The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
!LJ!
Is there anyone out there who has applied to any MSc courses OTHER THAN KING'S!

If so, which unis are they and have you heard from any of them yet???????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was wondering what you think the MSc is going to be like? I'm worried it may be too intensive! All the physios that I have known have been nothing but busy when doing a 3year degree - so do you think we'll be majorly overworked on a course that crams it all into 2 years?!
Reply 2
JackieS
I was wondering what you think the MSc is going to be like? I'm worried it may be too intensive! All the physios that I have known have been nothing but busy when doing a 3year degree - so do you think we'll be majorly overworked on a course that crams it all into 2 years?!

I dont think its cramming a 3yr into 2yrs. When the MSc courses were designed, they took into consideration the length and course content by shortening holidays and skipping the bits we learnt in modules in our 1st degrees (which we thought were rubbish) like research methods, data handling, measurement concepts, transferable skills etc etc etc. Both physio courses obviously have similar content, but the MSc can miss out the undergrad mumble jumble modules!
Without even realising it, you are perfectly qualified to do a MSc course and the entry requirements (which you have met) proove you are capable of doing a MSc course in Physiotherapy!!

Lets just wait and see if we get on a MSc then shall we???? :wink:
Reply 3
!LJ!
I dont think its cramming a 3yr into 2yrs. When the MSc courses were designed, they took into consideration the length and course content by shortening holidays and skipping the bits we learnt in modules in our 1st degrees (which we thought were rubbish) like research methods, data handling, measurement concepts, transferable skills etc etc etc. Both physio courses obviously have similar content, but the MSc can miss out the undergrad mumble jumble modules!
Without even realising it, you are perfectly qualified to do a MSc course and the entry requirements (which you have met) proove you are capable of doing a MSc course in Physiotherapy!!

Lets just wait and see if we get on a MSc then shall we???? :wink:

positive thinking, thats what I like to see!
Reply 4
!LJ! - I got a letter from KCL this morning offering me an interview for the MSc on the 22nd March - so hopefully you should hear from them in the next few days too!
Reply 5
JackieS
!LJ! - I got a letter from KCL this morning offering me an interview for the MSc on the 22nd March - so hopefully you should hear from them in the next few days too!

Well done! I'm at work at the moment inbetween bouncing on trampolines with children with no balance and putting AFOs on feet!!
I'll hope to have a letter in the post when I get home, but i wont get my hopes up0 too much!

Well done again
:biggrin:
Reply 6
!LJ!

Well done! I'm at work at the moment inbetween bouncing on trampolines with children with no balance and putting AFOs on feet!!
I'll hope to have a letter in the post when I get home, but i wont get my hopes up0 too much!

Well done again

sure you'll get an interview too!
Reply 7
Anyone applying for the Msc Physiotherapy course at Essex. Really don't know anything about the course, uni etc

Thanks
Reply 8
dortmund_77
Anyone applying for the Msc Physiotherapy course at Essex. Really don't know anything about the course, uni etc

Thanks

check out their website for further information - and contact them and they should send u some info
Reply 9
It's just that the university/course is not on the UCAS Course search or does that not matter?
Reply 10
dortmund_77
It's just that the university/course is not on the UCAS Course search or does that not matter?

http://www.essex.ac.uk/hhs/pg/pgt/mscphysionursing2yrtrain.htm

it says at the bottom if you contact the department they will send you a information pack about the course
Reply 11
dortmund_77

because its an MSc it won't be
Thanks
Reply 13
dortmund_77
Thanks

no probs
Reply 14
JackieS
sure you'll get an interview too!

I'm home now and no letter!! :mad:
I do live out in the sticks in the countryside tho, postman might be having difficulty finding me!!

Yeah...likely!

I'll keep waiting and concentrate on my interview tommorrow at Cardiff!!
I would love to go there!!!!!!!!!

Reply 15
!LJ!
I'm home now and no letter!! :mad:
I do live out in the sticks in the countryside tho, postman might be having difficulty finding me!!

Yeah...likely!

I'll keep waiting and concentrate on my interview tommorrow at Cardiff!!
I would love to go there!!!!!!!!!

well I live only about 10 mins from KCL by train so maybe thats why I got mine quickly as it didn't exactly have to travel far lol

*fingers crossed you'll hear tomorrow*

god lucky with ur cardiff interview - physio course there very very nice and the uni is good too - I'd have probably applied there if I dind't have to live in london for financial and fiance issues lol!
Reply 16
JackieS
well I live only about 10 mins from KCL by train so maybe thats why I got mine quickly as it didn't exactly have to travel far lol

*fingers crossed you'll hear tomorrow*

god lucky with ur cardiff interview - physio course there very very nice and the uni is good too - I'd have probably applied there if I dind't have to live in london for financial and fiance issues lol!

I got the letter this morning! not such good news for me though!

Good luck for your interview!!!!

I'm waiting on Cardiff!!
:confused:
Reply 17
Hi, I'm new here!

I've got an interview at QMUC in April for the MSc accelerated course, I wasn't too nervous before but after reading all these posts I am now!

I didn't have an interview for my first degree, so I'm not sure what to expect for this, does anyone know what sorts of questions they ask other than the expected - why do you want to do it etc? Has anyone been to QMUC or had interviews there? Do they go into great detail about the things you've done during your work experience? I'm paranoid they're going to ask me a whole load of in-depth questions about treatments or that I don't have enough work experience at all!! Do they ask where else you've applied? I haven't applied for any BSc courses this time (I did try that when I was 18 but didn't get in), do you think they'll ask why not and does it look bad that I haven't re-applied for the Bsc?

Sorry, you can tell I'm worrying about everything! :frown:
Reply 18
SamJL
Hi, I'm new here!

I've got an interview at QMUC in April for the MSc accelerated course, I wasn't too nervous before but after reading all these posts I am now!

I didn't have an interview for my first degree, so I'm not sure what to expect for this, does anyone know what sorts of questions they ask other than the expected - why do you want to do it etc? Has anyone been to QMUC or had interviews there? Do they go into great detail about the things you've done during your work experience? I'm paranoid they're going to ask me a whole load of in-depth questions about treatments or that I don't have enough work experience at all!! Do they ask where else you've applied? I haven't applied for any BSc courses this time (I did try that when I was 18 but didn't get in), do you think they'll ask why not and does it look bad that I haven't re-applied for the Bsc?

Sorry, you can tell I'm worrying about everything! :frown:

Hi.
How many places have you applied to for the MSc? I suggest you apply to as many as you can because its very competitive. I looked at QMUC and Robert Gorden Uni in Aberdeen, but didnt apply in the end as its so far from home (Devon). Both courses look great though!

I applied to BSc courses because I found out that hundreds of people apply for courses that only offer 20-30 places, so I applied to as many as I could, just to get more of a chance!

The good thing with the MSc courses is that you can apply to as many as you like. It's not easy to get on these courses, I admit, but there is no harm in applying. You need as much work exp as you can get, ranging from hospital placement days to just beeing a volunteer somewhere else. Although some physio-related work exp placements are expected, you can do anything that shows you are interested in helping in the community to boost your application. I helped out in a clinic for stroke patients and mental health users and at my interviews, I was asked to talk about that.

I graduated last year and needed to get a job for this year to fill the bank! Through some volunteering, I got offered a job as a physio assistant at a school for parcially sighted children with additional physical disabilities. I'm not only working full time and on a wage now, but my physio experience has grown too.

I just made sure I was pro-active with finding work experience. You cant go wrong if you have LOADS of experience! You can never have enough.

I hope this helps

:rolleyes:
Reply 19
welcome!

I have an interview for the MSc based at KCL tomorrow, so I'll be able to let you know what type of things they ask, and they'll prob be the same as QMUC.

Generally i think you get asked the same things as for the BSc - why physio, tell us about your work experience, why here, why an MSc and not a BSc etc.

They are hihgly unlikely to ask you about treatments seeing as you're not qualified! You woudn't know about them so there;s little point in asking about them!

Perhaps in hindsight you should have applied for BSc too as the MScs are even more competitive than the BScs! But not to worry!

They don't know where else you've applied so its up to you wether you tell them or not. In my interview for BSc at St Georges I got asked if I had applied for an MSc - I told the ionterviewer I did and that was the end of the conversation........didn't ask where or anything.

Most importantly remain calm, don't lie (they can tell a lie from a mile off) if you don't know an answer, be honest and say you don't know, don't rush into your answers, feel free to take time to think and then answer. They aren't there to trip you up!

I'll post some of the questions I got aasked after Imy interview, so check back here tomorrow night!

Latest