The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
J4GGYBoss
As above?

Anything, really. Jobs could include accountancy, actuarial, banking, finance, consultancy, teaching, journalism, law (conversion), or even as a professional economist.
Investment Banking :yep:

I'd say the majority of economics applicants are aiming to become investment bankers after graduation - and for good reason (££££££) lol
everybody and their dogs want to be in IB..
Reply 4
Checkmate121

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration.
Reply 5
.ACS.
Anything, really. Jobs could include accountancy, actuarial, banking, finance, consultancy, teaching, journalism, law (conversion), or even as a professional economist.

What this person said, and there's more job opportunities aswell.
You could even become shadow chancellor for one of the parties, like Vince Cabel [however it's spelt]
:smile:
.ACS.
That's quite a bit of an exaggeration.

If only it was . . .
Reply 7
Checkmate121

I'll be honest... that never, ever crossed my mind!

And I don't want to work in banking :p:

I have no idea what I want to do, but it ain't that! I know a couple of others on my course don't want to go into banking either :p:
A lot of Economists are employed by the government economic service: http://www.ges.gov.uk/

Well its the largest recruiter of Economists, but IIRC you need to have a Masters in Economics to call yourself an Economists anyways

IB isn't the be all and end all of everyone doing an Economics degree
Reply 9
very few make ib in the end. personally, i'm not even going to try..it doesn't look fun and i know how stressful it is from my older brother who quit (at the right time too. he was at lehman lol).

Apart from ib though economics is good across the board. Anything in management for a start is going to be easier with an economics degree. It's one of those degrees which is extremely versatile, which is why i'm taking it
Working in the City
Somebody
I'll be honest... that never, ever crossed my mind!

And I don't want to work in banking :p:

I have no idea what I want to do, but it ain't that! I know a couple of others on my course don't want to go into banking either :p:

i wanted to do economics where you do it.

as far as the topics concerned i know nobody on my course who wants to get into IB
Reply 12
Anything in the city, IB, Chartered Accountancy, Actuarial Work, Economist, Management etc.
Tbh if you get a top degree from a top uni, you could do whatever you want as long as it is not vocational, like medicine or dentistry.
whoever said "everybody who does and economics degree wants to go inot IB"
does have a point that alot of probably do....but not all of course =]

Personally i want to do an economics degree because i like the subject and find it quite intresting, but it does relate to what i want to do which at the moment is something in management (i say at the moment becuase who knows what could happen in a few years) advantage is if i do change my mind there are other doors that could open to me with such a degree..

But hey i'm still in college so i havnt got anything to base it on except personal opinion...
Also I've heard the 'not for profit' sector being thrown around a lot as well but I'm not actually sure what it is yet!
Reply 15
neiljeff123
i wanted to do economics where you do it.

You should have come here! It's awesome! :biggrin:

Saying that - Durham's a nice place as well :smile:
Reply 16
thetopnotch
Also I've heard the 'not for profit' sector being thrown around a lot as well but I'm not actually sure what it is yet!

charities as far as i know. The directors at charities are generally required to have good economics knowledge.
olegirona
very few make ib in the end. personally, i'm not even going to try..it doesn't look fun and i know how stressful it is from my older brother who quit (at the right time too. he was at lehman lol).

Apart from ib though economics is good across the board. Anything in management for a start is going to be easier with an economics degree. It's one of those degrees which is extremely versatile, which is why i'm taking it

was/is he rich?
you can be an investment banker
Reply 19
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
was/is he rich?

he's no alan sugar. but he was earning 80k there after 2 years aged 24 which isn't bad. he just really hated the job and his colleagues so he quit. Why spend your life doing a job you hate for money you don't need? he works as a sales manager for a software company now on 45k and he loves it

Latest

Trending

Trending