The Student Room Group

IBM Hursley

Hi,

I've been given an IBM interview assessment at Hurlsey, and they've told me to come at 9.45AM on a Cambridge term day. As far as I know, this is relatively impossible, given that I did a day trip to Hursley once and it was something in the range of 6 hour round trip by coach. Notwithstanding the fact that I have 3 lectures every day that I'd miss.

I'm not even sure how to start considering getting there, or how accommodating they are to rearranging interview times, especially to around end of term. Anyone have any experiences of this before?

Cheers
i dont got to cambridge, but i was invited to an IBM assessment at hursley too, generally they reimburse your travels and accomodation as long as you show the travel was solely for the assessment.
Reply 2
the_satsuma_man
i dont got to cambridge, but i was invited to an IBM assessment at hursley too, generally they reimburse your travels and accomodation as long as you show the travel was solely for the assessment.

Hmm, do you know if they have onsite accommodation?
Reply 3
Yeah, just book a hotel and stay overnight if you don't know anyone nearby. They should refund you. I have interviews in London that start at 8am :eek: and I'm staying at a friend's the night before. I wouldn't ask them to re-arrange the slot if this is particularly important to you.
Reply 4
When I went for my assessment day (I have the job by the way) I went to my friends in Soton the night before.

Some others got up and got the first train from London. (very early start, 4am sort of times)

One flew from Ireland and stayed in Winchester the night before.

And you're coming from Cambridge.... if you really want the job, you'll make it :wink:

Good luck.

p.s. they pay your accomondation upto £60 I think, petrol if you drive at 10p a mile um not sure about anything else. Takes a while to get the money mind you.

-----------EDIT---------

Oh yes and you won't find they will rearrange times for you. Theres others that go, its not just you. The day is planned out before you arrive. You are sorted in groups for the group exercise already, your interview times are given to you when you arrive. When I went there were 12 of us. My friends at my uni who also went another time had 12 on their day too.
Reply 5
why is this in the cambridge forum!?

SunderX, at every AC i've been to, there have been people from all over the world. i'd say travelling from cambridge is really rather doable.
Reply 6
Orthala
When I went for my assessment day (I have the job by the way) I went to my friends in Soton the night before.

Some others got up and got the first train from London. (very early start, 4am sort of times)

One flew from Ireland and stayed in Winchester the night before.

And you're coming from Cambridge.... if you really want the job, you'll make it :wink:

Good luck.

p.s. they pay your accomondation upto £60 I think, petrol if you drive at 10p a mile um not sure about anything else. Takes a while to get the money mind you.

-----------EDIT---------

Oh yes and you won't find they will rearrange times for you. Theres others that go, its not just you. The day is planned out before you arrive. You are sorted in groups for the group exercise already, your interview times are given to you when you arrive. When I went there were 12 of us. My friends at my uni who also went another time had 12 on their day too.

Fair enough, it looks like I'm going to be travelling the night before. It's not that I mind so much the travelling/catchup work, but I wanted to check if I could have my cake and eat it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending