The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Salinger
think i did get x = 4, just couldn't rememebr because i had C4 lesson straight after exam..

shuttle total swaps was 17 i think, comparisons = 23.
bubble was 17 swaps, 30 comparisons
so shuttle more effficient

I got the numbers wrong, but I still said shuttle had less comparisons and so was more efficient so will I still get a mark?
elliot22
I hope they do give method marks, because I think I might have made a mistake.

I didn't read it properly and spent about 5 minutes trying to draw a graph with an x, y and z axis. Then I read it and re-did it! What a stupid error.

I got pretty much the same as you PindropSilence. :smile:

HA! that's exactly what i started out doing... drew 3 axis :p:

then re-read the question... but still misread one part by forgetting the constraint! SO PISSED OFF!! I always make some stupid mistake that I look back on and think arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!! 8 MARKS AS WELL!! I need method marks!!
Reply 22
elliot22
I got the numbers wrong, but I still said shuttle had less comparisons and so was more efficient so will I still get a mark?

should do, you might have being right with 15, and i'm wrong with 17..
i spent far too long on the shuttle question and not enough time thinking about question 5.. i got totally different to what everyone has said on graph.. for simplex i got P = 20 at x = 4, y = 0, z= 0
for graph i got P = 16 i think.
i'm relying on Method marks for graph.. but thing is i did all the working on graph paper and it's incredibly scruffy because i rushed it.
Reply 23
Salinger
should do, you might have being right with 15, and i'm wrong with 17..
i spent far too long on the shuttle question and not enough time thinking about question 5.. i got totally different to what everyone has said on graph.. for simplex i got P = 20 at x = 4, y = 0, z= 0
for graph i got P = 16 i think.
i'm relying on Method marks for graph.. but thing is i did all the working on graph paper and it's incredibly scruffy because i rushed it.

I got P = 16 first time, but then I changed it to P = 17
I'm pretty sure I got something like 15 swaps for the shuttle sort... plus the 2 from above, so 17... but it didn't ask for a total, it asked for the values of each pass... so people will get marks even if the total wasn't accurate... i did that question twice i had so much time!! should've checked the linear programming :p:
Reply 25
oh yeah, elliot so your right.. it was 15 for that part..
i just added the other two.. so were all right for that one (hopefully)
Reply 26
Did anyone agree that this paper was quite a bit more challenging than previous years? The simplex & linear programming questions at the end were also quite a bugger - considering there were 18 marks just for that.

What was 2iii (why a graph with orders 1 2 2 3 4 cant be a tree)

Was Krukstal's 100 or something? Djikstra's was ok I think; got 56 as the weight. The route was fairly simple - just A up to B, back down to the centre and finally right to G Cant remember any other graph algorithms.

I found shuttle sort quite tricky. Had 8 paths, with 17 swaps and 23 comparisons as well I think (I remember a difference of 7 swaps between bubble & shuttle sort)

The linear programming was ghastly! I still dont know why it was 6x+4y+5z=< 24 (i think) for the preparation times . The only thing that occured to me was 60 mins (the total time) minus 12 + 12 + 12 (the baking times) = 24. Thus 12x + 8y + 10z =< 24. BUT THEN simplifying it down would give 6x+4y+5z=< 12, not 24.

Was the other constraint that they had to be whole integer values?

And the simplex/graph was haard! Profit was 20 on the simplex. Did anyone get 8/3 and something else like that? My final answer was y=3 x=1 or other way round.

Thanks for reading :smile:
I have never had to do 5 algorithms on the same graph before! I think they have run out of ideas to make the problem interesting lol.

I thought the paper was ok, but there was a LOT of reading to be done and the shuttle sort took hours.

In 5, what did people put for the other constraint thingy? I couldn't think of anything so I put that she might run out of ingredients...
Reply 28
MathsHamster
I have never had to do 5 algorithms on the same graph before! I think they have run out of ideas to make the problem interesting lol.

I thought the paper was ok, but there was a LOT of reading to be done and the shuttle sort took hours.

In 5, what did people put for the other constraint thingy? I couldn't think of anything so I put that she might run out of ingredients...

i put x =< 4 y=<4 z=<4..
brainblob
Did anyone agree that this paper was quite a bit more challenging than previous years? The simplex & linear programming questions at the end were also quite a bugger - considering there were 18 marks just for that.

Was Krukstal's 100 or something? Djikstra's was ok I think; got 56 as the weight. The route was fairly simple - just A up to B, back down to the centre and finally right to G Cant remember any other graph algorithms.

I found shuttle sort quite tricky. Had 8 paths, with 17 swaps and 23 comparisons as well I think (I remember a difference of 7 swaps between bubble & shuttle sort)

The linear programming was ghastly! I still dont know why it was 6x+4y+5z=< 24 (i think) for the preparation times . The only thing that occured to me was 60 mins (the total time) minus 12 + 12 + 12 (the baking times) = 24. Thus 12x + 8y + 10z =< 24. BUT THEN simplifying it down would give 6x+4y+5z=< 12, not 24.

And the simplex/graph was haard! Profit was 20 on the simplex. Did anyone get 8/3 and something else like that? My final answer was y=3 x=1 or other way round.

It was 4x+6y+5z=<24 to signify the preparation times... just simplified, if you doubled up, 4 x 2 = 8... and 8 mins preparation etc... and i think it was 24, because when you double that, it equals 48... and it says she can only bake 4 batches... it takes 12 minutes for each batch, therefore 4 x 12 = 48... and again, simplified...

Yes, profit was 20.. but x was 4, y and z were zero... you may have made a slight error in them 2 rows... but you got the profit correct.

Got the same in Djisktra and Kruskal's... and yes to the shuttle sort...

I wrote that it cannot be a tree because it is not a SIMPLE graph, as a simple graph has "no vertices that have an arc connect to itself"... but unsure
Reply 30
Salinger
oh yeah, elliot so your right.. it was 15 for that part..
i just added the other two.. so were all right for that one (hopefully)

Ah, I think 17 was right, but at least I know where I went wrong.
Reply 31
has anybody got a copy of the paper that they can scan in / quickly type up? or something.. because then we can get the answers from Mr M :yep: and put us all out of our misery (or in misery, in my case.)
Reply 32
For Mr M I think this was at least part of the Linear Programming question

Plain cookies (x) take 12 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake
Chocolate cookies =D (y) take 8 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake
Fruity cookies (z) take 10 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake

Jane has one hour to bake them I think

x y z >= 0
6x+4y+5z=< 24,
(and was there one other restraint?)

There was a proft of £5 and (maybe £7 I think) on two of them. Cant really remember. Use simplex to work out Profit x & y. (10 marks)

Then z was removed, and she wanted to make at least double the number of chocolate cookies as plain cookies (OR the other way around). A graphical solution had to be used (8 marks)
Reply 33
brainblob

I got the (1, 3) thing too, and that meant that profit was 17 for graphs.

But I also got 20 on the simplex.
Reply 34
brainblob
For Mr M I think this was at least part of the Linear Programming question

Plain cookies (x) take 12 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake
Chocolate cookies =D (y) take 8 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake
Fruity cookies (z) take 10 mins to prepare, 12 mins to bake

Jane has one hour to bake them I think

x y z >= 0
6x+4y+5z=< 24,
(and was there one other restraint?)

There was a proft of £5 and (maybe £7 I think) on two of them. Cant really remember. Use simplex to work out Profit x & y. (10 marks)

Then z was removed, and she wanted to make at least double the number of chocolate cookies as plain cookies (OR the other way around). A graphical solution had to be used (8 marks)

I think profit on x was £5, y was £4 and z was £3. And it was at least double chocolate as plain.

Constraint

wasn't one x + y + z has got to be less than or greater than something.
x + y + z has got to be less than or equal to 4
Reply 36
elliot22
I think profit on x was £5, y was £4 and z was £3. And it was at least double chocolate as plain.

Constraint

wasn't one x + y + z has got to be less than or greater than something.

Ahhh that sounds bettter :smile: Final thing, does that new constraint mean y >= 2x? (y=choc, x=plain)

Thanks v much :smile: Good luck for the rest of ur exams
Why don't we just wait for Mr M to get a copy for himself? It won't take long to, he could post the marks up by tomorrow really... and there would be no doubt
Reply 38
Hi LAL
Reply 39
PindropSilence
Why don't we just wait for Mr M to get a copy for himself? It won't take long to, he could post the marks up by tomorrow really... and there would be no doubt

Yeah ok. :smile:

Latest