The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sweetdarling
Like when they say south east, midlands, etc, etc, scotland?

Yeah kinda. Like I said I have no problems with general banter. But Scotland's still a country :smile:
Reply 41
There's a hint in the name United Kingdom which infers that we live in a Kingdom of smaller, joined up fiefdoms like Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland. Of course Scotland is a country. The thing that unites us is the Parliament in Westminster and the Queen as she is the Queen of both England and Scotland, whilst her heir, Prince Charles - Prince of Wales is technically the regent over Wales - I'm not too sure on Northern Ireland.

That sound right?
Celtic_Anthony
There's no debate, Scotland is a nation. The only possible debate is over it being a country.

As for it the word not relating to Scotland, saying "regions get slagged off all the time" in a thread about "Scotland getting slagged off" would suggest otherwise.

How can you definitively claim that Scotland is a nation when nobody knows what a nation really is? Whether a community is a nation or not is dependant entirely on the people within it deciding that they are one. When only 39% of Scots consider themselves purely Scottish and not British, there most certainly is debate.

My post was: "Regions get slagged off all the time. It's just certain Scots (and by no means all of them) who are bitter or insecure enough to take it personally."

Regions could refer to London, Birmingham, Hull, the north, Europe, America, the West, and so on. In your eagerness to wave the flag for it, you just assumed it was an attack on Scotland. If I was referring to one area in particular, why would I pluralise it? I'm sure you now understand what I meant.
Reply 43
I was always under the impression that Scotland wasn't officially a country, but neither was England.
(though they really are) Lol.
Reply 44
Hey, I love the Scots. They work for US
FyreFight
How can you definitively claim that Scotland is a nation when nobody knows what a nation really is? Whether a community is a nation or not is dependant entirely on the people within it deciding that they are one. When only 39% of Scots consider themselves purely Scottish and not British, there most certainly is debate.

My post was: "Regions get slagged off all the time. It's just certain Scots (and by no means all of them) who are bitter or insecure enough to take it personally."

Regions could refer to London, Birmingham, Hull, the north, Europe, America, the West, and so on. In your eagerness to wave the flag for it, you just assumed it was an attack on Scotland. If I was referring to one area in particular, why would I pluralise it? I'm sure you now understand what I meant.

You can be Scottish and recognise Britain, so 39% probably isn't the best figure. Regions are defined by geography, nations are defined by people, it that there is a common culture, tradition, heritage etc...

You were excusing Scotland getting slagged off with your reference to "regions" getting slagged off. If you didn't believe Scotland was a region you're post about "regions" would be quite irrelevant.
FyreFight

I don't really think that point stands up at all.
Yes, you can argue upon the definition of 'nation', but if you view the Union of 1707 as the co-operation of two previously independent 'states', on an equal basis, then surely there exists a seperate identity and legality concerning 'Scotland' and 'England'.(the judicial system for instance).

On the point of the population's identity, why would only 39% considering themselves 'purely' Scottish impact upon this arguement at all? Scottish nationalism as a concept seems to try its best to be inclusive - the Labour party up here is trying its best to appear pro-scotland, while maintaining UK interests.

National identity need not be singular.
I'm Scottish.
I'm British.
I'm European.
Bill Shakespeare
I don't really think that point stands up at all.
Yes, you can argue upon the definition of 'nation', but if you view the Union of 1707 as the co-operation of two previously independent 'states', on an equal basis, then surely there exists a seperate identity and legality concerning 'Scotland' and 'England'.(the judicial system for instance).

On the point of the population's identity, why would only 39% considering themselves 'purely' Scottish impact upon this arguement at all? Scottish nationalism as a concept seems to try its best to be inclusive - the Labour party up here is trying its best to appear pro-scotland, while maintaining UK interests.

National identity need not be singular.
I'm Scottish.
I'm British.
I'm European.

You've much more patience than me. Good post.
How fitting, Braveheart is on tonight on flim4:biggrin: .
moonshine_1991
How fitting, Braveheart is on tonight on flim4:biggrin: .

That movie is a disgrace. Entertaining, but still...:biggrin:
Celtic_Anthony
That movie is a disgrace. Entertaining, but still...:biggrin:

Not historically accurate but shows the passion that us Scots have.
moonshine_1991
Not historically accurate but shows the passion that us Scots have.

So passionate we had to cast an American as the lead to portray said passion? :biggrin:
Reply 52
Urgh, Braveheart :>.<:
Celtic_Anthony
So passionate we had to cast an American as the lead to portray said passion? :biggrin:

Whatever. It is still a good film.:biggrin:
moonshine_1991
Whatever. It is still a good film.:biggrin:

Sorry, I know it is, I've just had a succession of History, Modies and English teachers slag it off.
I hate Braveheart, but then, I'm apt to hate anything that Mel Gibson has been even remotely near.

Edit: omg, celtic_anthony, you're doing the exact course I want to do next year but with French instead of Spanish :O lol, sorry, but that's pretty awesome :smile:
Reply 56
I love Scotland, I want to live there :smile:
Reply 57
ChannieAlana
Tired of endless threads slagging of Scottish People or Scotland in general?

No, to be frank I'm far more tired of the ridiculous Scottish superiority complex that leads to people making a bloody great fuss every time they're legitimately criticised.
L i b
No, to be frank I'm far more tired of the ridiculous Scottish superiority complex that leads to people making a bloody great fuss every time they're legitimately criticised.

Typical of the anti-Scottish sentiment prevalent on this board!
take the bait, go on
Reply 59
I like the scottish.

Latest

Trending

Trending