The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Moving the Student Union!!!!

Hello all!
I just visited Bristol the other day on an Open Day - it was absolutely amazing! But argh, argh, argh!! My guide said that the Student Union - the centre of life!!! - may be moved soon, because the lease is up for renewal and it isn't actually owned by the Uni anyway. Will this mean there's nowhere for the students to congregate anymore? I'm actually deciding between Bristol and Warwick at the moment, as my firm, and the thing I really like about Warwick is the SU as it seems a really good place to meet people and make friends. Does anyone know what will happen to the SU building at Bristol? Thanks!
wen i went on my med tour the students told me the union was being moved, however they sed they didnt care because it was rubbish anyway and no1 really went apart from going swimming. i think there the people mainly meet in the bars in the halls, as (i think) they all have them.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
wednesburywench
wen i went on my med tour the students told me the union was being moved, however they sed they didnt care because it was rubbish anyway and no1 really went apart from going swimming. i think there the people mainly meet in the bars in the halls, as (i think) they all have them.

Hehe, thanks wednesburywench. I did seem quite quiet there, although we didn't really get a good look around. I quite like the idea of one building where everyone just goes and hangs out though.
The Bristol student union at the moment is in a slightly impractical location, not very close to either the main precinct or the halls of residence. As a result, people tend to congregate in the refectory on the precinct during the day, and in the hall bars at night. A lot of halls at Bristol (well, the ones I know anyway) have real community spirit, which might give you the vibe you're looking for. That's not to say the union isn't used, but it's generally not packed out. They're planning to create a brand new union on the main precinct itself so that people will use it more and apparently they're currently surveying students over the kind of thing the new union should include. It sounds like it could potentially be a fantastic development, but I'm not sure when it'll happen.
sounds gud
Reply 5
dazednconfused
The Bristol student union at the moment is in a slightly impractical location, not very close to either the main precinct or the halls of residence. As a result, people tend to congregate in the refectory on the precinct during the day, and in the hall bars at night. A lot of halls at Bristol (well, the ones I know anyway) have real
community spirit, which might give you the vibe you're looking for. That's not to say the union isn't used, but it's generally not packed out. They're planning to create a brand new union on the main precinct itself so that people will use it more and apparently they're currently surveying students over the kind of thing the new union should include. It sounds like it could potentially be a fantastic development, but I'm not sure when it'll happen.
^What he said.
Yeah, the union's a bit poo and out of the way really. There's plenty of community spirit in the halls though, particularly in Stoke Bishop where the halls associate with each other more than those in Clifton.
Reply 6
The union building's crap. I've only been to the epi (union bar) about 5 times. Bring on the new building :biggrin:.
Reply 7
timeofyourlife
The union building's crap. I've only been to the epi (union bar) about 5 times. Bring on the new building :biggrin:.

Do you know where they're thinking of putting it at all? I'd assume somewhere round Woodland Road, but there's hardly any space there :confused:
Reply 8
El Pollo Diablo
Do you know where they're thinking of putting it at all? I'd assume somewhere round Woodland Road, but there's hardly any space there :confused:

No idea, soz. Knock down the social medicine building, maybe? :smile:
Reply 9
timeofyourlife
No idea, soz. Knock down the social medicine building, maybe? :smile:

Is that the crappy one next to Clifton Down?
Reply 10
El Pollo Diablo
Is that the crappy one next to Clifton Down?

Yep. Right next to Starbucks so the students can stroll into sociology tutorials at 2pm with a coffee :wink:
Reply 11
you will meet loads of new ppl regardless of a SU bulidng or not. by the way any building must be betterthan the current one! lol come to bristol!

Latest

Trending

Trending