The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In apartheid everyone who was not white was known as a "colored" person, so to me it's a racist term. I'm white and I have a black friend, and he hates the word coloured - a spade is a spade.
Technically, it would be incorrect as no one is purely 'white' or 'black'. Secondly, black is not a colour. But I don't think that's what you were aiming for. :p:
Reply 42
I don't really like it but that's because of the history of that word.
Reply 43
smellslikemarmite
In apartheid everyone who was not white was known as a "colored" person, so to me it's a racist term. I'm white and I have a black friend, and he hates the word coloured - a spade is a spade.

As was pointed out above, that's not true: in apartheid South Africa there were four recognised ethnic groups - Black, White, Indian, and Coloured - coloured people were largely mixed, meaning the South African legal terminology is completely different in use and definition from the normal British and American meaning.
Hahaha, a spade is a spade. I can't believe no ones laughed at this yet.

Any way, there's nothing wrong with calling a black person black, at least in the uk anyway.
I always find it hard to know how to describe "those of a different colour to myself but still my friends and equals" it's the same as calling children which parents of different skin colours "Half - casts" I have a cousin like that who I refer to as half cast and I have relative whome I refer to as coloured but I am in no way shape or form racist and would never dream of being one so i feel no shame in how I refer to people with different skin coloures because i would never intend it to be racist. when I was little it was racist to call people black which was where the term coloured came from, so people wouldn't say Black
Reply 46
steed999
ps if anyone is colored it will be white people because the black man/women came first

Are you implying non-black races evolved from blacks? That's raaaaaaaayciss!!!!!
Llamageddon
i just call them darkies or ethnikkz

does that mean blacks can call you whitey's or paley's?
Priscilla J
one calls me pinky

i guess he's racist
Reply 49
When I was younger if you said "black" it was considered racist and everyone used the word "coloured"... however now "coloured" is considered racist but "black" isn't, how are we supposed to know?

A lot of black people can, and do, call white people whatever they want and nobody seems to consider it racist, double standards suck.
Llamageddon
one calls me pinky

i guess he's racist

Well if you call him darky, he's just returning the favour of acknowledging your actual skin colour, coz face it, you are really not white and blacks are really not black are they?
JoeWed
When I was younger if you said "black" it was considered racist and everyone used the word "coloured"... however now "coloured" is considered racist but "black" isn't, how are we supposed to know?

Just read up on the origins of a word.
Priscilla J
Well if you call him darky, he's just returning the favour of acknowledging your actual skin colour, coz face it, you are really not white and blacks are really not black are they?
yeah did i call him black? no
JoeWed

A lot of black people can, and do, call white people whatever they want and nobody seems to consider it racist, double standards suck.

It's all this PC stuff, who invented it or put it into action? they are to blame for it!
Reply 54
No, because white people are also "coloured".
Reply 55
It's racist. I have never met someone who would describe themselves as 'coloured'. The only people who do are in South Africa, there basically social outcasts.

Definitely a racist term. Surely it isn't that hard to remember?
Reply 56
Oh noes! Not a verb!? Surely some mistake!
Reply 57
yes I believe the intent should play a big role, I prefer to use african, british, chinese, asian etc.
No one actually thinks the word black is racist man, I mean really whoever made you think that is a moron.
Pink and purple and yellow and blue...

Latest

Trending

Trending