The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Raising kids is just about the most important thing that a woman can do in her life, it is a very important role.
Reply 21
Walnut Whipp
Not just choosing family over a career but wants nothing more than to get married and have kids etc and that would be their greatest achievment in life?

Even as a guy - When I have this, whether I'm working or not - My life will be complete.
I would choose family over career...but since I'm not the one choosing I'll be having a career and a cat in my future
I want both-a successful career aswell as a happy marriage and family.
I think it's possible :smile:
Feminists would eat you alive...
Reply 25
If my husband happened to be a millionaire/billionaire who could afford for me to stay at home/go shopping then I'd happily be a housewife :smile:
Reply 26
Pinball_heart
Feminists would eat you alive...

Don't get me started on feminists grrrrrr.
I can't think of anything more soul-destroying than being stuck in the house day in, and day out, washing everybody's clothes, cleaning up everybody's mess, cooking everybody's meals and doing everybody's shopping. To me that's tantamount to being a servant.

Have you ever been stuck in the house for days on end due to illness/ boredom? It's torture - that's what it must feel like being in prison. I've seen the life my sister has being a new mum and housewife, and of course I love her to bits, but I think women get a bum deal as it is with pregnancy/ birthing/ hormones/ sexism/ objectification/ pressure to be thin/ periods.. Never mind being the family skivvy.

I know loads of you will disagree but there's no way i'm going to let my life slip down that route. Not for anybody.
Reply 28
little_red_sox
I can't think of anything more soul-destroying than being stuck in the house day in, and day out, washing everybody's clothes, cleaning up everybody's mess, cooking everybody's meals and doing everybody's shopping. To me that's tantamount to being a servant.

Have you ever been stuck in the house for days on end due to illness/ boredom? It's torture - that's what it must feel like being in prison. I've seen the life my sister has being a new mum and housewife, and of course I love her to bits, but I think women get a bum deal as it is with pregnancy/ birthing/ hormones/ sexism/ objectification/ pressure to be thin/ periods.. Never mind being the family skivvy.

I know loads of you will disagree but there's no way i'm going to let my life slip down that route. Not for anybody.

Its different being stuck in the house through illness to being a 'housewife' surely, just because you don't have paid work doesn't mean you don't have to work, get out the house, have a social life.

But maybe my idea of a housewife is too formed from ideals. And a social situation long past
*Ally*
Its different being stuck in the house through illness to being a 'housewife' surely, just because you don't have paid work doesn't mean you don't have to work, get out the house, have a social life.

But maybe my idea of a housewife is too formed from ideals. And a social situation long past

From my perspective at least, all of my friends and siblings who've become parents have had their social lives well and truly slung out of the window. Get out of the house you say.. For what? Food shopping? Post Office? Please. Being a full-time servant to husband and kids doesn't leave time for a life of your own.. So my mum says..
Reply 30
reems23
I'll be perfectly honest, I would like my wife raising the kids. This is simply because I believe for children to be fully adjusted they have to have the full, and unconditional attention of the Mother. Not spoiling mind, just making sure they are molded into something successful.

And what about attention from you? Don't you think that's quite important that children have a positive male and female role model demonstrating the possibility to live a fulfilled life with a balance of family and career?

If I have kids, I'd hope to share their care with my partner, and possibly paid childcare. I'd absolutely hate to be a housewife, I think it destroys the balance of power within a relationship by making one partner so dependent upon the other.
Reply 31
I'd probably have to say my career would be more important..meh
Reply 32
I would love to do both. But I definitely want to be a housewife until the children start primary school.
Reply 33
little_red_sox
From my perspective at least, all of my friends and siblings who've become parents have had their social lives well and truly slung out of the window. Get out of the house you say.. For what? Food shopping? Post Office? Please. Being a full-time servant to husband and kids doesn't leave time for a life of your own.. So my mum says..

Lol no I meant like...going round to their friends for tea and um charity work and dinners and...well a social life. Yup I did say I imagine it from a past era.
Also...servant is only synonomous with housewife if you can't afford to pay other people to do the boring stuff anyway :smile:
Reply 34
I couldn't do it. Not to say that some people don't find it fulfilling, or worthwhile, or that it isn't a good idea to stay at home and look after your kids. Personally, though, I think I'd just get really frustrated being at home all the time. I'd like my husband to do what my parents did for me - they both worked part-time so I had a parent at home all the time but neither of them had to be there constantly.
Reply 35
I could never be a housewife I really couldnt imagine anything more boring.
I don't even want children to be honest, im much more career driven than i am family orientated
*Ally*
Lol no I meant like...going round to their friends for tea and um charity work and dinners and...well a social life. Yup I did say I imagine it from a past era.
Also...servant is only synonomous with housewife if you can't afford to pay other people to do the boring stuff anyway :smile:

I hate to be pedantic, please don't take this the wrong way, but your suggesting that you can only avoid being a servant when taking the role of "housewife" by paying other people to do the housework for you simply reinforces my point. Who the hell has a butler? Are you planning on having one? Also, if husband is out earning the money you depend on (a concept which makes my eyes bleed), who is feeding/changing/ looking after the babies? Whos is washing/ ironing/ cleaning/ cooking/ shopping for the family whilst you are out doing charity work and going to your dinners?

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I said. I just think you have your rose-tinted blinkers on. I'm still trying to catch my breath at the fact that some women actually aspire to this.

Whoever said that being committed to a situation totally reliant on a man's income shifts the power-balance within the relationship is absolutely right. I could never be satisfied in the knowledge that I would be totally screwed (financially and otherwise), should he decide to leave me literally holding the baby. Don't tell me this never happens- in fact, I'd be brash enough to say I think it's commonplace.
Reply 37
Without wishing to start a major war of words, can we start a Feminist Society on TSR please? There doesn't seem to be one, and I think it'd be a good place for those of us who are interested to discuss our beliefs. Anyone interested? :smile:
Reply 38
No. We can't
Reply 39
little_red_sox
I hate to be pedantic, please don't take this the wrong way, but your suggesting that you can only avoid being a servant when taking the role of "housewife" by paying other people to do the housework for you simply reinforces my point. Who the hell has a butler? Are you planning on having one? Also, if husband is out earning the money you depend on (a concept which makes my eyes bleed), who is feeding/changing/ looking after the babies? Whos is washing/ ironing/ cleaning/ cooking/ shopping for the family whilst you are out doing charity work and going to your dinners?

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I said. I just think you have your rose-tinted blinkers on. I'm still trying to catch my breath at the fact that some women actually aspire to this.

Whoever said that being committed to a situation totally reliant on a man's income shifts the power-balance within the relationship is absolutely right. I could never be satisfied in the knowledge that I would be totally screwed (financially and otherwise), should he decide to leave me literally holding the baby. Don't tell me this never happens- in fact, I'd be brash enough to say I think it's commonplace.

Some of those are fair points. And lots of people have..cleaners, nannys etc. maybe not people I know, but people.

Just to clear it up...I in no way want the kind of life you seem to think I do, and I never said I did (christ i'm not doing a law degree for laughs) I just thought you and other people were being harsh on people who do. Its a valid lifestyle choice as much as any other.

(If any of that came out sounding bitchy, as things do on the internet, not meant to)

Latest

Trending

Trending