The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Further Maths would not count as a 3rd A-level
Reply 2
Thanks Alias, but are you absolutely sure? Does it count as 4th AS at least?
Reply 3
My friend got a £5000 scholarship to UCL to study Maths and she had AAA at A-Level with Maths, Further Maths and Physics, so I think that Oxbridge would accept Further Maths as an A-Level.

Hope this helps x
Reply 4
I'm not sure if it would count as a 4th AS but all the unis I've looked at don't accept further maths as an A2 at least. Try looking on the website or contacting the uni to find out
Reply 5
lots of places don't take it, it'll be on their website so have a gander for yourself :smile:

ps: there's a separate subsection for threads like this, have a scout around TSR and you'll be surprised what's already come up :smile:

*</backseat moderating>*
Alias__
I'm not sure if it would count as a 4th AS but all the unis I've looked at don't accept further maths as an A2 at least. Try looking on the website or contacting the uni to find out

thats only for medicine.
goldensyrup
Would Maths, Further Maths and Music be enough or would Further Maths not really count as a 3rd Alevel?

Tbh, I'm not convinced it would be counted as a 3rd A Level! Are you leaning more towards the Oxford course or the Cambridge one? If the Oxford Music course, I can give you the e-mail address of the right person to ask and you can PM me any questions you may have about it :smile:
Reply 8
take food tech for alevel instead that will count.
Reply 9
It should count but why not take another subject instead?

Music and maths are very strong together, and if you have a third A-level in an art or science subject like hisory, English literature or Chemistry, you'll be sorted! (As far as options go at least).
Reply 10
E-mail an admissions tutor, they're far more likely to know what they're talking about than we do.
Well i think youd be better off not doing futher math and trying an essay based subject instead.

Where else were you thinking of applying to??
Reply 12
Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice! Lonely Goatherd, I'm not sure which uni really - whichever has the most performance opportunity and I'm guessing that's Oxford rather than Cambridge but not sure,any thoughts? Also one that's open to other styles and not just classical. Someone said Nottingham and KCL are good too.

Can anyone give feedback on differences between Oxf and Cam music courses?
Reply 13
hanzyhan
My friend got a £5000 scholarship to UCL to study Maths and she had AAA at A-Level with Maths, Further Maths and Physics, so I think that Oxbridge would accept Further Maths as an A-Level.

Hope this helps x

It doesn't really. The prerequisites for a music degree and a mathematics degree are going to be very different. While FM is fine for most science courses, some arts departments might want their prospective students to have studied more than two different subjects (particularly since one's a science).
goldensyrup
Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice! Lonely Goatherd, I'm not sure which uni really - whichever has the most performance opportunity and I'm guessing that's Oxford rather than Cambridge but not sure,any thoughts? Also one that's open to other styles and not just classical. Someone said Nottingham and KCL are good too.

Can anyone give feedback on differences between Oxf and Cam music courses?

Heya! I've gotta dash to an ethnomusicology lecture, but will PM you with the e-mail address and info about the Oxford course and Ox-Cam differences when I get back :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending