The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't think the TSA has really been around long enough for any data on correlations between high TSA scores and success on the course, let alone after graduation (how would you measure that anyway?) to exist. Even when such data is eventually collected, I doubt it'll be conclusive.
As for intelligence, I suppose TSA-style "critical thinking" does form one component of IQ tests, so there may be some correlation there, though not necessarily a very strong one, because not everybody who gets high scores in IQ tests will have scored highly in this particular category (and vice versa).
I think it's more a test of ability to spot flaws in arguments, and underlying assumptions, rather than a test of intelligence per se.

It's just, with the courses that do the TSA, you'll be exposed to a lot of arguments that require evaluation, and if you can't do that, you'll not do very well on the course.

(I'm specifically thinking about PPE, but it could apply to any subject which requires the TSA really).
I got 92% on the TSA and didn't get into Merton College Oxford... So i think its only a way of weeding out applicants for interview...
Reply 4
Very little correlation, from what I've heard.

EDIT: Ok, I was completely wrong, apparently there is a very strong correlation between TSA scores and tripos performance (at least in cambridge for the 2004 intake)

See here: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/103046_Predicting_Degree_Performance_with_the_TSA_-_report_1__24-04-06_.pdf
Reply 5
how do we get our tsa results
TomTeeTom
how do we get our tsa results

On 30th January via your test centre.
Reply 7
JohnKennedy
I got 92% on the TSA and didn't get into Merton College Oxford... So i think its only a way of weeding out applicants for interview...

Hey how do you know what you got in the TSA?
coren111

Read the two posts preceding yours.
coren111

The tutors told me at inteview that i had done v.well and i asked what i got and one of them said around 92.
JohnKennedy
The tutors told me at inteview that i had done v.well and i asked what i got and one of them said around 92.

What did you apply for? Do I know you? :p:
JohnKennedy

I find that very hard to believe coming from tutors - it is their job to remain professional and keep a level playing field after all (i.e. if they that all candidates shall find out their results on the 30th of Jan, all candidates should) - it is something that I would think most if not all would take very seriously

Latest

Trending

Trending