The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This thread is comprised of so many stereotypes! I mean, no one says, "have you noticed how French people wear stripy tops and cycle about with onions on a bike"!
yay sterotype
As Michael McIntyre said: "We must penetrate the West at its most vulnerable spot, Glasgow Airport!"
Reply 43
fisherman
Can you give examples of the very negative things, I'm curious.

Violence, sectarianism, hostility to change, an embedded social expectation on the State, poor customer service, an apparent sense of general superiority (the 'Scottish swagger' to use Niall Ferguson's terminology), general cynicism...
Reply 44
elle17
This thread is comprised of so many stereotypes! I mean, no one says, "have you noticed how French people wear stripy tops and cycle about with onions on a bike"!

Yet to suggest that there's no common culture or traits in the Scottish character completely negates the idea of 'Scotland' existing at all.
Reply 45
I keep noticing that in some films, soaps, cartoons etc. the only scottish person in them is the evil nasty villain! Anyone else noticed this. I kept noticing this all the time but Ive forgotten all the examples!

Only thing I can think of is the Simpsons where the scottish janitor (is his name willy?) is a bit weird and has tried to kill bart before but theres been other stuff on tv where I've really wanted to send abuse (maybe not the right word in this context!) to the producers for fuelling horrible stereotypes of scots!

There are lots of examples in films but they are not to hand, anyone else got any?
Reply 46
naivesincerity
Anyone noticed this?

BECAUSE YOURE ALL ******* **** WHO **** EVERYBODY ***** ****** AND **** YOUR **** IGNORANCE **** **** WITH ******** **** ****** ****** ***** ********* ***** the WHOLE can of tuna!
Inferiority complex? >.<

Ooooh, I'm gonna get negged for that! :frown:
Reply 48
Why are so many ******s such colossal ****s?
abgrad
I keep noticing that in some films, soaps, cartoons etc. the only scottish person in them is the evil nasty villain! Anyone else noticed this. I kept noticing this all the time but Ive forgotten all the examples!

Only thing I can think of is the Simpsons where the scottish janitor (is his name willy?) is a bit weird and has tried to kill bart before but theres been other stuff on tv where I've really wanted to send abuse (maybe not the right word in this context!) to the producers for fuelling horrible stereotypes of scots!

There are lots of examples in films but they are not to hand, anyone else got any?

The Scottish one in Ugly Betty, oh no, wait...
L i b
Violence, sectarianism, hostility to change, an embedded social expectation on the State, poor customer service, an apparent sense of general superiority (the 'Scottish swagger' to use Niall Ferguson's terminology), general cynicism...

I'm going to agree with you here, but would like to raise a few points.

Sectarianism: basically, I think we have readily faced up to it and are/have been slowly eradicating it. We no longer have companies with their "No Catholics Need Apply" sign in the window nor do we have The Billy Boys or Roamin in the Gloamin sung at football matches. Change is slow, but its happening because we recognised there was a problem.

Social Expectation on the state: We're still a very collective country, the problem now is that there is a non-working class alongside the working class. This will only get worse, I dare say, during this recession.

Hostility to change: Devolution, rise of the SNP, Commonwealth games (the regeneration)- I'd say we like change, in some ways at least.
Reply 51
L i b
Yet to suggest that there's no common culture or traits in the Scottish character completely negates the idea of 'Scotland' existing at all.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would say that scotland prides them self being on being a friendly nation with many traditions.
L i b

Violence, yeah maybe, although I'm not sure if it's any different to other countries.
Sectarianism - yeah, definitely was a big problem, it's still there, but less than it was, in my opinion.
Hostility to change - I haven't noticed this one
Expectation on the state - hadn't seen this one at all really
Poor customer service - I'd say that customer service is one things scots excel at.
Sense of superiority - yep, definitely
Cynicism - maybe

Although, most of that just seems like stereotypes of the rough areas of glasgow. Interesting to see your view though.
fisherman
Violence, yeah maybe, although I'm not sure if it's any different to other countries.
Sectarianism - yeah, definitely was a big problem, it's still there, but less than it was, in my opinion.
Hostility to change - I haven't noticed this one
Expectation on the state - hadn't seen this one at all really 1 in 5 on DLA in Glasgow
Poor customer service - I'd say that customer service is one things scots excel at.
Sense of superiority - yep, definitely
Cynicism - maybe

Although, most of that just seems like stereotypes of the rough areas of glasgow. Interesting to see your view though.

Their is a great expectancy on the state, especially with regards to the unemployed.
abgrad

Example that i can think of is groundskeeper wullie in the simpsons.
Celtic_Anthony

Sectarianism: basically, I think we have readily faced up to it and are/have been slowly eradicating it. We no longer have companies with their "No Catholics Need Apply" sign in the window nor do we have The Billy Boys or Roamin in the Gloamin sung at football matches. Change is slow, but its happening because we recognised there was a problem.

I would say that in my lifetime (18) I have only ever experienced sectarianism in relation to football. Outside of football, I have hardly ever noticed any divide. I feel we have moved on massively since the 60's/70's.
Rizzletastic
I would say that in my lifetime (18) I have only ever experienced sectarianism in relation to football. Outside of football, I have hardly ever noticed any divide. I feel we have moved on massively since the 60's/70's.

Same, only in relation to football, but I was asking for it, wearing my Celtic top to PE in a non-denom...:biggrin:

I agree, where I live, there is no divide. Where I work, there is no divide. Where I study, there is no divide.
Celtic_Anthony
Same, only in relation to football, but I was asking for it, wearing my Celtic top to PE in a non-denom...:biggrin:

I agree, where I live, there is no divide. Where I work, there is no divide. Where I study, there is no divide.

In my school, we were barred from wearing football tops for PE, because otherwise people would end up fighting.
Reply 58
naivesincerity
Anyone noticed this?

You mean like that fat coward who pummeled that poor english girl?
fisherman
In my school, we were barred from wearing football tops for PE, because otherwise people would end up fighting.

Really? Not much chance of that in my school. All that happened was a few rough tackles or a "Fenian" (I thanked them:smile:) remark. None of it malicious, just ignorant. Was mostly Rangers at my school, but there were quite a few Celtic fans.

Latest

Trending

Trending