The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
cokeclock
After Bush things can only go up. Yeah he's only one man but at least he has a brain which is more than you can say for his predecessor... I'm going out tonight to celebrate at the O2. NDubz, Lemar Natty and some other people I forget. Looking forward to it, should be pretty solid! More fun that watching it on the TV anyway :tongue:

I don't get this... Why do people CELEBRATE the election of another nation's president?! Its not a massive event, he's just a regular human being who is coming in to office. He's not the messiah, he's got no real ability to DO anything at the moment and he's always going to be a failure compared to the last great Democrat (FDR). Big deal.
Reply 81
Even with an exam tommorow i will watch the whole thing this is a day that will go down in history.
Reply 82
a pirate life for me
-We were saved from the possibility of Sarah Palin as a future pres (if McCain couldn't live 4 years.. He is like 100,00 years old)

This was the main reason I wanted Obama to win :p:
Sky will be showing it in HD if anyone has SkyHD on SkyArtsHD :wink:
Reply 84
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_obama

It's going to be interesting seeing how quickly the losers can update it when the time comes.
Reply 85
I want to buy an obama tshirt but i think everyone in my school would mock me
Reply 86
I found this funny/demoralising:

Reply 87
I'll definitely be watching this historic moment live on tv today.

Barack Obama = a legend!
Reply 88
this is whats gonna happen

Reply 89
I think it's good that Obama is becoming president, but the real reason why i'm happy is that Bush is going home
damn obama is overated

lol at some whites now claiming they are 1/8 black or somethin
Reply 91
ssk2
I don't get this... Why do people CELEBRATE the election of another nation's president?! Its not a massive event, he's just a regular human being who is coming in to office. He's not the messiah, he's got no real ability to DO anything at the moment and he's always going to be a failure compared to the last great Democrat (FDR). Big deal.

What do you mean he's got no ability to do anything? That's ridiculous. Of course he does. Look at what the last president had the ability to do. Start a massive great war.

And it's not just any nation's president, it's America's. America who influences the rest of the world hugely and who is embroiled in conflict outside its own shores among other things. No he's not the messiah, but that doesn't mean he can't do positive things for the country. And then through that other countries, perhaps including ours. What's so strange about celebrating that?
Inflation
Sky will be showing it in HD if anyone has SkyHD on SkyArtsHD :wink:

Your election pokemon thing is so cool:biggrin:
J4GGYBoss
barracks inauguration, for the first time ever a BLACK president from an ETHNIC minority will be president of the most powerful country in the world, a shift of power is at hand!. And we were alive to experience it! Post your views can barrack get the world out of recession?, is this one of the biggest landmarks in history or all time!?

LOL everyone in the world is 'ethnic' so I guess the emphasis should be on minority :yep:
Reply 94
L i b
You see, I don't really see the difference between watching it live and (inevitably) seeing it on the news for the next few days, or in a slightly more extreme sense, reading about it in a history book.

I mean, it's only a bit of television, and I doubt it'll even be an interesting event: I imagine I could more or less predict the content of his speech already.

To actually be there in person though, I admit that would be something quite different.

I guess its the thought that billions of people will be watching at the same time. would love to be in DC though.
Plus what else is an unemployed gapper supposed to do all day but watch TV.
Reply 95
Ooh, who's looking forward to this afternoon then?
I'll watch it if it's streamed on the internet somewhere. I don't have a TV at present.
Nooooo I'm going to be at work :frown:
to be there would be pretty cool, the USA think his stands for so much more, that he stands for hope
Reply 99
It'll be streamed on BBC News website