The Student Room Group

Do you need to go to the University Open Day?

hi, what is the point of the open day? do you have to go to it?
Reply 1
you don't have to go
It's very useful if you don't know the area that well or are moving far away, or just want to know if you like the 'feel' of the place, although they aren't compulsory.
Reply 3
so does that mean that the university will still accept me even if i don't go because i heard somewhere(can't remember where) that if you dont go, the university will not give you the place even if you meet the requirements and have a conditional offer.
You don't have to go. But it is useful to look around the area, learning facilities and accommodation to see if you could see yourself living/studying there for the next three or four years,.
zkm1223
so does that mean that the university will still accept me even if i don't go because i heard somewhere(can't remember where) that if you dont go, the university will not give you the place even if you meet the requirements and have a conditional offer.

Nope, open days are all optional. Even some post-applicant days (for people with offers) aren't compulsory. Just never skip an interview :smile:
Reply 6
zkm1223
hi, what is the point of the open day? do you have to go to it?

It's not compulsory, obviously. But I would recommend going to it, even if you don't intend on putting it as your firm/insurance. For me, visiting Nottingham on the open day really changed my opinions of the whole place...
Reply 7
zkm1223
hi, what is the point of the open day?

The point is that you are supposed to get an idea of how much you'd like to be there. My first open day was Brunel and I remember being bowled over by it, but realised there were much better ones for me personally, once I visited others :p:
Reply 8
If you have the time/money definitely go...

You can meet the lecturers, current students find out more about the course/uni than you can from a prospectus and ask questions face to face.

You might find your choice is easier too once you've been. For a lot of people I know, me included, they visited a uni and instantly knew it was the right one for them.
zkm1223

If you already have an offer, they cannot change their mind. However, plenty of university departments will only give offers to those that accept open day invitations, whether they interview at them or not.
you don't have to go if you don't want to but I would suggest you go because it gives you a feel of what the university itself is like.
well in my case for UCL i have to go to it otherwise they will terminate my application loool :biggrin: i wana go anyway to make sure my decisions are the right ones :smile:
if you have already been given an offer such as conditional, is there anyway that by not going to an open day or applicant day that it could effect your offer?
Original post by Grapevine
It's not compulsory, obviously. But I would recommend going to it, even if you don't intend on putting it as your firm/insurance. For me, visiting Nottingham on the open day really changed my opinions of the whole place...

Sorry i know this is a really late response i was just wondering what you meant about nottingham and your opinion being changed? Was it for better or for worse? Thanks
Well you don't have to go but it's good idea it allows you to take a look around and chat to the students lecturers see the accommodation (might be quite a small room but it does the job) and generally get a feel for the place before applying it allows you in essence to see if you want to apply to the uni it's pretty useful.
Hey, Amanda from BCU here! You don't have to come to our Open Days but we think they are really helpful to help you decide whether the university is the right one for you or not. To help you, we've put together a list of things to do at an Open Day to help you get the most out of your day: www.bcu.ac.uk/get-most-from-open-day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending