team there had made over a £million - needless to say they looked very sheepish when being interviewed by the guy that made the website to get tips on how to improve it! Oh - and that's also why they increased the number who got through to the regional final - to make it fairer for those who hadn't cheated. It's a shame that people can't play the game fairly.

They introduced a rule where you have to hold shares for a whole day.
The site is not exploitable im pretty certain.
Reply 32
Hi there guys.
I'm a member of the cockels from RLS buckingham. I must say that i personally play little role in making any money for our team- it is pretty much done by one team member. I just stumbled across this forum and was shocked to see how emotional people are getting about it. i would like to assure you that we are not cheating and we have previously been checked out by the IFS (the timing of this makes sense now as i have seen people complained). They sent us an e mail apologising for suspecting us of cheating. i can assure you that we dont cheat. as mentioned above they have the rule where you can not buy and sell the same share in the same day so watching stock sites is pointless. Regarding the %50 jump on a day when the market wasnt open we were initially equally confused. When we looked into it however we realised it was an error. Our potfolio value had not gone up at all. If anyone wants to see an example of any particular day of trading they find suspicious we would be happy to show you our portfolio trading record.

thanks
Reply 33
Hmm. A bit off the topic but, does anyone know how many teams go to the regional final?! and if so, is all the money reset?

thanks
Reply 34
top 20 eligible teams, and its a quiz
Reply 35
The cheats are victorious!

My team would have qualified in any of the other 3 regions!-but we are in the south east region along with all the cheaters. A respectable £135,000 but no place in the regional finals for us. Did anyone else come close but didn't qualify due to the cheaters? I can't believe that IFS didn't disqualify anybody. Realistically without cheating nobody would be able to make over £200,000 let's face it, and everyone who qualified for the south east has over £200,000.

Stupid cheaters. I welcome any replies from members of any teams who qualified for the south east region.
Reply 36
Here's your reply and you are indeed welcome too it. Clearly you did well and it is unfortunate that more teams can't go to the regional finals. However I think you are being incredibly bitter about the situation. Yes, £100000 to 6 million is unrealistic but you seem to fail to remember that we are playing with VIRTUAL money. In real life there is risk involved whereas here there is no risk. You have absolutely nothing to lose. I would also like to point out that the player in our team who effectively won it for us put in a lot of hard work and hours during november december and January and i feel we deserve the prize.

As i have pointed out before we have been checked by ifs on more than one occasion due to complaints for cheating but each time they concluded we weren't cheating. Had we cheated it would be incredibly easy to pick up as our trading record simply wouldn't add up.

I hope this settles the matter.
Reply 37
Milch

My team would have qualified in any of the other 3 regions!-but we are in the south east region along with all the cheaters. A respectable £135,000 but no place in the regional finals for us. Did anyone else come close but didn't qualify due to the cheaters? I can't believe that IFS didn't disqualify anybody. Realistically without cheating nobody would be able to make over £200,000 let's face it, and everyone who qualified for the south east has over £200,000.

Stupid cheaters. I welcome any replies from members of any teams who qualified for the south east region.

We had £186,000 but had the same problem, maybe they cheated maybe they didnt, dosent matter its done now. I am proud of myself and my team we finished 68th overall. :smile:
Reply 38
Milch

Hey,

I'm a member of the "Epic Lemons" Team that came 20th (Once You take out duplicate teams past 2) In The South East, So we Qualified in 20th place. We ended up on £217,000 and I can assure you we didnt cheat. I wish we could have, But I like you guys have no idea how some of the teams made that much money. To make £7 Million + is simply ridiculous. I hope they interview us at the regional finals as I'll tell them.

Basically how we made our money was a mixture of Guesswork and looking at the graphs, past prices and then looking in thinks such as Telegraphs business section to make some slow money but Our biggest earners came once from a dividends payment, I cant remember the name of the company but It was about £30,000 . Total fluke, had no idea we would get that much. And then we made an absaloute mint with the banks. Funilly enough I read an article in the Sun. Yes thats right The Sun?!? Saying the banks would rally in the coming week, so we went for it. Put all our money in the major ones and made an absaloute killing, after that we played it safe.

Anyway, Back to my original point. I would like you to withdraw your accusations of my team cheating as , well we didn't :smile:
is it just me that thinks is hilarious that ahmed stayed up until 2.00 am on a saturday to 'prove' his theory about the cockels, had the clubs shut or something? clown

nah the mastermind behind the cockels is a close personal friend of mine and i know for a fact that he did not cheat,hes a seriously sharp character and he got a bit lucky as well, but everyone needs luck on shares and thats all there is too it as far as i can see. Also worth considering is the fact IFS are handing over real pounds so their not going to do that without doing a fairly extensive check on whether they were cheating or not, if im being honest, just sounds as though your a bit bitter mate, and also, they havnt won the big prize yet, and if they lose im sure they will be big enough to accept that, something you obviously cant do.

Latest

Trending

Trending