The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm already looking back and thinking it was a great time. My frees were spent drinking coffee and playing card games and talking with my friends.
The work was fairly easy, and I thrived off the success.
All my teachers new me personally.
It was generally just a good time in my life. L6 more than U6 I think.
its alright ...a bit boring now. Can't wait for Uni!
Each question answered individually.

1. I really enjoy sixth form now. I started sixth form at one school and hated so moved after 6 weeks and now love it. New friends, new ways of teaching. It is certainly better than secondary school, your learning is more in your own hands.

2. In my frees, I listen to music, talk to friends, watch a DVD or do work depending on my mood.

3. It is certainly better than secondary school, your learning is more in your own hands. I went to a girls secondary school which was good at the time, but the contact with the boys is better at this age.

4. Of course it is normal to find the work hard at times. If I don't understand then I take myself to private study and look over it again and if that doesn't work then go and talk to my subject teacher again and ask for a bit more help. if you enjoy your subjects then you will have the motivation to keep going even if you do find it tough at times. A level are 'advanced' so such be tough.

5. It is achiveable by all means, if you work hard you will get there.
Reply 23
my time at 6th form is/was the best in education so far.

in frees I went to friends, or just took it easy, sometimes I even did some studying.

I thought it was better then secondary school, more freedom (I went to my schools 6th form so knew most of the teachers)
I love sixth form :smile:

Tons better than secondary school, as I'm not in uniform, teachers are better (my school saves the best teachers till A-Levels :rolleyes:) and are much more relaxed and trusting of you.

We had an influx of new people at the start of Year 12, loads of which have been really lovely. You make friends with people you simply never saw in the lower years, and classes are often smaller and more enthusiastic.

At the moment, I work in pretty much all my frees, but that's only because I'm sitting on an AAA medicine offer, and am terrified of not making it :wink: It's made easier by the fantastic bakery and off-licence five mins walk down the road and some good people to share it with. Always up for a drive into town for coffee or a Chinese for lunch though, plenty of my year group drive.

Pressure's off by going to an all-girls sixth form as well; when we're all a bit stressed and pissy, it helps that no one makes an effort but Year 12, who still do their hair and wear makeup and no hoodies every day. None of us have anyone to impress but one another, which makes it fine to just wear a hoodie and jeans when the day's going a bit ****.

You can get those grades if you're willing to work at it, and if you've been sensible picking your A-Levels :smile:
It's alright. Although it's still part of "secondary school" up here.
I hated Sixth Form. Worst years of my life.
Reply 27
I hate sixth form. I can't wait to get out of here and go to university.
what do you do in your frees?
All sorts. If I have a free between lessons me and my friends normally go to the High Street and have something to eat in a café down there, sometimes we sit in the library and revise or go back to someone's house. In the summer we sit on the field and play cards and read. If I have a free first or last I normally spend it at home. Same applies to lunch.

do you find that is much better than secondary school???
It's much, much better than high school. It's so much more mature and everyone that is there wants to be there which makes an enormous difference.

is it normal to find the work hard at times
Of course it's normal to find it hard. If you didn't find the work hard there'd be no fun in learning.

and am i likely to get A's even though i got 2A 3B and 3C at GCSE, becasue i work really really really hard,and i know i have the ability, is it a probably goal???
You can achieve any grade you want if you work hard enough. I didn't so I got crap AS grades.

By the way I go to a Sixth Form College which is seperate from any school and if you want an idea of what it's like I've got this Flickr set of photos I've taken at college in the last year and a half.
Reply 29
Some aspects are good, like being paid to sit around the common room doing nothing all day. But that can be bad at the same time, cause our lessons are always cancelled and half the time it seems like our teachers just don't give a crap.
Reply 30
Sixth form is like being held as responsible for your actions as an adult while still being treated like a kid.
Reply 31
It's a better atmosphere in 6th form, i don't realy have any frees this year (my 1st year) any free time i find myself with i end up working, don't really get a chance to do anything else.
I only have two- one on tuesday afternoons which I can go home for and I normally do a fair ammount of work in and one on friday mornings for 2 hours which I have to go into school for so I normally do a bit of work in the first hour and talk with friends/watch them play chess/ listen to music on the big speaker in the common room.

do you find that is much better than secondary school???is it normal to find the work hard at times
in some ways yes- i can wear what i like, im doing subjects i want to do and enjoy, & by moving to a different school i've met loads of new people. its also nice being in a mixed environment where as my old school was all girls. however I miss certain people from my old school a lot and feel i've grown more distant from them since i've left- something which I seem unable to do anything about. Only thing I don't like really about 6th form other than leaving old faces behind is the history teacher who's treating us like we are in yr9 by checking our folders and then commenting if we havent' done something exactly as she wants it to be done.
Reply 33
Bexxie2008
hi all...
i was just wondering what you guys think of sixth form life. is it a time you will look back on in 20years or so and recall it is a good.bad experience.
do you find that is much better than secondary school???
is it normal to find the work hard at times
and am i likely to get A's even though i got 2A 3B and 3C at GCSE, becasue i work really really really hard,and i know i have the ability, is it a probably goal???
please share your views
xx

Firstly I got mostly Cs and Ds at GCSE and I worked my socks off the last year and 1/2 (i'm in A2) and I'm telling you it is really, really hard. You will have to give up social time and have less than what you are used to.
Nowhere near as good as uni, not even as good as standard Y7-11.
I really enjoyed sixth form. It felt a lot different to be being at secondary school - on a different site, no uniform and much nicer building. It was a lot more laid back.
In our frees we either worked in the library or canteen or went into town.
The workload was ok, we had a bit of a problem in history when the teacher took loads of time off and as we didn't have supply teachers in sixth form we struggled a bit in some areas.
I found myself missing sixth form quite a bit at uni at first, although I soon realised how much we'd been spoon-fed lol.
it's pretty good IMO. I'm in the lower 6th, but I only have 4 free periods a week, which is kinda annoying, but I love not having to do maths and science anymore!
Reply 37
Hate it! Yes you get frees, yes you have more freedom in general and yes we do have a good laugh in the common room. However, I hate school in general, I find the work hard and often I feel there's too much to cope with!

But in 10 yrs time I'm prob going to be thinking I wish I was in yr13 again! :smile:
i loved sixth form, made some really good friends and just generally enjoyed myself :^_^:
the workload was a bit more than secondary school, but nothing crazy...
in my frees i attempted to work, but always ended up getting distracted :awesome:
the work isn't neccessarily hard, u just have to keep on top of things... make sure ur notes are up to date (something i didn't do :rolleyes:) and so come exam time you'll have less to do, and more time for past paper practice
try not to stress out too much about it, when the time comes u'll be able to see for yourself how much work u need to put in to get the right grades... just prioritise ur stuff :h:
Reply 39
What do you do in your frees?
I rarely have any, such is the curse of IB at a very pressured school. Last year when I had more I would work in them, but now it just seems as if I have to relax or I'll burn out.
Is it better than Secondary School?
Well my 6th Form is at my 2ndary school, so it's pretty much the same. But we do get the benefits like Common Room, frees, etc. So yes.
Is it normal to find the work hard at times?
Hell yes. A friend of mine who graduated from Cambridge and was at a very good girls school near me said that she had never worked as hard as in her U6th. It's meant to be hard, but then you're meant to pick subjects you enjoy.
Am I likely to get A's?
If you want it badly enough, yes. You say you work hard and that's all that counts.

Latest

Trending

Trending