The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah it used to be like TVU - as long as you find the entrance you're in.
Reply 2
Prince Charles got in with DD.
Reply 3
They just handed out invites- honest!
It depended on daddy's paycheck.
Reply 5
moody28028
Prince Charles got in with DD.

Wat?
Reply 6
You just had to be able to hit a six, sing the school song very loudly and take a hot crumpet from behind without blubbing.
Reply 7
no. surely, competition for oxbridge entrance wasn't as severe. in the very very early days, i suppose not as many people knew about oxbridge either.
Reply 8
"The early days" of Oxbridge certainly weren't the days of Blair and Prince Charles...
Reply 9
Of course it was still hard- but the grades you needed to get in used to be much much lower. My dad had a friend who got an offer of EE (back in the 80s)
Reply 10
My parents both went to Oxford; my mother apparently had to sit two three hour entrance exams in the November of year 13 and then had three interviews at her first choice college and two interviews at another college before getting an EE offer to read maths. I think my father had a similar experience, except that he did physics.
Reply 11
Bless, "early days". You do realise they (Oxford and Cambridge) are the best part of 1,000 years old and Blair went to Oxford only 30 years ago?
Reply 12
soffeee
Of course it was still hard- but the grades you needed to get in used to be much much lower. My dad had a friend who got an offer of EE (back in the 80s)

Christ's, Cambridge still makes about a third of its offers EE (so-called 'matriculation offers').
Reply 13
soffeee

exacly so it wasn't hard
Reply 14
soffeee

That was quite likely one of the 'low' offers though. I think they're less common now, but I know some colleges still do give out EE offers to exceptionally strong candidates.

EDIT: BJack beat me to it.
Reply 15
River85
Bless, "early days". You do realise they (Oxford and Cambridge) are the best part of 1,000 years old and Blair went to Oxford only 30 years ago?

jeeze yes i know, just a way of saying it....
Reply 16
Checkmate121
exacly so it wasn't hard

People are still getting those offers these days
Reply 17
Checkmate121
exacly so it wasn't hard

Just because the offer was low doesn't mean that they didn't go through a rigorous testing process with gruelling interviews and that Oxford did not select only the best of the best to offer places too.

Apparently despite the low offers nearly everybody got AAA anyway
Reply 18
soffeee

Thats because they used to have their own entrance exams and interviews and based all of their offers off those, thus gave lots of EE offers because they didn't base admissions off A-level results.
Reply 19
A Level grades from 30 years ago aren't exactly equivalent to those of today. Much fewer people got A grades.

And, in answer to the original question, god knows. I don't think there is anyone on this forum with a living personal knowledge of admissions at Oxbridge in the 'early' days, so the majority will have no idea.

That said, King's College, Cambridge was set up by Henry VI in the fifteenth century in order to provide university education for all of the students at Eton. So in that case, they were almost guaranteed entry.

Latest

Trending

Trending