The Student Room Group
University of York
York
IeuanF
What's Fairfax House like? Can you apply for it specifically, or just Vanbrugh College in general? It looks really nice.

Yes, you can apply for it specifically. (At least that's what I did)
University of York
York
Reply 2
Yep Yep Yep, I was going to go there, but decided I wanted corridors instead
Fairfax is... very pretty from the outside, nice inside but a little love-worn. The rooms were painted this year - a whitish and bluey colour scheme that is actually quite nice compared to the hellish goodricke cell block c or even the more expensive travel-lodge-esque alcuin. Great sense of community and only 7 minutes from the edge of campus but i'd give it 15 to get to central hall. Also closer to morrissons etc . It is actually quite nice being off campus as you can escape from the uni bubble and you also feel more of a part of York city as you are situated within 20 minutes from the town. The rooms vary, mine is very small but sweet and i have nice views of the minster. However i have seen a couple of huge ones so it really is hit or miss. Sink in every room and breakfast is included in the price (comprises of cereal/toast/fruit/yoghurt etc). Large common room with a (slightly dodgy) pool table and a TV room with a large flat screen.
You aren't in flats or 'corridors' like most accommodation; it is more like dorms or how you would imagine old/college 'halls'. I think this is a huge positive as it means you are not limited to making friends with only your flat in freshers. I made a group of really great friends from all over my floor (and the one below) who i have loads in common with and i get the feeling most people have too.
The Kitchens are probably the worst bit about Fairfax as they are very small on the first and second floor and are supposed to be shared by 20 people. You get used to it though and people seem to cook at different times anyway.
I think there are some pics on the fairfax facebook group so have a search. x
Also if you specifically tick the Fairfax box you are likely to get it as it isn't popular (it think because of the location)
Reply 5
I wouldn't want fairfax house, it's just a bit annoyingly away, feels like you're living off campus. Of course, if that's what you want, then HURRAH.
To be honest, I'd heartily recommend you apply for it, especially if you're doing a subject with few contact hours. It's really lovely, except for the kitchen(s).
Reply 7
They always seem to have a laugh over there.

Latest

Trending

Trending