The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

People shouldnt be very skinny either (anorexic or verging on it), that also shortens life.
Reply 61
I used to be fat, the only reason was because I was lazy and ate too much, I doubt there are many fat people with any reason other than this.

I was a useless waste of skin, so I lost the weight and life is so much easier when you are fit :smile:

Kids should have to do a two mile run every morning at the start of school, we could get time for it by dropping crap like RE, PSE, citizenship, drama, etc.
Drama isn't a subject that should be dropped, because most drama course i have been on, use fitness within the course. So that would be kinda stupid!
Well it gets unhealthy if you're too obese. So yeah, they should lose weight for their own good. And so that they don't steal seats on buses... I mean really, really obese people.

God I sound cruel :s-smilie:
whitepearlbaby
Well it gets unhealthy if you're too obese. So yeah, they should lose weight for their own good. And so that they don't steal seats on buses... I mean really, really obese people.

God I sound cruel :s-smilie:

Yeah your right there, it does get annoying when a two seat is taken up.
YoSuis
Nope....on condition that...

1.They don't spend every waking moment of their lives complaining about being fat and doing nothing about it

2.There should be a fat tax when you get on a plane...I pay 40 euros extra cause my suitcase is 2lbs overweight, (through no fault of my own :tongue:). Then this huge, and I mean HUGE, woman easily carrying 10 more stones than me around her belly gets to waltz through security in the name of political correctness

I agree with this to an extent but I think there should be a certain point when everybody is encouraged to lose weight. I mean when you get to the point where you're taking up more than one seat on public transport or sagging over the sides of chairs when you sit down something needs to be done. When you're taking up more than the average weight limit on planes you should have to pay tax, whether it's due to heavy bags or your heavy self...

Something I hate is people who are fat and complain about it; the amount of times a person I know has eaten seconds or thirds at dinner and then proceeded to spend the rest of the day moaning in distress about how fat she is and how she's too flabby etc. Then when you suggest eating less and/or exercising more she's just like "oh, I can't be bothered..." or the such like; only to continue complaining about it later on. If you're not going to do something about it, you don't have the right to moan about your situation.

I had this argument with my mum a few weeks ago about this "fat teens in love" programme. I said something like "well they can't really say their 'suffering' from obesity when they're the ones stuffing pies down their throats" and she was all like "until you're fat you can't say anything about it, it isn't their fault they're in this situation - something might have made them become like that".

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Jeez... (shes fat and constantly acts like she's been victimised or forced to do it :rolleyes: ). I can understant if their parents brought them up with lots of food and they were to young to do anything about it; however when you've gotten fat through choice or "comfort eating" then it's your own fault.
Reply 66
It is up to each individual person what they want to do with their body, not anyone else (or the Government).
ohemmacharlotte
People shouldnt be very skinny either (anorexic or verging on it), that also shortens life.

anorexic does not = extremely overweight. Anorexia is a mental condition and not the fault of the sufferer. Arguably unlike obesity.
Reply 68
Also, lots of people seem to claim that being fat is a 'drain on society'. In what way? Due to my extra layer of 'protection' I have not caught a cold or virus for about 10 years. I've never had chickenpox, I am rarely ever ill. I go to the gym 4 times a week, I eat good meals (although I stray off the path because I love biscuits, hence I go to the gym a lot) I walk about a mile every day to school.

I actually think that skinny people could be deemed just a drain on society. OK so obese people and people who are fat their whole lives are more likely to have heart attacks etc, but don't tarnish everyone with the same brush.
if theyre unhealthy then yes. also if they have children and theyre making their kids fat too, its not fair! happy-mediums :smile:
Reply 70
I'm pretty sure you can't be fat and healthy considering some day they'll most likely need some sort of heart bypass because of all the fat clogging up their arteries or whatever

Humans are meant to be athletic, of course fat people need to lose weight, no benefits come from being fat if you think about it
Sorry, just one point I'd have to argue with:

Beige_Angel
they can't really say their 'suffering' from obesity .

People do "suffer" from obesity actually - it may be self induced, but it's hardly pleasant.

Beige_Angel
If you're not going to do something about it, you don't have the right to moan about your situation.

I agree with you about the people who moan but won't do anything about it though. I'm fat, but I don't moan about it - I just went and joined WeightWatchers last year, cut down on junk, and exercised (21.5 lbs lost so far! :biggrin: ). I ate the food, I didn't exercise - it's nobody else's fault but mine that I'm fat; so I don't moan about it: I actually get up and do something about it. :yep:
lemoncake sucks

Fat people should be encouraged to loose weight,definatly not healthy and i dislike parents who let their children stuff themselves with unhealthy snacks, i think a while back on one of those American tv shows, a 6 year old was overweight and his mother would let him eat butter with a spoon :eyeball:
I don't think they should be forced to, but how would you force them? :/ But they should definatly be made aware of ther health risks etc.

I agree, I hate seeing obese kids. :frown: I used to know a horribly overweight nine year old who used to eat entire sticks of butter as a snack. :yucky:

I guess you could 'force' fat people to lose weight by making them pay for their bulk, like making them pay extra for their clothing and for extra room and seats they take up. That would make me feel pretty uncomfortable if I was big. However, obviously that would be gross discrimination and would never happen.
Weight and BMI are irrelevant, my BMI is over 35, but my waist is under 38 at 6’1 so I am fine.
People should be encouraged to lead a more active lifestyle and reduce their BF levels, weight means nothing really if they are building muscle etc, the simplest and easiest way at home is the tale of the tape around the danger areas: the abdomen.

This is of course related to health issues, however they have to make the choice to do it, forcing someone to do anything is against human rights. If they want to be at risk that is their choice, all anyone can do is educate them to the risks and propose manageable methods of controlling it and looking after themselves better.
Folk should be able to be whatever weight they want, as long as they understand the health implications and don't whine and moan when they become ill and expect the NHS to sort them out.

It does my nut in when people moan about their weight but aren't prepared to do anything about it.
I don't really care, fat people don't bother me

but if they're the kind of fat people who don't look after their personal hygeine and make ME suffer the consequences... that's where I draw the line
Everyone who is overweight should lose weight
Especially if they are unsatisfied with their appearance
I would say, that yes the slow metabolism argument isnt right but not exactly untrue, since if it was then how can there be plently of slim people who live off take aways and alcohol and get a bus or drive everywhere?

My idea is that external factors take an effect and like I have said before one of the major ones is sex, when I was slim I had a lot of sex with my girlfriend, I also used to be sick on a night out drinking that I did once or twice a week.

Now im single and dont go clubbing more than once a month my weight goes up so easily.

I have been to Mcdonalds twice in 4 months, first time I shared a big mac and chips with a friend, and last time had a mayo chicken.

I often starve during the day but get something full of calories like a few slices of pizza then a yogurt at dinner and drink a lot of fizzy drinks, I do a lot of walking like to uni each day and back, sometimes do an hours walk into town centre then around town for a few hours, dont drink alcohol, dont eat things like crisps or chocolate or sweets etc.

But my weight hardly changes, but on the rare occasion I eat sweets my weight goes up so in that way its metabolic as im not burning off what I am putting on right.
The BMI is a more or less accurate measure of a height to weight ratio.

I think those people who deliberately abuse their health and eat themselves into a sorry state (as opposed to those who are big in size due to genetics) and whos BMI exceeds that of what is healthy SHOULD be made to lose it!

Fat people in that instance, when they decide they want arteriosclerosis and other messed up heart conditions to settle in and start dying, cost the NHS billions! (i think it were something like 10 or 20 billion 4 years ago) and that is solely down to them wanting too much of a good thing!

I enjoy a mcd's or a pizza, but i do it in moderation and i aint fat or obese as a result.

It's greed that causes people to eat in excess (again, not including those for whom it is genetic). It's greed that has messed up the world economy too and now absolutely everyone is poopin themselves about it.

And in the instance of what greed does to the NHS, well as i said earlier it costs 20 billion or so, and that was like 4 or 5 years ago, people have gotten fatter since. But when people who dont abuse their health are struck down with things like cancer, the NHS turns round and says that they wont fund things like much needed herceptin pills for people with breast cancer. Wonder why?

I think people who deliberately abuse their health, eat crap, get fat and die as a result of it should be given the option of stopping or denied the costly treatment that more times than often results unless of course, they pay for it.
Hollandaise_Sauce
The BMI is a more or less accurate measure of a height to weight ratio.

I think those people who deliberately abuse their health and eat themselves into a sorry state (as opposed to those who are big in size due to genetics) and whos BMI exceeds that of what is healthy SHOULD be made to lose it!

Fat people in that instance, when they decide they want arteriosclerosis and other messed up heart conditions to settle in and start dying, cost the NHS billions! (i think it were something like 10 or 20 billion 4 years ago) and that is solely down to them wanting too much of a good thing!

I enjoy a mcd's or a pizza, but i do it in moderation and i aint fat or obese as a result.

It's greed that causes people to eat in excess (again, not including those for whom it is genetic). It's greed that has messed up the world economy too and now absolutely everyone is poopin themselves about it.

And in the instance of what greed does to the NHS, well as i said earlier it costs 20 billion or so, and that was like 4 or 5 years ago, people have gotten fatter since. But when people who dont abuse their health are struck down with things like cancer, the NHS turns round and says that they wont fund things like much needed herceptin pills for people with breast cancer. Wonder why?

I think people who deliberately abuse their health, eat crap, get fat and die as a result of it should be given the option of stopping or denied the costly treatment that more times than often results unless of course, they pay for it.

Such an ignorant and unintelligent answer.

What about the thin people who abuse their health and go to hospital for it because they are thin should they be treated no questions asked?

So someone like me who is fat but hardly ever eats pizza or McD's and very likely far less than you is greedy? the very way you said your reply that you enjoy it in moderation is hinting that fat people always eat pizza and take aways/McD's where do you get that from? Isnt the British culture to get drunk and a greasy kebab or burger afterwards so isnt that greedy? What about people who go clubbing each week and get drunk and abuse their health.

I eat because im hungry, my body is used to being hungry and im bored im not greedy in the slightest since a few years ago went hitchhiking Europe and starved for days then when I finally ate just shared a pizza with who i went with and that was it all day.

You have to look at someones diet in bigger terms, is a fat person who drinks fizzy drinks a lot, and unhealthily worse than a thin person who drinks a lot of alcohol, eats a lot of take aways, does no exercise etc less greedy just as they are thin?

Latest