The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ttx
In the 222 years of the constitution it's had 27 amendments, averaging one every 8 years, since it's been about 16 years since the last one I think we're due for one :wink:

That's a bit misleading, seeing that the first 10 Amendments were passed in a big bunch (the Bill of Rights) within a couple of years of the Constitution... Since 1790, there have only been 17 amendments (2 of which cancel out). So that's 15 effective amendments in 220 years.
JonathanH
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. You think Reagan was the US President in WW2?!

Priceless indeed :rofl:
Reply 42
Bismarck
A constitutional amendment creating term limits for the presidency was created as a result of that. Before Roosevelt (not Reagan), there was an honor system in check, where presidents willingly did not run for office for the third term (a few tried, but lost).

DougieG
I sure as hell hope it wasn't Reagan!

It was F.D. Roosevelt, and yes he served four terms. But that was before the constitutional amendment to prevent a President from doing so ever again, even if in the middle of a serious war.

andyroo_g
Reagan was not the president during the second world war :s-smilie:

DanGrover
Jesus ******* christ. There's so much ******** in this post, it's unbelievable.

JonathanH
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. You think Reagan was the US President in WW2?!

to all, im sorry i got the presidents name wrong. i have never studied american history (the closest i got was the Britsh slave trade, the rest of my historical knowledge is mainly scottish) and i knew the presidents name started with an R so i put reagan as it was the first that came to mind because i was in a rush.

i now know my error
Reply 43
Bismarck
You can repent by saying Hail Bush 3 times. :p:

nooooo! dont make me do it!
FTC199
to all, im sorry i got the presidents name wrong. i have never studied american history (the closest i got was the Britsh slave trade, the rest of my historical knowledge is mainly scottish) and i knew the presidents name started with an R so i put reagan as it was the first that came to mind because i was in a rush.

i now know my error

Google is your friend. And whilst wikipedia is unreliable in some areas, it's usually alright for basic facts, such as who was US President and when.
Reply 45
JonathanH
Google is your friend. And whilst wikipedia is unreliable in some areas, it's usually alright for basic facts, such as who was US President and when.

google is amazing! but i was literally running out so didnt have time to check (now realised that was a mistake)

Latest

Trending

Trending