The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else had a fabby time at the open day?

I really want to go now. Damn you reps. I'm going to cry if I miss this offer!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Yeah, it was a good laugh, they gave us one hell of a welcome at the train station! :p: So glad it's my firm choice :biggrin:
Reply 62
We officially NEED a proper facebook group for VM freshers! I can't believe there isn't one, but since I am not good at facebook I'll wait for someone else to set one up...

I'm really annoyed cus I met loads of people on the open day who I never got round to asking the names of! It sounds really stupid, but I was having the funniest convo with this guy about bad sex in literature and then I had to run off to langs, without getting a chance to ask who he was! Gutted :frown:

Further proof that we need a facebook grouo URGENTLY, it's the only way we'll all be able to find each other again!
Reply 64
Hope you all enjoyed the open days. It was great seeing so many excited looking people walking up the road. The reps put in a lot of effort as normal, I hope to see you all in October. And if there are any potential rowers or badminton players amongst you, feel free to ask me anything about those sports at Mildert!
Shmerm
Hope you all enjoyed the open days. It was great seeing so many excited looking people walking up the road. The reps put in a lot of effort as normal, I hope to see you all in October. And if there are any potential rowers or badminton players amongst you, feel free to ask me anything about those sports at Mildert!

Heyy, were you a rep?

Wait, a sec, I remember someone shouting "Engineering and Maths" loads, maybe that was you.

I thought it was absolutely awesome :biggrin: Will be firming later :smile:
Reply 66
-WhySoSerious?
I remember someone shouting "Engineering and Maths" loads, maybe that was you :smile:

I just remember the guy who came down the stairs holding up is Civil Engineering banner and shouted "WHO'S COOL?"
SpamBa
I just remember the guy who came down the stairs holding up is Civil Engineering banner and shouted "WHO'S COOL?"

lol :grin:

You on the facebook group now?
Reply 68
-WhySoSerious?
lol :grin:

You on the facebook group now?

That I am, bloody wish I was there now, school is so lame it is actually driving me mad!
The open day was amazing.
I shall treasure my inflatable hand.
Reply 70
roll on october :biggrin:
(grades permitting)
I know.
If I don't get my grades, I think I might die.
could somebody rave about mildert and basically say how great it is...? What are the facilities like, formals? accoodation? sports groups? theatre groups? library? Urgently because trying to college transfer and they seem up for it but I just want to look at my choices as aidans and st mary's seem keen too :smile: thank you
Well, don't know too much about other colleges, but Mildert was pretty damn good.

I've got some pictures at home, i'll upload a few of the rooms and stuff.

Formals are...once a week? I don't think you need a gown or anything, just a nice dinner with your mates etc, and then go our after.

Accomodation was really good compared to some other unis i've seen before. You get a sink in every room with shared bathrooms/toilets (mostly, i think there are some en-suites). My room had a view of the lake, which was pretty cool too :smile:

Mildert have their own library, but we didn't get to have a look inside. There are a couple of rooms up there with big comfy sofas and a tv for relaxing and whatnot. If you're musical, they also have two practise rooms and a recording studio!

Sports is basically the same as the rest of Durham, you have rowing, and all the sports that you would usually get. 5 football teams apparantly, and a decent sized gym with some new ergos coming soon.

erm, thats all i can think of atm!
Reply 74
-WhySoSerious?
Heyy, were you a rep?

Wait, a sec, I remember someone shouting "Engineering and Maths" loads, maybe that was you.

I thought it was absolutely awesome :biggrin: Will be firming later :smile:

SpamBa

I wasn't a rep, I was around, but one of the reps was a 3rd year Civil Engineer, so it was probably him! Did he have crazy blond hair?
Reply 75
I wish it was 2006 again! =/
Reply 76
ellie_flower
could somebody rave about mildert and basically say how great it is...? What are the facilities like, formals? accoodation? sports groups? theatre groups? library? Urgently because trying to college transfer and they seem up for it but I just want to look at my choices as aidans and st mary's seem keen too :smile: thank you

WhySoSerious has summed it up pretty well, I'll just try and add to that.

Firstly, Mildert is amazing, you'll have the time of your life if you come here and never forget it.

Formals are every couple of weeks. You don't have to go, they are fun though. No gowns.

Accomodation is excellent. All of the blocks are newly refurbished in one way or another. Food is generally acceptable (similar to most other colleges).

Loads of sports teams. Badminton (both men's and ladies' A teams have won their premierships this year, as Men's A team captain I'm very proud!), hockey, rugby, football, basketball (all have both men's and ladies' teams), netball, and some more. Rowing is a great thing to get involved with, if you're keen you'll have a really good chance of getting to race. Also, the club spirit is very high, much higher than most other clubs from my experience.

Theatre: mildert puts on productions throughout the year. There's the panto, the 48 hour production, the cabaret and the summer production. There's lots of opportunities to get involved.

The library seems good. As an engineer, I had never been in until yesterday (though if you do any other subject you'll go in more than me!).

Room with a PS3 and big TV, can be booked out for computer games or film watching.

Best college bar in Durham. Official.

Anyway, COME TO MILDERT! You'll love it!
Here are a few pics that i took :smile:

Reply 78
hahah nice pic of the messy bed there :wink:

and that guy john in the last one was my corridor rep
Reply 79
Shmerm
I wasn't a rep, I was around, but one of the reps was a 3rd year Civil Engineer, so it was probably him! Did he have crazy blond hair?

Yep. And he did the quiz with a boy called Zac doing Theology, whilst they were both (I think) a bit tipsy!

Latest