The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Lauren_xxx
I keep thinking that all electrical switches should be turned off and the flexes removed to stop electricity escaping.

Is this true?

If not, why not.

My teacher didnt bother even listening to me properly.

thanx

Lauren xx

No. Electricity cannot 'escape' if leave a plug in, or leave the switch on if the device itself is turned off.

Why?

Well for electrical energy is transferred via charged electrons. This flow of charge is driven by a potential difference. Think of charge as being water in a hose, and the potential difference being the difference in pressure between the outside of the hose and the inside of the hose. The high pressure inside forces the flow of water towards the low pressure.

In an electric circuit, the same thing happens. A difference in potential (known as voltage) 'pushes' a flow of current through the circuit. If you turn the switch off, then you cause a break in the circuit, and hence the potential difference disappears, and the charge will not flow. Hence, if you turn the switch of your TV off, then you're still breaking the circuit, and charge will not flow, regardless of whether you take out the plug or turn it off at the wall.
Reply 2
My gran used to think the same. She used to put plugs with no leads in all sockets.

Latest