The Student Room Group

Nosebleeds

I don't know what it is, but whenever I least expect it I get nosebleeds. I got one the other day in my Chemistry exam, and sometimes I get them when I'm asleep. It's has got past the point of annoyance now; I even went to my local hospital a few months ago and I still haven't heard anything back, so I assume it probably it isn't that important or I don't have anything at all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's down to stress
Noses are notoriously EMO, nothing to worry about. :top2:
You might need to get your nose cauterised. Go to your doctor or something.
Reply 4
I get them from stress and particularly at this time of year from the cold. Are you getting a lot of blood?
It is to do with the blood vessels in your nose bursting. Often caused by stress, high blood pressure, blowing your nose or picking your nose.

If they are really bad go to the doctor as you could have them cauterised.
Reply 6
hannah_dru
I get them from stress and particularly at this time of year from the cold. Are you getting a lot of blood?

Yes, it usually lasts for two minutes or so even with applied pressure and tissues.
Reply 7
Anonymous
Yes, it usually lasts for two minutes or so even with applied pressure and tissues.

That is quite bad. I agree with letsdothetimewarpagain- try going back to your doctor and see if they can find anything wrong with your nose.
hannah_dru
That is quite bad. I agree with letsdothetimewarpagain- try going back to your doctor and see if they can find anything wrong with your nose.

Get them cauterised.
I had exactly the same thing as a child, I would often wake up having bled all over my pillow. I stopped getting them for a few years, and then in year 11 just before my GCSEs exams it started happening again. I went to the doctor and they recommended I have the blood vessels in one of my nostrils cauterised (basically sealed off using heat). So I did, and I've not have a nose bleed in that nostril since (I've had a couple in the other one but not enough for it to be worth having it cauterised). If they're happening often, I recommend doing this.
Reply 10
Anonymous
I had exactly the same thing as a child, I would often wake up having bled all over my pillow. I stopped getting them for a few years, and then in year 11 just before my GCSEs exams it started happening again. I went to the doctor and they recommended I have the blood vessels in one of my nostrils cauterised (basically sealed off using heat). So I did, and I've not have a nose bleed in that nostril since (I've had a couple in the other one but not enough for it to be worth having it cauterised). If they're happening often, I recommend doing this.

I don't know if it's a temporary thing; I've got quite a bit of renovation work going around my house (maybe it's the dust?) or perhaps the stress of exams I'm sitting as well? I don't come under pressure from anyone to do much for the exams, but often I find myself putting pressure on myself and as a result it takes up a lot of what I think about during the weekend and the such. :frown:
Reply 11
How old are you? I had them a lot as a child and fairly frequently up until I was about sixteen. Sometimes they'd be very heavy and last for hours. But it's something I just... grew out of, and I very rarely get them now.
Reply 12
Anonymous

Yeah same with me when I was younger though!
Just make sure you hold the bridge of the nose and just let it stop.
Deffo go to the doctor, there may be a weak vessel or something that they may be able to do something about
Reply 13
dont drink coca cola
Reply 14
Do you get enough calcium? A while a go I had them every few days and I googled it and something came up about them being a side-effect of a lack of calcium. At the time I wasn't getting any (none for breakfast, no hot drinks with milk etc) so I started having milk with my porridge in the morning and it seemed to get rid of them!
Reply 15
I only get them in one nostril, and have them at the same times really.

Think it was because of a knock I once took to it from martial arts, but it's also genetic I think as my dad got them when he was stressed at my age.

It doesn't really effect me enough to consider getting my nose cauterised though...
Reply 16
Amiles
I only get them in one nostril, and have them at the same times really.

Think it was because of a knock I once took to it from martial arts, but it's also genetic I think as my dad got them when he was stressed at my age.

It doesn't really effect me enough to consider getting my nose cauterised though...

I'm 16 and I definitely get enough calcium; in fact, probably too much. I have milk with everything!

With regards to this quote, my dad has the same thing as me too - perhaps some genetic link on the Y chromosome, as you suggest? Might be a bit far-fetched though. :frown:
Reply 17
I definitely agree with the comments to get them cauterised. I used to get them really badly when I was younger and I've barely had one since. Its a really quick procedure anyway and doesn't hurt.
Reply 18
I had these all the time when I was younger - I had hayfever quite badly and apparently that made the blood vessels in my nose really sensitive. By the time we decided to get anything done about it, they were lasting for about a couple of hours each time!

Anyway, I got mine cauterised.. it stings a bit and they'll usually tell you not to get stressed or excited for a couple of weeks afterwards, but it works. I haven't had any major trouble with them since. :smile:
Reply 19
I had a massive nosebleed right before my Imperial interview and thought it was coincidence until I had another right before my Cambridge interview, so it might be down to stress. Also if you eat a lot of chocolate in one go it can give you a nosebleed and I hate it when you get nosebleeds while asleep! Sometimes I wake up and manage to stop it but once I woke up in the morning and the pillow was covered in blood, but saying that I don't get many nosebleeds anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest