stephyrose23
And I've heard that DMU beats Leicester at every sporting event!! :tongue:

Well, I think the stats tell a different story.... :smile:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Im going to study Drama aswell and yeah the general perception of DMU scares me aswell to be honest. But for Drama the course does seem really good and things can only go up I think! I think DMUs great for creative courses such as Drama and Media. Im really looking forward to it! And if employers dont like it, the only career for me is acting haha, but more realistically teaching and Im under the impression your university doesnt matter too much for this so Ill be ok :smile: As Im sure you will be aswell.

I understand your reservations as I have them aswell, but dont let them put you off DMU to study Drama.
Reply 22
Anyone know what DMU is like for Media Production?
Starkov
Im going to study Drama aswell and yeah the general perception of DMU scares me aswell to be honest. But for Drama the course does seem really good and things can only go up I think! I think DMUs great for creative courses such as Drama and Media. Im really looking forward to it! And if employers dont like it, the only career for me is acting haha, but more realistically teaching and Im under the impression your university doesnt matter too much for this so Ill be ok :smile: As Im sure you will be aswell.

I understand your reservations as I have them aswell, but dont let them put you off DMU to study Drama.

Let's cross our fingers then haha, I've just chosen DMU as my firm.
DMU is my firm to study Speech and Language Therapy, and I really liked the uni and city when I visited there. There aren't many universities that do my course, and apparently DMU's reputation for it is one of the highest.
I'm not just saying this because I've chosen it, but because I've spoken to practising SLTs who went there and they really enjoyed it.
I'm doing Journalism next year, and it was a toss up between DMU and Sunderland, so I chose DMU. DMU is supposed to be an alright uni but for Journalism it is apparently one of the best, last year they got 3rd best results for Journalism I believe, so that is basically the reason I'm going there (and because they are NCTJ accredited too)
heya all,
i just fin my first year at DMU doing media production, i cnt wait to get started on the second year!! espesh the tv production module which includes a week long trip to the bbc studios. the first year is oryt but not as exiting as i thought it would be, the worst part is a module dedicated to maths a physics which has to be passed as this is what makes it a BSc degree rather than a Ba. i did not go to any labs or lectures on this module after week 5 nd still passed the exams so its not that bad and the last exam is multiple choice. the other downsides to the first year are building a radio and an amp and having to write a group lab report on it and learning how to write HTML codes and create working web sites. if u can endure this tho there are lots of good things like the video assignments and the still imaging assignments and in the second year you get to chose your own modules rly looking forward to the second and third year :biggrin:
Reply 27
julia221123
heya all,
i just fin my first year at DMU doing media production, i cnt wait to get started on the second year!! espesh the tv production module which includes a week long trip to the bbc studios. the first year is oryt but not as exiting as i thought it would be, the worst part is a module dedicated to maths a physics which has to be passed as this is what makes it a BSc degree rather than a Ba. i did not go to any labs or lectures on this module after week 5 nd still passed the exams so its not that bad and the last exam is multiple choice. the other downsides to the first year are building a radio and an amp and having to write a group lab report on it and learning how to write HTML codes and create working web sites. if u can endure this tho there are lots of good things like the video assignments and the still imaging assignments and in the second year you get to chose your own modules rly looking forward to the second and third year :biggrin:

Who are you.. I am doing the same degree, I am the guy with Brown shoulder length hair, bushy beard, shortish.
hmmmm cant say i know u from tht description. am julia????
Reply 29
julia221123
hmmmm cant say i know u from tht description. am julia????

i'm Edward
am sorry the name dont ring a bell lol u looking forward to next yr?
Reply 31
julia221123
am sorry the name dont ring a bell lol u looking forward to next yr?

Yes
Reply 32
It's okay. The quality of a university is quite a broad thing to discuss, but I'll give it a shot. In terms of general facilities, DMU is excellent, I can walk onto the campus at any time of the day and be guaranteed access to whatever equipment I could ever want or need to use. There are copious amounts of computers in particular, and the new Kimberlin library is pretty much top of the range.

Now, I can't give a very broad analysis of the actual courses, but I'll give an account of how mine has been going; a BA in Creative Writing and English. I'm not sure if it's just my course, but sometimes my assignment remits feel a bit ... ropey? I don't know, it's just sometimes, I feel like they've been put together somewhat haphazardly. This is more a criticism of the Creative Writing department than English, which is comparatively very well put together. My lecturers are of variable quality, but on the whole, are of a very good standard. My main lecturer for English in the first year was an Oxford/UCL postgraduate, and in the second year, my main lecturer was considered an international authority on Ben Jonson. Not all that bad, really, when you also consider that in the 2008 RAE review, DMU was placed alongside Cambridge for its contribution to research in the field of English.

On a more superficial level, my contact hours are relatively low, my reading lists moderate, and due to a high drop out rate following the first year, my class sizes are essentially tutorial sessions with around five to six students to a lecturer on the odd occasion. This works well in that you get a lot of attention from the lecturer, meaning that it's generally fairly easy to wrap your head around whatever's being discussed.

So yeah, it's not as bad as some people on here would have you believe. Also, a degree from DMU truly doesn't differ much from a degree from universities higher up the league tables. DMU isn't exempt from harsh external examination, as per all institutions, so a 2:1/1st is well earned, and this is recognised when applying for jobs/postgrad education. It's certainly nowhere near as nice to look at as somewhere like Oxford, but I think we could all agree that it's got all the basic essentials necessary to get you where you want in life, so long as you're willing to put the effort in. :smile:
Reply 33
its all about what you put into the course and experience as to what you get out of it tbh with you

Latest

Trending

Trending