The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Oladz
but an equally interesting question is where did all the intermediates' fossils go?

Intermediates, or transitionals? They are two different things.

The duck-billed platypus is an example of an intermediate, it has features of mammals but also has a beak.

Transitional fossils do exist, even through creationists try to deny it. If you look at the evolution of the horse, there are plenty there. Also with human evolution. Tiktaalik is a very famous example, that is a transition between fish and amphibians, it is thought to have happened because it and its descendants lived in shallow, poorly oxygenated pools of water.
ticktockclock
what i dont get is why isnt natural selection still happening in this modern days. where are the next creatures which are developing strange bits to help them survive. everything seems to have remained the same for thousands of years so it would be easier for science to explain evolution using fossils becasue no one was actually there so you cant poof or disproof( and dont give me nonsence about computer generatin or whatever it is). where is the living proof show me a creature that is in the process of natual selection(i know it take generations but theyve been keeping records now for long enough so it shouldnt be hard). i dont believe in god either

just because im studying the evolution of pathogens right now:

the malaria parasite
Reply 82
Witches_Rave
There have to be favourable conditions for preservation. Also many natural disasters have occured and these can effect the preservation of fossils dramatically.

Besides they may be more we just haven't found them yet.

fair point i suppose.
Reply 83
wannabe mexican
why are there even apes then? If we survived, where did they come from? It just makes no sense.

*Sigh*

.......................Human/ape ancestor
........................./...............\
..................... /...................\
..................Humans.............Apes
..........(Left the jungle).......(didn't leave the jungle)

We survived as a species because we adapted to our surroundings
In case you didn't realise apes are pretty well adapted to living in Jungles etc. hence their survival.

(this is incredibly simplified btw)
kevin543
oh shut up with your religious garbage

you dont mean that
deep down you do beliieve in god
kwalis
*Sigh*

.......................Human/ape ancestor
........................./...............\
..................... /...................\
..................Humans.............Apes
..........(Left the jungle).......(didn't leave the jungle)

We survived as a species because we adapted to our surroundings
In case you didn't realise apes are pretty well adapted to living in Jungles etc. hence their survival.

(this is incredibly simplified btw)

and the steps between just convieniently died out?
Reply 86
ticktockclock
what i dont get is why isnt natural selection still happening in this modern days. where are the next creatures which are developing strange bits to help them survive. everything seems to have remained the same for thousands of years so it would be easier for science to explain evolution using fossils becasue no one was actually there so you cant poof or disproof( and dont give me nonsence about computer generatin or whatever it is). where is the living proof show me a creature that is in the process of natual selection(i know it take generations but theyve been keeping records now for long enough so it shouldnt be hard). i dont believe in god either

it is still taking place, bits of animals don't suddenly appear unless there is some kind of anomaly that is naturally selected for (i think the hammerhead shark was an example of this) humans are less an example as even the weak ones of the species can survive however animals are still developing, it's a cosntant arms race between predator and prey, also sexual selection causes changes however there will always be cheats in any system which can slow selection but allows for variation
Oladz
I think some people are of the opinion that the lack of fossils showing the intermediary forms of creatures undergoing evolutionionary change is a bit of an issue.

its not an issue. because there straight up isn't a lack of fossils showing such.
Reply 88
ticktockclock

Actually, it is. There have even been observed instances of speciation in human history. Here's a few:

Drosophila paulistorum, possibly in the mid 1900s

Faeroe Island house mouse, speciated 250 years after it was introduced to the islands

5 new species of cichlid fishes

plenty others too

But remember, thousands of years is generally a tiny amount of years, relatively speaking.
Reply 89
wannabe mexican
and the steps between just convieniently died out?

I can't reproduce the diagram, but yeah, they did. In fact, everything above the Human (left the jungle) / Apes (didn't) level did. it's called extinction.
Reply 90
Has this issue not been resolved by an experiment that demonstrates adaptation to changing environments and the formation of a new species distinct to the original (im thinking bacteria peeps!, shouldnt someone do this or has it been done?)
daryush
I can't reproduce the diagram, but yeah, they did. In fact, everything above the Human (left the jungle) / Apes (didn't) level did. it's called extinction.

It still doesn't explain why though. To me evolution requires more blind faith than any religion or cult or other belief system.
Reply 92
check out the tree of life

http://www.tolweb.org/tree/

it's amazingly detailed and shows just how many species have gone extinct (it's being constantly updated still as we learn more)
daryush
Actually, it is. There have even been observed instances of speciation in human history. Here's a few:

Drosophila paulistorum, possibly in the mid 1900s

Faeroe Island house mouse, speciated 250 years after it was introduced to the islands

5 new species of cichlid fishes

plenty others too

But remember, thousands of years is generally a tiny amount of years, relatively speaking.

you need to elaborate more and the new fish thing....it just means that the fish werent dicovered till then(no evolution there)
I believe God created everything but then evolution has taken place since then...
Reply 95
wannabe mexican
It still doesn't explain why though. To me evolution requires more blind faith than any religion or cult or other belief system.

They died out because their descendants outcompeted them. They were better adapted for their environment, so got more food / space / sex or got infected less, etc

(Does that help at all?)
kevin543
i have and i admit i find it baffling why humans for example don't have wings.
do we already posess something similar to wings that aren't quite wings? no. and do we needs wings anyway? no. so there.

and how the hell can you suddenly "develop" wings.
lol what a load of rubbish!
indeed it would be.
ticktockclock
you need to elaborate more and the new fish thing....it just means that the fish werent dicovered till then(no evolution there)

ver you go

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v455/n7213/covers/
Reply 98
Oladz
Has this issue not been resolved by an experiment that demonstrates adaptation to changing environments and the formation of a new species distinct to the original (im thinking bacteria peeps!, shouldnt someone do this or has it been done?)

anyone?
ticktockclock

well it is actually, especially when it comes to animals adapting to the steel jungles we create. An example is the peppered moth. There are tw main colour forms of the peppered moth, a black form and a mottled colour(spotty white,black, grey kinda colour). Although factories are cleaner now in the industrial revolution towns were covered in soot and fumes. The black colour form could camouflage against dirty walls and so birds would not see it, however the mottled one would be spotted and eaten, the mottled one disguises better on lichen covered walls and trees, in that environment the black coloured moth is eaten. So if the whole world had become full of polluting factories it is likely the mottled colour form moth would have died out, leaving only the black colour form. Other creatures with darker colours would have also blended in better and so if for millions of years there were factories pumping out soot many species of animals would become black skinned,feathered etc as it helps them survive.

That's a good example of natural selection I would say.

Latest

Trending

Trending