The Student Room Group

Any "Bachillerato" student?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ferrox96
Thanks! I've gone this year to the maths olympics "convocatoria" (I don't know it in English), but I didn't do anything serious, as this is the first year I'm able to enter.

I also have some questions:

1º. What do I need to know about the different levels? I mean; degree, master, etc. I don't understand them quite well.

2º. What if I want to stay in the UK after studying?

3º. Do I need to do anything special in Bachillerato? I should tell me teachers about studying abroad, right?

4º. What is the average salary, for instance, after studying Mechanical with Nuclear Engineering at Imperial. Of course I love science and engineering, otherwise I wouldn't be even asking anything, but I'm saying this because I saw some jobs offer of Mechanical or Nuclear Engineering in the UK, that asked no particular experience, and had spectacular salaries, around £60,000 per year (I don't know if this is considered spam, but here are some examples of what I'm talking about: examples.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
So you went to maths olympics! :smile: (you're talking about la olimpiada matematica espanola right?) it will be a very good experience for you. This way you can learn lots of things out of school syllabus.. which is just perfect to show your enthusiasm in the subject when it comes to the admission.

Well, about your questions:

1º. I think you are talking about Bachelor and Master. Bachelor is a 3 year course and Master is a 4 year course. I don't think the Master means that it covers Postgraduate master's degree ,yet I'm not sure. In the UK, lots of degrees are like to be 3 year course. A subject like law or mathematics which are considered to be very competitive to get into, are 3 three year course as well, so it's not likely to be worse to have Bachelor's degree than to have Master degree. However, in case of engineering (or some other subjects) there are both Bachelor degree and Master degree so I would say 4 year course master degree will be better, and obviously, more competitive to get into.

2º. Well..... if you study in a good university such as Oxbridge or Imperial, you won't have any trouble of getting a good job there. I'm not sure what aspect you want to know about staying in the UK. The career of graduates can be found in each universities' web-site.

3º. Just I like said, you will need to do some extra-curricular things. If you have any chance to do A-levels or IB (International Baccalaureate) I would encourage you to do it as they are more likely useful to get into a British university. If you don't, however, don't worry it doesn't matter. British universities accept Titulo de Bachillerato espanol as well and their typical offer condition can be found in each universities' web-site (there are some universities, like Imperial, that doesn't mention it. In this case you should contact them sending an email and ask about it). I saying you should do extra-curricular things not because they don't like (well they don't prefer it neither) it, but by having a good CV you will be able to stand out. To be honest, I think I got an offer because of my CV (I'm doing IB and Bachillerato together so maybe this might have been good as well)

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about it... As I'm looking forward to do Master (postgraduate) and Doctor's degree after finishing my undergraduate studies I practically didn't think about it. However, you might be able to get some information about them in each universities' web-sites.
Reply 41
Original post by oleahi
Hi,
So you went to maths olympics! :smile: (you're talking about la olimpiada matematica espanola right?) it will be a very good experience for you. This way you can learn lots of things out of school syllabus.. which is just perfect to show your enthusiasm in the subject when it comes to the admission.

Well, about your questions:

1º. I think you are talking about Bachelor and Master. Bachelor is a 3 year course and Master is a 4 year course. I don't think the Master means that it covers Postgraduate master's degree ,yet I'm not sure. In the UK, lots of degrees are like to be 3 year course. A subject like law or mathematics which are considered to be very competitive to get into, are 3 three year course as well, so it's not likely to be worse to have Bachelor's degree than to have Master degree. However, in case of engineering (or some other subjects) there are both Bachelor degree and Master degree so I would say 4 year course master degree will be better, and obviously, more competitive to get into.

2º. Well..... if you study in a good university such as Oxbridge or Imperial, you won't have any trouble of getting a good job there. I'm not sure what aspect you want to know about staying in the UK. The career of graduates can be found in each universities' web-site.

3º. Just I like said, you will need to do some extra-curricular things. If you have any chance to do A-levels or IB (International Baccalaureate) I would encourage you to do it as they are more likely useful to get into a British university. If you don't, however, don't worry it doesn't matter. British universities accept Titulo de Bachillerato espanol as well and their typical offer condition can be found in each universities' web-site (there are some universities, like Imperial, that doesn't mention it. In this case you should contact them sending an email and ask about it). I saying you should do extra-curricular things not because they don't like (well they don't prefer it neither) it, but by having a good CV you will be able to stand out. To be honest, I think I got an offer because of my CV (I'm doing IB and Bachillerato together so maybe this might have been good as well)

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about it... As I'm looking forward to do Master (postgraduate) and Doctor's degree after finishing my undergraduate studies I practically didn't think about it. However, you might be able to get some information about them in each universities' web-sites.

Thanks again! You are very kind, answering my questions :smile:

About the maths olympics; yes, the spanish ones. I'm also going the next 3 years (I suppose), and I will try harder.

Antoher thing I forgot to ask; When I finish the Spanish Baccaleurate, I make my application at the university's department website, right? So then, if they choose me, what do they do? Set an interview or what? Do I have to go to live in the UK before making my application? And do I have to do any exam or something before getting into the university? Thanks in advance!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ferrox96
Thanks again! You are very kind, answering my questions :smile:

About the maths olympics; yes, the spanish ones. I'm also going the next 3 years (I suppose), and I will try harder.

Antoher thing I forgot to ask; When I finish the Spanish Baccaleurate, I make my application at the university's department website, right? So then, if they choose me, what do they do? Set an interview or what? Do I have to go to live in the UK before making my application? Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Your application should be sent until 15th of October if you are looking forward to apply for Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) or any biology subjects (such as medicine). This whole process of admission is done through the UCAS (search it in google). Their admissions system isn't the same as it is in Spain. You need to right an essay about yourself which is a Personal Statement and ask for recommendation card to your teacher. About your academic records, you'll have to put your 1 bachillerato grades and ask to your teachers for your predicted grades of 2 bachillerato. So if the university thinks you are suitable for the course, they will give you a conditional offer which is that you will be accepted if you meet the condition that they say (Ex. An average grade of 9 with 9s in Maths and Physics of Titulo de Bachillerato espanol). As your first language is not English, you'll need to meet the english requirement too. However, it won't affect your admission even if you don't have it. They will ask you to meet the english requirement when they give a conditional offer so no hurries. About the interview, it kinda depends. For Oxbridge, you are going to have an interview if you are shortlisted whether you are international applicant or not. Imperial also is likely to set an interview but they do give some offers without interviews. I guess they try to give a conditional offer without an interview to international applicants.. I got a conditional offer without interview too. If they think you are ok but would like to know more about you (both your enthusiasm and academic potential), they will invite you for an interview.

Anyhow, I highly recommend you to look carefully each universities' web-sites. Not just to find out how to apply, but to know more about the university, the course, research,etc. Imagine that they invite you for an interview and asks "why do you want to study in this university?" Knowing their course outline will show that you are very interested in this university and as the reason you want to study there is because of their course structure, you would be considered to be suitable for this course.

However, I guess you still have a lot of time :smile: so no worries. Just do your best to make a good CV and keep up the good school work like you did until now
Reply 43
Does anyone know the official translation for subjects like "ciencias del mundo contemporano" and "proyecto integrado"?
I don't mean the literal translation btw

I need to know this in order to fill in the qualifications section on the ucas form
Thanks in advance!
Original post by jasqur
Does anyone know the official translation for subjects like "ciencias del mundo contemporano" and "proyecto integrado"?
I don't mean the literal translation btw

I need to know this in order to fill in the qualifications section on the ucas form
Thanks in advance!

It isn't necessary to translate the names of subjects, it will just make it less accurate as these subjects won't be the same in the UK. I filled the form with the name in Spanish for those and the translation for obvious ones like Maths, English, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest