The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
brokenangel
:eyeball: Harrods is owned by by Mohamed Al-fayed so id say that it isnt controled by British culture.

That is completely irrelevant.

Harrods goes back to 1834, it is the brand which is a part of English culture.

It's like saying just because the Queen has German ancestry, that makes the monarchy not a part of English culture.
Asteron
Where do you base this statement on? Do you have a source for this? As far as I'm aware, there are plenty of restaurants/takeaways in China/India - not the corporate monsters that we have over here, but they do have such things.

My step dad is chinese, we own a resturant and a takeaway and put it this way id never dream of eating 90% of the stuff on the menu as its not chinese as with the rest of the chinese takeaway near us. As it is designed for the british taste. For example if my nana decided to put sweet and sour chicken down infront of me id say she had finally lost her mind.

Im not saying they dont exist im just say they are different and what you see as chinese/indian food is actually more british.
Reply 42
brokenangel
My step dad is chinese, we own a resturant and a takeaway and put it this way id never dream of eating 90% of the stuff on the menu as its not chinese as with the rest of the chinese takeaway near us. As it is designed for the british taste. For example if my nana decided to put sweet and sour chicken down infront of me id say she had finally lost her mind

Without sounding hypocritical to my original statement, I would say that Chinese/Indian takeaways have evolved into an aspect of our modern culture. As you say, they have adapted to suit British taste, yet retain their unique heritage.

My problem is with cultures which do not intend to integrate and adapt to the culture of this country, and pounce/force their ideas and beliefs upon other people.
Asteron
My problem is with cultures which do not intend to integrate and adapt to the culture of this country, and pounce/force their ideas and beliefs upon other people.

A culture existing within a culture is a not a problem ie yes you will get mosque, halal food shops etc in muslim area. Just like you have 4 chinese supermarkets in newcastle that i know of. Although the people of these cultures have intergrated into society they still need area to practise aspects of their own culture which they wish to maintain. If we were to force people to stop doing this we are just as bad your making them out to be when you say they are forcing their beliefs on other people.

These area that contain shops,establishments etc which the op was original referring to have to exist in order for people to intergrate which should be excepted aslong as they arent harming anyone else.
brokenangel

Somethings about the british identity id be sad to see die out ie fish and chips but on the other hand id be more sad to see the parts of OUR culture that multi-culturalism brings aswell die aswell.

Funny how in the German speaking world there are lots of fish and chip takeaways under the brand "Nordsee" :h:mm:

brokenangel

Rich- drives a porsche/BMW/merc, designer clothes, big house in the suberbs, private schooled little angels, woman are generally very prity and fashionable etc

Ooh, we can have fun with this. Victorian equivelant?
Has his very own thoroughbred carriage pulled by a horse called Porsche or Mercedes. Tailored clothes - by royal appointment naturally. Big town house too - and state schools not existing until the latter Victorian times, public school naturally. Very pretty wife from well-to-do family.

brokenangel

Poor person- chav, drinks cheap cider, hangs aroud on street corners smoking from a young age, 20 kids by the age of 30 etc

Poor person - drinks stronger stuff than cider, still hangs around on street corners, smoking from birth due to the pollution - and is lucky to live to the age of 30, and if they have, they've had or fathered more than 20 kids. (And does not wear fingerless gloves or sing happy tunes while dancing a choreographed routine in the streets.)

brokenangel

Streets- estates of identical houses that will have most likely have been pulled down unlike the victorian houses we tressure today.

Street estates of identical houses to house the masses that will have most likely have been pulled down - unlike the individual treasures put up during the tudor times.

Interesting similarities :smile:
Reply 45
I think Britain's loss of national identity has far more to do with the influx of American media and brands than it does with Mosques or Afro-Caribbean shops. The problem is not that other cultures exist in Britain alongside British culture, but that Britain has very little sense of what its own cultural identity actually is, and thus its very easy for cultures with a strong sense of identity to dominate.

Other European countries have not retained their national identity to a greater extent because they have a smaller proportion of immigrants. They have retained it because they have a linguistic barrier separating them from the US, and are in general far less receptive to its obsession with disposing of anything more than a year old in place of something newer, shinier, and more economical.
how can you talk about a typically british national identity when we have the history we do? i.e celts, romans, etc. etc. etc. etc. theres such a multitude, its hard to give a national identity. take a french person whos bloodline is 'french'... for example. all their past relations will be from france, as such. take someone from england, and see where it gets you. to a multitude of other countries.
Reply 47
We 'native' Britons have done far more to harm our own culture in the post-war period than any amount of immigrants, foreign sorts or religious dissenters ever have, particularly in the 1960s and 70s where it seems anything traditional was rejected for the sake of what was shiny, new and seemed a good idea at the time.

Our cityscapes, education system, communities, religious life, identity and so forth were all but destroyed by these twisted bastards.
It is most unfortunate that a country who has produced some great people, whether they were inventors, discoveries or whatever else, seem to ignore their impact on the world. Sure Britain has its bad points but all countries do. Perhaps they should teach the cultures, traditions and the great Britons from day one (rather than 1939) people might have a sense of identity to start with. Identities change over time through changes in political structures and religion and so on.

London has an identity albeit a very loose one. Usually when regional pride could be forged, such as from war against the Spanish, it was instead forged through the monarch and the country.
Reply 49
Where the fu** do you think Muslims are going to go to pray if there wasn't a mosque at the end of the street? Tesco doesn't stock a wide array of worldwide spices etc so do you expect people to move here and gorge themselves on british food? For god's sake, the british don't eat british food!!! Obviously living in Northern Ireland you don't see many different cultures but....welcome to the 21st century! If a country wants to be successful and have a growing economy then it will encourage people to move here and work here.
cpj1987
I don't mind the loss of national identity at all; I prefer things to be multi-cultural. I do worry about how much like America we're becoming, though.

but we're not a multi-cultural society we are a multi-society culture
Reply 51
but we're not a multi-cultural society we are a multi-society culture
It is my view that multi-culturalism causes more problems than it solves, I would prefer it if they integrated into our society rather than living in little bubbles of there own. But looking at the Brits is southern Spain that is a bit hypocritical.

Latest

Trending

Trending