The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
My parents married at 21 and 23 and they are still happily married 27 years later :love:

However, my friend's parents married when her mum was 18 and not too long ago her dad hung himself.

To be honest, I think it often depends on the couple, sometimes you just know its right.
Reply 81
Could be any one of those 4 really.
Reply 82
QI Elf
My parents married at 21 and 23 and they are still happily married 27 years later :love:

However, my friend's parents married when her mum was 18 and not too long ago her dad hung himself.

To be honest, I think it often depends on the couple, sometimes you just know its right.

Maybe the guy who hung himself "knew" it was "right" too?
I think most of them are naive. They're either blinded by the fact that someone loves them, so rush into marriage the first chance they get, or they're showing off to their mates. I don't know anyone who married under 20 and is still together now. Although, I do know a lot of couples who've been together since they were very young, and are still together, but waited to get married. Some people are lucky enough to meet that person so young, but it's a very small number.

To be honest, I think they're crazy if they marry under 20. Why give the next 60 years of your life to one person, when you've only spent maybe seven years finding them? And people change so much between even 18 and 20, that the person you marry might not be the same in a year, nevermind in decades.
What happened to the title of this thread, and, more to the point, why?
Reply 85
Ice_Queen

I was also wondering that.... :s-smilie:
I learnt today that someone I know (who is 17) got engaged to another 17 year old yesterday. I was like wtf? that's never going to last. That would mean upwards of 60 years together :eek:

I don't think they quite understand what marriage is all about.
Reply 87
Ice_Queen

I think the mods are playing a cruel joke on me :frown:
Reply 88
I think at that age people are too immature to realise what they really want for the most part.
Reply 89
I don't think I'll ever get married to be honest, but yeah I selected naive. I don't think some people under 20 years old quite understand the commitment they are making, and so it often ends up in the marriage breaking up.
punktopia
Maybe the guy who hung himself "knew" it was "right" too?

*WARNING WARNING GRAMMAR NAZI WARNING WARNING*

It's hanged...hanged, not hung...hanged... :mad:

Probably naive. That's not to say these marriages won't last or the love isn't real, just if someone is going to be in the same relationship for the rest of their life then it won't do any harm waiting until they're a bit older to get married. I've changed a lot since I was 18 and no doubt I'll change a lot more over the next few years after I graduate. Luckily so far I've grown closer to my boyfriend but it could easily have gone the other way.

I don't, however, think marrying young necessarily means you will miss out on things. Travelling, meeting new people, exciting sex etc.. can all be achieved within a marriage. Indeed, for me being in a stable relationship gives me the courage to be more adventurous in my life.
Reply 92
Ice_Queen

It's hanged...hanged, not hung...hanged... :mad:

Yeah, we all know. No one cares.
Under 20 then naive.

My mum was married and had me by 23. Until six months ago I would have said it worked, but recently my dad left home, although they are still married and have been nearly 20 years.
QI Elf

You make it sound as though the two things are connected. :s-smilie:
Reply 95
It all depends really. The other day there was an article in some newspaper about some scientific study on love. Apparently some people never fall out of love and the same parts of the brain light up in them as in completely monogamous birds like swans. So if young people have that sort of love then it isn't naive, or stupid just lucky.
Reply 96
stupid
I voted stupid, but only because I oppose the entire institution of marriage.
I think they're lucky. Getting married young doesnt mean that you have to 'settle down'. Sure your making a pledge to be with the same person forever, but if you love that person, why wouldn't you want to make that commitment?

Also, marriage doesnt not necessarily mean children etc, if you take you time; i really think marrying young can work.
Reply 99
You perverts! Leave the poor ol cows.

Latest

Trending

Trending