The Student Room Group

Subject choice at college affect Oxbridge?

I am probably going to take English Literature, History, Economics and Maths at A level.

Then I believe I would like to study English at Oxbridge - probably Oxford. I was wondering whether a reputed subject like Maths would increase my chances of an offer from either university instead of a subject less veneered like Business studies. Now neither have anything to do with my designated University course, so would it make any difference?
Reply 1
I don't think it makes a massive difference personally, as long as two of your main A Levels are so-called "hard A Levels" preferably with links to English, so History would be fine.
Reply 2
should be fine, Maths would deffo be better than business studies. :smile: stick with your choices they sound great :smile: It always looks good for an English student to be doing maths :smile:
Reply 3
You have a solid combination, because as well as essay based subjects you have maths (which is on the opposite side of the spectrum to English).

Just make sure you get AAAA, have a good reference and a very good personal statement and you should be in Oxford in no time :smile:
Reply 4
i am thinking of doing politics jayayy is it good
Reply 5
karlwavfc
i am thinking of doing politics jayayy is it good

It's not bad really, it is easy if you pay attention in class and know your stuff basically. I think it is better than English Lit (which I picked, but swapped for economics).
Reply 6

I think Maths would be easier overall than Business Studies anyway, to be honest :p:
Reply 7
Say if I chucked Philosophy into that mix as well. Seeing as I hope to study English at Uni would Philosophy be a better choice that Maths?
Reply 8
I'd say Maths would be wise as it shows you're well rounded and can solve problems. Perhaps swap Econ. for Philosophy, even though I've personally found Philosophy rather tedious and simplistic (finding that researching and studying the stuff independently for pleasure is much more gratifying than being patronised in lessons) whilst Economics, albeit simplistic thus far, is much more stimulating in a lesson environment. But for English, I'd still do Maths and would swap Econ. for Philosophy if that's your preference.
Reply 9
No, I think I will stick with the 4 I have already chosen. Surely 2 essay based subjects is enough, isn't it?

And what if I was to drop a subject such as maths or economics after the first year, would Oxbridge frown upon that or would it not matter as long as I achieve 3 A's?
Reply 10
i am unsure about whether to do german or politics, along with maths economics and history
Reply 11
JoshW7
No, I think I will stick with the 4 I have already chosen. Surely 2 essay based subjects is enough, isn't it?

And what if I was to drop a subject such as maths or economics after the first year, would Oxbridge frown upon that or would it not matter as long as I achieve 3 A's?

It's typical for a candidate to drop one subject. Only keep 4 subjects to A2 if you KNOW you are confident you would attain 4 As for Oxbridge.

karlwavfc
i am unsure about whether to do german or politics, along with maths economics and history

Politics provides a good link with economics and history.
German is loved by unis, but the workload may be alot. Only do it if you are good at it and dedicated.
pick the most serious academic subjects you can handle.

its simply what oxbridge "Advise"/require

Latest

Trending

Trending