The Student Room Group

cheap destinations for a gap year on a budget with a capital b

planning a gap year on a VERY tight budget so I was wondering... where is stuff cheap. Because I know that Europe, at least Western Europe is really inflated like England and obviously America is too but what about Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South America. I know it's going to be a lot more expensive to get to those places than it will be to get to like Italy or Spain or somewhere but once you get there will stuff like food and accommodation be cheaper??
Thanks loads!!!
p.s. hope i'm not being stupid and that this is an infuriating post to people who actually understand economics
Australia and NZ are pretty similar in terms of cost to Europe and North America. Here you're looking at around 20 euros for your accommodation, so around 30 euros with food and stuff added in. Asia and South America are cheaper, and you can get by pretty easily on less than £10 a day for all your accommodation, food and travel leaving a wee bit spare out of that to fund more expensive tourist activities. Obviously then within these regions the cost differs a lot - a week in Hong Kong will cost you much more than a week in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for example.
Reply 2
South America is cheap but generally more expensive to get to than SE Asia, which is also cheap. Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam are all cheap but more than 2 months in the area would probably be too much. China (away from the east coast) can be pretty cheap too. How much time do you have? Wherever you plan on going check out couchsurfing.com for free digs.
Reply 3
Thailand is cheap
Reply 4
For a short term trip of a few weeks the middle east will be the cheapest (due to low cost airlines). For a longer trip India & SEA is gunna be cheapest. AirAsiaX is flying now I believe too.
rscully
South America is cheap but generally more expensive to get to than SE Asia, which is also cheap. Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam are all cheap but more than 2 months in the area would probably be too much. China (away from the east coast) can be pretty cheap too. How much time do you have? Wherever you plan on going check out couchsurfing.com for free digs.

When you say too much, do you mean you'll go over your budget within a two month time frame, or by that time you'll of done all there is to do??
Reply 6
allieRAWR!
When you say too much, do you mean you'll go over your budget within a two month time frame, or by that time you'll of done all there is to do??

I mean you could easily see the highlights within that time frame, but if you want to hang around, teach or whatever then stick around.

Latest