The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can find out the first two things quite readily, such as ok wikipedia

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Table
2) http://www.btinternet.com/~akme/occxleg2.html

I don't think the latter exists on a college level. That would be creepy and I question your motivation for wanting to see such a list. Certainly I would protest against the publication of such a list.

They do publish the ethnicity breakdown of each university though, as well as every university in Britain. I've never endeavoured to look for it, but I think it's just in the reporter where they have the big list of statistics.
Reply 2
The West Wing
You can find out the first two things quite readily, such as ok wikipedia

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Table
2) http://www.btinternet.com/~akme/occxleg2.html

I don't think the latter exists on a college level. That would be creepy and I question your motivation for wanting to see such a list. Certainly I would protest against the publication of such a list.

They do publish the ethnicity breakdown of each university though, as well as every university in Britain. I've never endeavoured to look for it, but I think it's just in the reporter where they have the big list of statistics.

Oh ok thanks muchly for the links! :yep:
Haha ok yeah on a college level it would be weird, but I thought every uni does it overall? I was just wondering really. :dontknow:
Reply 3
The West Wing

I'd be surprised if the data doesn't exist, and as such they'd probably have to release it upon request.
BrightGirl
The two things are not related in the title btw.

I was just wondering what that website is where it lists how well academically each college in cambridge and oxford does? And is there a site which puts them in order of how rich each one is?

The Tomkins Table for Cambridge Colleges and The Norrington Table for Oxford show colleges academic performances.

Richest Colleges. The data's a bit out of date. New Hall received a £30m donation so is much richer than that table suggests. Girton is a fair bit richer. But it should give you a general idea. Oxford data is here.

Don't read too much into the Tompkins table though- it's massively flawed. Firstly, it's biased in favour of science subjects against the arts (as arts subjects give out fewer firsts and 2.IIs and more 2.Is), which gets less Tompkins points, promotes overly pressurising borderline first candidates and neglecting borderline 2.I candidates and promotes overly an overly pressurised atmosphere. Several colleges which do well in the table have room balloting based on the results of the previous year. One college 'deaned' (sent to the dean of discipline in the college) someone who got a third in a mock exam. Also, Tompkins places vary on a year-to-year basis. It's also, one might argue, sexist, since girls tend to get more 2.Is and fewer firsts and 2.IIs than boys.

Also, is there a website which has percentages of the different ethnicities in cambridge/oxford or the colleges or something? There probably isn't, I tried googling, but was just wondering.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Look at the colleges admission stats (on their websites). They may give you an idea.
ttx
I'd be surprised if the data doesn't exist, and as such they'd probably have to release it upon request.

I very much agree, but I don't believe it's public domain. You might be able to weasel it out of them with data protection or whatever but I doubt it would be worth it for such small sample sizes.
Reply 6
Arrogant Git
The Tomkins Table for Cambridge Colleges and The Norrington Table for Oxford show colleges academic performances.

Richest Colleges. The data's a bit out of date. New Hall received a £30m donation so is much richer than that table suggests. Girton is a fair bit richer. But it should give you a general idea. Oxford data is here.

Don't read too much into the Tompkins table though- it's massively flawed. Firstly, it's biased in favour of science subjects against the arts (as arts subjects give out fewer firsts and 2.IIs and more 2.Is), which gets less Tompkins points, promotes overly pressurising borderline first candidates and neglecting borderline 2.I candidates and promotes overly an overly pressurised atmosphere. Several colleges which do well in the table have room balloting based on the results of the previous year. One college 'deaned' (sent to the dean of discipline in the college) someone who got a third in a mock exam. Also, Tompkins places vary on a year-to-year basis. It's also, one might argue, sexist, since girls tend to get more 2.Is and fewer firsts and 2.IIs than boys.

Look at the colleges admission stats (on their websites). They may give you an idea.

Ooh okay, ta for that reply, v helpful.
Quick question, do the colleges at the top of the table tend to be the most popular ones?
And the richest ones, would they provide the most funding/financial support?
Reply 7
The West Wing
I very much agree, but I don't believe it's public domain. You might be able to weasel it out of them with data protection or whatever but I doubt it would be worth it for such small sample sizes.

The Freedom of Information Act pretty much puts all non-sensitive uni documents into the public domain. If the OP wants the data she can probably get it.
BrightGirl
Ooh okay, ta for that reply, v helpful.
Quick question, do the colleges at the top of the table tend to be the most popular ones?

This is the top of Tompkins table numbering it by applications per place (1 is the most popular, 31 is the least).

As you can see, the top 'academic' colleges are not all the most popular. Although it is true that the less academic colleges also tend to be the least popular, you can probably argue that they are less academic because they take more people from the pool who are 'second choice'.

And the richest ones, would they provide the most funding/financial support?

Yeah. But there's decent bursaries, grants and prizes wherever you go if you need/want them enough. It's just at the richer colleges, they're more readily available (you can easily get money for a holiday at trinity for example). If money is an issue, you won't be much better off at any one college than any other. Postgraduate funding has better availability at rich colleges.
Reply 9
Arrogant Git
This is the top of Tompkins table numbering it by applications per place (1 is the most popular, 31 is the least).

As you can see, the top 'academic' colleges are not all the most popular. Although it is true that the less academic colleges also tend to be the least popular, you can probably argue that they are less academic because they take more people from the pool who are 'second choice'.

Yeah. But there's decent bursaries, grants and prizes wherever you go if you need/want them enough. It's just at the richer colleges, they're more readily available (you can easily get money for a holiday at trinity for example). If money is an issue, you won't be much better off at any one college than any other. Postgraduate funding has better availability at rich colleges.

Ahhh interesting, thank you!
I'll have a look at the bursaries, I suppose they'll be for people who have household incomes of under a certain amount though.
Repped for your help.
Reply 11

Oh gosh thanks very much for that! That's exactly the thing I wanted! :yep:
Is there one for cambridge as well?
There probs is, but I'll leave it to a Cambridge student to point you out to those! Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything, but am sure the info must be available somewhere!

Just out of interest, why do you want the ethnicity stats? They do vary year by year, so don't put too much emphasis on them! :smile:
Reply 13
The_Lonely_Goatherd
There probs is, but I'll leave it to a Cambridge student to point you out to those! Did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything, but am sure the info must be available somewhere!

Just out of interest, why do you want the ethnicity stats? They do vary year by year, so don't put too much emphasis on them! :smile:

Ah I kind of found the cambridge ones after a bit of searching, but I dunno how it's done because according to it, in 2007 they had around 500,000 applicants...:s-smilie:
Oh I just wanted to see the diversity of ethnicities really. Wanted to see how many of my background there is, out of interest hehe. :smile:
Lol! Hope you had better luck than me with that! :wink:
Reply 15
For individual colleges ethnicity statistics are unlikely to be statistically significant due to the small numbers involved. Particularly when you take into account that decisions on each subject will be being made by different groups of people.
Reply 16
Why is Selwyn shown to be the poorest college when it isn't? :confused: It's about 15th richest at last count, I believe, which was last year.
Reply 17
brimstone
Why is Selwyn shown to be the poorest college when it isn't? :confused: It's about 15th richest at last count, I believe, which was last year.

International communist conspiracy. Obviously.
brimstone

Don't think so, unless the Bursar has won the lottery. It's a very poor college, not quite as badly off as some of the newest colleges, but certainly without any great endowment. Anne's Court and the new building is being funded by alumni, otherwise it wouldn't have happened at all.
Reply 19
threeportdrift
Don't think so, unless the Bursar has won the lottery. It's a very poor college, not quite as badly off as some of the newest colleges, but certainly without any great endowment. Anne's Court and the new building is being funded by alumni, otherwise it wouldn't have happened at all.

Varsity don't seem to think so :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending