The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Salinger
the squirrel question was alright.. it was the bus question that did me in.. the question about the bus was so stupid.. this year they've gone for a cake :shifty:

I did will on that practice paper with Cyril (got an A at least :p: ).

This one I'm dreading finding out how I did. :rolleyes:

I've been drowning my sorrows with a big bag of Minstrels..of which I only have a couple left..bad times.
What was Cyril the Squirrel? Do tell! :smile:
MathsHamster
What was Cyril the Squirrel? Do tell! :smile:

Last Summer the examiner's thought it would be funny to write a paragraph about a squirrel, named Cyril... and the aim was for us to find the shortest path he must travel (because he was lazy) to obtain nuts, and he wanted to be seen, so he would take the paths made for humans (vain)...

That, is a summary of what they thought they'd ask us about... maybe some psychological mind game to trick people into getting the wrong answer... these examiner's, are not human.
And I thought the one about Rhoda Raghe and the speed cameras was bad!
Reply 84
Lol I remember doing both of those papers as mocks, gave me a little snigger.
Reply 85
that stupid squirrel is the reason why i was retaking D1 today
Hmm.. it was interesting I guess, but not too bad I don't think!

a) managed to get 297.. with a minute to go.. mind my uselessness hehe - struggled adding 1 to C twice :biggrin:
b) got 0 with no problem
c) don't remember what i got!

a) a bit of a giveaway :biggrin: nice and easy hehe
b) semi-eulerian (1,2,2,3,4... 2 odds i think.. :P)
c) would form a cycle so it isnt a tree :smile: drew a pic for the examiner too!

long and bloody beautiful :smile: a very nice 1/3 of the paper free marks there!
100 for spanning tree
77 lower bound
126 upper bound (2 shortest from E + 77)
connect the 4 odd nodes up into 2 nice pairs of even ones, shortest being 42 and 9... thus 300 + 51 = 351 weight :smile:
other stuff, very nice question hehe

23 comparisons... 17 swaps... fairly 100% sure its right hehe, like a good shuttle sort :smile:
shuttle is better as its quicker (..due to less comparisons needed)

loved the first few parts :smile: i feel they were nice and easy for a last question
for 1 iteration i got something like P = 20, X = 5, rest = 0? it was along those lines, when discussing with peers it was right at the time anyway haha!

the graph part was interesting :smile: the 2nd hardest part after the 1st part of question 1 hehe! remembering y=2x as the last constraint, (x=4/3,y=8/3) where 4-x = 2x... as it isn't batch-able (like that new word hehe), find the most suitable (x,y) value along the top of the feasible region (y=4-x graph), giving (0,4) or (1,3)... work them out, giving £16 and £17 value of P respectively. Thus she should make a batch of plain cookies and 3 of the choc chips :smile:

...hope this helped anyone, tried my best with the questions posed here hehe

NB; these aren't right for sure, just the answers I got myself, and am fairly certain most of it is correct :biggrin:!
Reply 87
vodka.shots..
Hmm.. it was interesting I guess, but not too bad I don't think!

a) managed to get 297.. with a minute to go.. mind my uselessness hehe - struggled adding 1 to C twice :biggrin:
b) got 0 with no problem
c) don't remember what i got!

a) a bit of a giveaway :biggrin: nice and easy hehe
b) semi-eulerian (1,2,2,3,4... 2 odds i think.. :P)
c) would form a cycle so it isnt a tree :smile: drew a pic for the examiner too!

long and bloody beautiful :smile: a very nice 1/3 of the paper free marks there!
100 for spanning tree
77 lower bound
126 upper bound (2 shortest from E + 77)
connect the 4 odd nodes up into 2 nice pairs of even ones, shortest being 42 and 9... thus 300 + 51 = 351 weight :smile:
other stuff, very nice question hehe

23 comparisons... 17 swaps... fairly 100% sure its right hehe, like a good shuttle sort :smile:

loved the first few parts :smile: i feel they were nice and easy for a last question
for 1 iteration i got something like P = 20, X = 5, rest = 0? it was along those lines, when discussing with peers it was right at the time anyway haha!

the graph part was interesting :smile: the 2nd hardest part after the 1st part of question 1 hehe! remembering y=2x as the last constraint, (x=4/3,y=8/3) where 4-x = 2x... as it isn't batch-able (like that new word hehe), find the most suitable (x,y) value along the top of the feasible region (y=4-x graph), giving (0,4) or (1,3)... work them out, giving £16 and £17 value of P respectively. Thus she should make a batch of plain cookies and 3 of the choc chips :smile:

NB; these aren't right for sure, just the answers I got myself, and am fairly certain most of it is correct :biggrin:!

lower bound is 77 (MST without E) + 2 arcs of least weight from E (Can't remember what it was) so you forgot to add the 2 arcs of least weight from E? Upperbound was nearest neighbour.. which visited F twice when from A so failed.. and when from B worked. i got similiar for other answers apart from where i've made silly mistakes
Salinger
lower bound is 77 (MST without E) + 2 arcs of least weight from E (Can't remember what it was) so you forgot to add the 2 arcs of least weight from E? i got similiar for other answers apart from where i've made silly mistakes

Yeah, the 77 is without adding in the two shortest arcs from E.

I remember doing 77+23+26.
Salinger
lower bound is 77 (MST without E) + 2 arcs of least weight from E (Can't remember what it was) so you forgot to add the 2 arcs of least weight from E? i got similiar for other answers apart from where i've made silly mistakes

oh thats my mistake, 77 was the span without E, and my answer was supposed to be 126 for that :biggrin: thankyou thankyou for that hehe, not sure what i was talking about with my upper bound then. should have wrote it down when i finished the exam. well, tried my best anyhoo :smile:
Reply 90
No problem mate.

Hopefully (if examiners mark it right) i'll get around 58 marks which hopefully should be around 80 UMS. (drop 3 on q1, 2 on q2, 0 on q3, 0 on q4, 9 :shifty: on q5. = 58/72. After seeing Mr Ms mark schemes for C1/C2/C3 i think ill get around 275/300 UMS for them.. so 355/400 which means i need 125/200 on C4/S1 for A overall so pressure taken off a bit :p:

Only 4 exams left now, 3 unimportant (A2 general studies 4,5,6), 1 important (Unit 4 physics) :eek:
Salinger
No problem mate.

Hopefully (if examiners mark it right) i'll get around 58 marks which hopefully should be around 80 UMS. (drop 3 on q1, 2 on q2, 0 on q3, 0 on q4, 9 :shifty: on q5. = 58/72. After seeing Mr Ms mark schemes for C1/C2/C3 i think ill get around 275/300 UMS for them.. so 355/400 which means i need 125/200 on C4/S1 for A overall so pressure taken off a bit :p:

Only 4 exams left now, 3 unimportant (A2 general studies 4,5,6), 1 important (Unit 4 physics) :eek:

Don't say that, I want the A pass mark to be 55-56! :p:
well i've seen the pass mark for D1 range anywhere between 51 and 62 hehe, so lets hope :smile: im on 291/300 for AS and am waiting for D1 and C3 results now :smile: C3 was less fun though.. D2 is so much easier than D1 though, they should be swapped :smile:!

was aiming for 100% in the discrete papers, doubt itll happen in D1 though, fingers crossed!

ive got my ENB5 for english tomoro which is fun :smile: and D2 on wednesday then thats me until summer! :P
Reply 93
I'm still confused about the last part of Q5, the graph, I am curious to see where (1,3) came from, I did think it should be that, but with little time left I couldn't work out where you could get it from, unless I drew the graph wrong of course?

I think this is what my graph sort of looked like.

x + y = 4 (0, 4) to (4, 0) with upper shaded
4x + 6y = 24 (0, 4) to (6, 0) with upper shaded
2x = y (0,0) through (1, 2), (2, 4), (3,6) etc..
and then below x-axis shaded and y-axis to the left shaded..
optimum pts, (0,0), (0,4) and (4/3, 8/3) - leaving max of them (0,4) = £16 profit?
nickh92
I'm still confused about the last part of Q5, the graph, I am curious to see where (1,3) came from, I did think it should be that, but with little time left I couldn't work out where you could get it from, unless I drew the graph wrong of course?

optimum pts, (0,0), (0,4) and (4/3, 8/3) - leaving max of them (0,4) = £16 profit?

I think it's to do with a sliding objective function line.

I can't expand because I can't really explain. :p:

Probably, maybe...I'm taking shots in the dark.
Reply 95
vodka.shots..

THANKs! Finally somebody else who got used y=2x and got x=4/3 etc! :biggrin:
Hmmmm, I was just wondering... Are we allowed to use pencil in the exam for answers? 'Cos I did, a few times...
Reply 97
MathsHamster
Does anybody have any idea at all?

x<=4
y<=4
z<=4
nickh92

what you are missing is what was so easily misunderstood in the question. it said you were to use suitable values of x to find the max for P, when you have drawn the graph... leaving 0,4 or 1,3... trying both, it shows that 1,3 is optimum, giving £17 profit. if that helps
Reply 99
vodka.shots..
what you are missing is what was so easily misunderstood in the question. it said you were to use suitable values of x to find the max for P, when you have drawn the graph... leaving 0,4 or 1,3... trying both, it shows that 1,3 is optimum, giving £17 profit. if that helps

Ah, I hope so, because that's exactly what I got...but I thought I'd gotten it wrong because when I came out of the exam everyone was agreeing it was something else.

Latest