The Student Room Group

Missing the STEP requirements or the A level requirements, which is preferrable?

I've got an offer for mathematics at Queens' AAAA and a 1, 1 in STEP II and III. If worst came to worst and i missed my offer, would i stand a better chance of still getting in with:

a) AAAB and a 1, 1 in STEP. (The B in physics or economics)
b) AAAA and a 1, 2 in STEP.

It's going to be a lot of work so i'm just trying to figure out how to allocate my time most effectively. I appreciate that noone can give a definitive answer here but would anyone have a rough idea on what they would prefer?

Also, if I were to end up with 600/600 UMS in Further Maths would this work in my favour if I informed them of that?

I'd rather not email Queens' as it does sound pretty pessimistic so any advice on here would be great, thanks in advance
I'd concentrate on getting the B in physics / economics up to an A rather than trying to get full marks in Further Maths.

Otherwise the B in A-level would be preferable to missing your STEP grades.
Reply 2
Obviously the STEP is more important, that's why cambridge requests it, and it's what most failed maths applicants lose out on. Even if Queens didn't accept the AAAB, you'd stand a good chance in the summer pool with a 1,1 in STEP. It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, do try and meet the offer if possible.
Reply 3
A 1,1 in STEP is fairly obviously the better thing to have, if it has to be a choice. But the most useful (if annoying!) answer is that you should work as hard as you can to meet the entire offer! As *paneity* says, though, a 1,1 will look better in the Summer Pool.

Try not to worry about this stuff - you've about 5 months to ace these things, and it's almost certainly well within your abilities. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks everyone, i thought that would be the case, i'll definitely try and get the grades anyway though!
Reply 5
I know (of) somebody who wasn't accepted post-offer, having achieved b). Getting good STEP grades would surely be more important for a prospective mathematician.
Reply 6
AAAB11 would give you a better chance in the Summer Pool, as long as the B wasn't in Maths/Further Maths, but you'd still stand a chance with AAAA12 (some colleges only ask for 1, 2 in STEP anyway).
unlucky bro, that offer is gnarly.

i got AAB and a 1,2 in step, lol. and to meet the AAB I need CCD at A2 given my AS grades:P
Reply 8
AAAB and a 1, 1 in STEP would still be higher than my offer O.o

Latest

Trending

Trending