The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jas0nuk
Also did this paper today. It wasn't too bad. Surprised about the lack of circular motion!

What did everyone get for the magnitude of the frictional force against the piston in the SHM question?
They said 0.76J of energy is removed in one complete cycle.
I worked it out as

Work done = force * distance
0.76 = force * (0.15 * 4) <-- x4 because in one cycle it goes from +0.15 to 0 to -0.15 back to 0 and then to 0.15 again
.: Force = 1.2N

But other people put different answers. Someone said 9.2N and someone else 2.4N :s-smilie:

The velocity of the alpha particle after hitting the gold nucleus was -1.44 x 10^7 metres per sec (opposite direction but they asked for speed not velocity)

the way i did that one was KE=0.5xmxv^2
to find the velocity then
F=(mv^2)/r
so F=m x omega x velocity
omega = 2 x pi x f
so
F= m x 2 x pi x f x v

cant see this being the correct way tell ya the truth but it was alll i could think of during the exam
Reply 21
Thoughtless
the way i did that one was KE=0.5xmxv^2
to find the velocity then
F=(mv^2)/r
so F=m x omega x velocity
omega = 2 x pi x f
so
F= m x 2 x pi x f x v

cant see this being the correct way tell ya the truth but it was alll i could think of during the exam

you cant use F= (mv^2)/r because it wasnt circular motion
Reply 22
I simply couldn't work out how to rearrange the formula that needed the sq root of KE. But for some reason I just squared the momentum and went from there. Was pretty straight forward after that but boy did that scare me lol.
Reply 23
jas0nuk
Also did this paper today. It wasn't too bad. Surprised about the lack of circular motion!

What did everyone get for the magnitude of the frictional force against the piston in the SHM question?
I worked it out as

0.76 = force * (0.15 * 4) <-- x4 because in one cycle it goes from +0.15 to 0 to -0.15 back to 0 and then to 0.15 again

But other people put different answers. Someone said 9.2N and someone else 2.4N :s-smilie:

The velocity of the alpha particle after hitting the gold nucleus was -1.44 x 10^7 metres per sec (opposite direction but they asked for speed not velocity)

Ditto! that is what i got for the two answers...though instead of minus i put to the left!
Reply 24
By they way, For T and A , what values did you guys get in question 2? Oh and the for question where it asked how the electron shows wave properties and particle properties in the apparatus shown? I put that, the electron produces interference patterns ( Wave) and it can be accelerated using high potential difference or electric field ( particle!)
Reply 25
memenme_1
By they way, For T and A , what values did you guys get in question 2? Oh and the for question where it asked how the electron shows wave properties and particle properties in the apparatus shown? I put that, the electron produces interference patterns ( Wave) and it can be accelerated using high potential difference or electric field ( particle!)

i put the same thing
Reply 26
For Q2, T and A were read off the graph allowing f to be determined.
T = 0.25sec .: f = 4Hz
A = 0.15m

edit: memenme_1, I put exactly the same things for the last question xD
Reply 27
jas0nuk

I worked it out as

Yeah I also got 1.2 N but I used F=P/v

It's pretty unorthodox but it seems to have worked.

Your speed value however... I got something to the power 5, not 7. (i mean like, something times 10^5)

I was pretty confident for that one... What was your method?
Reply 28
Ydde
I simply couldn't work out how to rearrange the formula that needed the sq root of KE. But for some reason I just squared the momentum and went from there. Was pretty straight forward after that but boy did that scare me lol.

Yeah basically that's what I did. Actually I think I multiplied both sides of the KE equation so you had mKE=0.5m2v2mKE=0.5m^2v^2
Reply 29
jas0nuk

I worked it out as

Got the same as you in all :smile:
KE=0.5mv^2
(2KE)/m = v^2

v=sqroot((2KE)/m)

p=mv

p=m x root((2KE)/m)

p=root(2KEm)

p=root(KE) x root (2m)

p=1.35something... x root(KE)

thats how i did it
if anyone would like to put that into latex form that would be great - i dont know how to use it lol
Reply 31
alan910_2
I got the speed to be something times 10 to the power 5. Also, it was negative because it is rebounding in the opposite direction.

Speed negative? - I don't think so. If it asks for speed it wants magnitude not direction hence you put the positive value. You will only lose 1 mark. :frown:
Reply 32
I thought it was a very generous exam. Did you see the small section on question 5 I think:

Work function: The minimum energy input required to liberate and electron from a surface.

2nd part was E=hf.

3rd part was basically:

ekmax = hf - work function

Took about 2 minutes worth 8! marks.

I believe I done well. I think I got an A and I think to get 100 UMS marks you need 65/75. So i'm hoping I got 65.
Reply 33
liamo1
I thought it was a very generous exam. Did you see the small section on question 5 I think:

Work function: The minimum energy input required to liberate and electron from a surface.

2nd part was E=hf.

3rd part was basically:

ekmax = hf - work function

Took about 2 minutes worth 8! marks.

I believe I done well. I think I got an A and I think to get 100 UMS marks you need 65/75. So i'm hoping I got 65.

Is this paper worth 100 UMS? The AS papers were worth 105 each.
Reply 34
nigel_s
Is this paper worth 100 UMS? The AS papers were worth 105 each.

they are 105 UMS i think
Reply 35
Module 4's worth 90 UMS I think. http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5456-6456-W-SP-09.PDF

Page 6
Reply 36
liamo1
Speed negative? - I don't think so. If it asks for speed it wants magnitude not direction hence you put the positive value. You will only lose 1 mark. :frown:

I don't think it said speed actually, the equation for momentum uses velocity.

Don't know why I said 'speed' in my last comment.

So no, I won't lose that mark :smile:
Reply 37
It did ask for the speed, not the velocity :P
Reply 38
jas0nuk
It did ask for the speed, not the velocity :P

Oh bloody hell, what a stupid question. Momentum uses velocity, so the answer should be velocity.

Regardless, I still don't think they'll dock the mark for the minus sign. They'll expect many to put it I think...
Reply 39
alan910_2
Oh bloody hell, what a stupid question. Momentum uses velocity, so the answer should be velocity.

Regardless, I still don't think they'll dock the mark for the minus sign. They'll expect many to put it I think...

Exactly that's why they do it to catch you out...

Latest