The Student Room Group

How are you finding Psychology?

Is it me, or is psychology an easy subject? All we have to do is learn brief information on 20 core studies, and be able to answer a relatively simple essay question, and copy some coursework out. AS seems much simpler in comparison to Maths, Physics, and ICT (which has so much cwk). It just isnt challenging me academically, i hope it gets harder in A2 :biggrin: Show are you all finding Psychology.

poll.....why not :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
saiyamana
Is it me, or is psychology an easy subject? All we have to do is learn brief information on 20 core studies, and be able to answer a relatively simple essay question, and copy some coursework out. AS seems much simpler in comparison to Maths, Physics, and ICT (which has so much cwk). It just isnt challenging me academically, i hope it gets harder in A2 :biggrin: Show are you all finding Psychology.

poll.....why not :smile:

Which units have you done/are currently studying in class ? 1,2 or 3?

I think that if you have a good teacher who gives you good notes covering everything that needs to be covered then you will find it 'easy' (as with most subjects). My teacher doesn't give me very good notes which can be pretty stressful, but apart from that I find the subject to be easy/average.

Simple essay question? Yer, for unit 1. Unit 2 + 3 are not so straightforward in the essay questions...I think..... :wink:
Reply 2
Depends on your attributes. [AQA A]

Module 2 is probably the hardest AS module for people with crap teachers because you need the teacher to explain the physiological body functions in more detail than just what the book tells you.

Module 3 is easy, especially research methods.

Module 1 is relatively easy.

Easy as in understanding the concept. However, for people who cant attain large chunks of information, they will find it hard.

Maths is really the ability to solve equations e.t.c not retaining as much information. Different people will find them hard. AS is easy for me. A2 is harder + you have coursework to do too.
Reply 3
It sounds like your on the OCR syllabus - in which case you need much more than "brief" information on the core studies; you need to know them inside out.
Reply 4
On the AQA A spec I found the first year so very easy. I had my teacher baby us though and she would have been better suited to working in a primary school.
This year is harder, but only slightly. I understand things quite quickly, I just need to study to be able to write good essays about them.
The coursework is tediously easy.
Reply 5
nas7232

Module 2 is probably the hardest AS module for people with crap teachers because you need the teacher to explain the physiological body functions in more detail than just what the book tells you.

I'm trying to get my head around Module 2 ... Stress seems to be a big jumble of definitions to me ... I have a new teacher since Jan and he talks very fast, makes us feel small if we don't know anything and sits there staring till we say the correct answer. Does anyone know any good websites for help on this subject?

By the way, i'm new here :smile:

Thanks, Ems x
Reply 6
www.psychade.net has a few notes on AS. It's my teachers site and he is a damn good teacher, but he hasn't taught AS for a few years so no extensive notes on them.
There are good exam/UCAS tips on there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the words and definations if you aren't getting them in class then make up games at home, write the word on one bit of paper and the defination on another for a lot of words and then play find the pair.
Or write words and defs on post it notes and stick them where you will see them alot...mirrors, computer screens, front of books, fridge etc.
Once you have learnt the words still go over them every week or so. It is scary how fast you could forget the stuff...
Reply 7
Luize
www.psychade.net has a few notes on AS. It's my teachers site and he is a damn good teacher, but he hasn't taught AS for a few years so no extensive notes on them.
There are good exam/UCAS tips on there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the words and definations if you aren't getting them in class then make up games at home, write the word on one bit of paper and the defination on another for a lot of words and then play find the pair.
Or write words and defs on post it notes and stick them where you will see them alot...mirrors, computer screens, front of books, fridge etc.
Once you have learnt the words still go over them every week or so. It is scary how fast you could forget the stuff...

Thanks a lot :smile: i recognise this site, i'm sure i downloaded the module 1 revision book for my Jan exams and then everyone asked for a copy.

Cheers
Ems x P.S. I'll try them definition games,
Depends what you're doing in psych. I'm in my third year and I'm finding PSYC3025 at my uni (Abnormal Psych across the Lifespan) a *cough* breeze *cough* however...

PSYC3016 = Neuropsychology = tres difficult :eek:

It's not so easy :redface: I find I really have to put effort into this subject and yes there is a lot of work for it, well at least at my uni... but at least you get to feel smart at the end of the day :elefant:

DB_x
im doing Alevel psychology (ocr i fink) an AS werent too hard...20 studies quite easy i guess but A2 much harder mainly cos u gotta remember sooo much (understandin it is easy)...an our teachers evil...she takes it too seriously i fink...
pandemonium
im doing Alevel psychology (ocr i fink) an AS werent too hard...20 studies quite easy i guess but A2 much harder mainly cos u gotta remember sooo much (understandin it is easy)...an our teachers evil...she takes it too seriously i fink...
Lol. Yeah that sounds like our lecturers :biggrin: I have noticed a trend tho at my university, they all seem to have German accents... *ponders* :rolleyes: Infact, actually come to think of it, two of my lecturers this semester do :p:
danni_bella83
Lol. Yeah that sounds like our lecturers :biggrin: I have noticed a trend tho at my university, they all seem to have German accents... *ponders* :rolleyes: Infact, actually come to think of it, two of my lecturers this semester do :p:

hehe if u were doin german then mayb mite b understandable. guess scary teacher makes the alrite ones stand out more...well...in theory.

Should b like a contest into who has the scariest/weirdest teacher/lectureres...
I'm doing AQA AS and i find it okay....I dont think my teachers make it that easy for me though. When I've gone and done my own revision i've found it a lot easier than i first thought it was.
I am doing psych on the Edexcel board and AS wasn't bad AT ALL...A2 is OK; but criminal + sport psych together in Unit 4 (I think) was A LOT of work!

A2 Unit 5 Child and research methods ain't bad...way easier than Unit 4!

The AEA I am doing for psych...completely diff answer... :p:
Psychology's my best subject atm :smile: i think it's because i find it the most interesting. also the fact i do eng lit helps as there's so much essay writing involved :rolleyes:
:dito: I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you caffecooki...Eng Lit does help psych work a lot..as of course does Eng Lang! Psych is also my fave subject, with law a very, very close second (opted for psych degree though!). :biggrin:
Haras Sarah
:dito: I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you caffecooki...Eng Lit does help psych work a lot..as of course does Eng Lang! Psych is also my fave subject, with law a very, very close second (opted for psych degree though!). :biggrin:

i'm doing a psychology degree too :biggrin: (if i get the grades! :rolleyes: )
everyone always moans that writing essays is difficult, but i'm so used to it now it's pretty straight forewards! :biggrin:
i started off psychology with an amazing teacher, but then she got promoted an left- cow and then we got another teacher she is good, one of the best i have but its just not as interesting anymore
Reply 18
rachelrainbow32
i started off psychology with an amazing teacher, but then she got promoted an left- cow and then we got another teacher she is good, one of the best i have but its just not as interesting anymore

Same happened with me! I just don't understand it at all now with the other modules.

Ems x
Reply 19
AS in OCR is quite simple...for core studies 2 if you know your stuff you can do really well cuz i got 100/100. A2 is harder as it is more applying the psychology from AS to the studies in A2...and it's more directed at a topic rather than broad...A2 is so much better than AS..it's more relevant

Latest

Trending

Trending