The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do your homework yourself, I know this is the Student room, but you really should try and do something pretty basic on your own (And Google's always a good friend)...
Reply 2
Data Processing system: a Data Processor or Data Processing Unit or Data Processing System is a system which processes data which has been captured and encoded in a format recognizable by the data processing system or has been created and stored by another unit of an information processing system.

Information System: An organized collection, storage, and presentation system of data and other knowledge for decision making, progress reporting, and for planning and evaluation of programs. It can be either manual or computerized, or a combination of both.

These are the definitions, hope they help :smile:
Reply 3
OK... as above!

I've learnt, shorter - mark scheme answer - since we're running out of time before the exam, they might be easier for you to learn? They're not great grammatically, but they'll get me full marks - because of the daft marking criteria AQA seem to follow!

A data processing system is operational or low-level automatic data entry used for repetitive/ routine business activities. E.g. point-of-sale

An Information System is a system that takes data from different sources and converts it into information. E.g. Management Information System (MIS).
Reply 4
lol2003
OK... as above!

I've learnt, shorter - mark scheme answer - since we're running out of time before the exam, they might be easier for you to learn? They're not great grammatically, but they'll get me full marks - because of the daft marking criteria AQA seem to follow!

A data processing system is operational or low-level automatic data entry used for repetitive/ routine business activities. E.g. point-of-sale

An Information System is a system that takes data from different sources and converts it into information. E.g. Management Information System (MIS).

absolutely what i would learn as well
Reply 5
lol2003
OK... as above!

ok thanks. but for the data processing is the outcome information (same as MIS), but the MIS is used for future predictions/decisions etc. The two just sound very similar to me
Reply 6
yes... basically

Think of your local supermarket as an example. The data processing system is when they (the operational level staff) scan all your items in using a bar code... this data of the items you bought is converted into information.... and then the Information system produces information such as which items need restocking, or what a certain customer is buying a lot of... this is usually used by tactical and strategic levels of staffing.

Does that make it any clearer??

BTW, you need to know the definition of an information system AND a management information system (MIS). An MIS is also an example of an information system.
Reply 7
lol2003
yes... basically

Think of your local supermarket as an example. The data processing system is when they (the operational level staff) scan all your items in using a bar code... this data of the items you bought is converted into information.... and then the Information system produces information such as which items need restocking, or what a certain customer is buying a lot of... this is usually used by tactical and strategic levels of staffing.

Does that make it any clearer??

BTW, you need to know the definition of an information system AND a management information system (MIS). An MIS is also an example of an information system.

yeh i think so, thanks
so can they and are they often integrated/ work together?
and are there any topics you find hard/easy or what you advise me to revise thoroughly:o: i want to know what the twenty mark question is going to be!