Scroll to see replies

zionism =/= racism
anti-semitism = racism

They are different things.
:smile:
Reply 2
No, it's more of a motion/belief.
Reply 3
but anti zionist=/=racist or anti-semitism.
Reply 4
What exactly is racism anyway?

Surely Zionist ideology is no different to any nationalist ideology. Just as antisemitism is a special term for "racism" directed against Jews, Zionism is the ideology that Jews are entitled to a homeland.

To all those that will inevitably decry Zionist thought as racism, would you similarly rebuke other movements for national homelands as racist? Think Kurds, Sri Lankan Tamils, Kosovan Albanians, Western Saharans...
Zionism is a belief in a Jewish homeland, not a Jewish homeland that excludes all others. If it was the latter it would be a racist ideology, but it's not.
Reply 6
RightSaidJames
Zionism is a belief in a Jewish homeland, not a Jewish homeland that excludes all others. If it was the latter it would be a racist ideology, but it's not.

While I largely agree with what you say, would you similarly label Japan and Korea racist states for wanting to remain ethnically and culturally homogeneous?
^^ What he (the guy before last) said.
Reply 8
lots of sensible people here

zionism is not racist. It is no different from any other cultural or ethnic group wanting the right to self determination.

*ducks the OPs angry riposte*
Reply 9
It's a movement, ignoramous.
The political movement itself is not really racist, but I honestly question if there was any real need for Zionism.
Yes.
Reply 12
arisk01
zionism =/= racism
anti-semitism = racism

They are different things.
:smile:

Is discrimination against a person who practices the jewish faith anti-semitism?

That would make anti-semitism =/= racism.
Reply 13
shamrock92
Yes.

Care to elaborate?
reems23
Is discrimination against a person who practices the jewish faith anti-semitism?

Jewish is also an ethnicity...
I was making a distinction between the faith (zionism) and the ethnicity
Reply 15
reems23

Jewish ethnicity and religion is inextricably linked. While it is perhaps more accurate to describe racism's antisemitism subset as hatred against people of Jewish ethnicity (and any religion or lack thereof), the vast majority of religious Jews are ethnically Jewish so common usage is not so strict. Interestingly, many languages make a distinction in terming ethnic Jews and religious Jews. Perhaps we should just call ethnic Jews Hebrews. Would sure clear up a lot of confusion...
Reply 16
arisk01
Jewish is also an ethnicity...
I was making a distinction between the faith (zionism) and the ethnicity

Wait, I thought zionism was the support of Israel and it's actions. Is that synonymous with being of Jewish faith?

Or can a person who follows the jewish religion [god this is difficult] not support the actions of Israel?
reems23
Wait, I thought zionism was the support of Israel and it's actions. Is that synonymous with being of Jewish faith?

Or can a person who follows the jewish religion [god this is difficult] not support the actions of Israel?

Not all Jews (be they ethnic or religious or both) are in favour of zionism. Not all zionists (you might find it funny to believe) are Jews either.
Reply 18
arisk01
Not all Jews (be they ethnic or religious or both) are in favour of zionism. Not all zionists (you might find it funny to believe) are Jews either.

Your making assumptions about me which are untrue.

You said "faith (zionism)" so I thought you meant they were synonymous.
Reply 19
arisk01

In fact the vast majority of Zionists are neither ethnically nor religiously Jewish. Just look at America's 80 million odd Zionist Evangelical Christians.

Latest

Trending

Trending