The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I worked in America for the summer with BUNAC in 2007. Google them and see if there's anything you fancy doing on their site!
Reply 2
Ah cheers, that looks quite interesting. It's definitely an alternative to Ibiza.

I do want to make sure that I make the most out the time in between my uni years rather than just coming home and being bored as ****!
Reply 3
I worked on a french campsite for Keycamp/Eurocamp one year at uni holidays.
Yes, but I went with TWIN UK and for almost all of their placements you need good language skills, so I don't know if that's an option for you?
Immz
I'm starting uni in September and don't plan to do anything this summer but next year in the summer break I plan to go to Ibiza and live and work over there for 2-3 months.

Has anybody ever done anything like this and how did you go about it?

Ibiza im tempted to go there this year.
I was a rep abroad. Best way - free flight, free accomodation, free food and get paid more than if you were working in a pub/restaurant.
What kind of job do you wanna do??
Reply 6
I'm doing that this summer - London
Reply 7
fairy spangles
I was a rep abroad. Best way - free flight, free accomodation, free food and get paid more than if you were working in a pub/restaurant.

I don't know really, just bar work or something would do. I'd just be doing it for the experience of living in a thriving holiday destination for a couple of months!!
Immz
I don't know really, just bar work or something would do. I'd just be doing it for the experience of living in a thriving holiday destination for a couple of months!!

have you got alot of savings behind u if u wanna work in a bar??

its alot of work (but can be alot of fun im told) for not much money. Based on sales so someone i knew could earn as little as 10 euro for 8 hours work. Be prepared for this. I dont think you would be experiencing much of the thriving destination very much and make sure you have some reliable and secure accomodation.

i think im biased cause ive seen people come and fall flat on their backsides even when they are working 7 days a week - i really wouldnt work in a bar.
Have you considered that competition for bar jobs in Ibiza will be pretty fierce? And that they won't pay particularly well, since so many people will work for less than others?
Reply 10
Well its not this summer anyway, next summer I'm thinking about it. Just an idea at the moment but I know I definitely wanna get out the country for the summer
Joanna May
Have you considered that competition for bar jobs in Ibiza will be pretty fierce? And that they won't pay particularly well, since so many people will work for less than others?

Yes, and besides, they'll ask that you are fluent in Spanish and, in most cases, that you speak Catalan.
TeDaX
Yes, and besides, they'll ask that you are fluent in Spanish and, in most cases, that you speak Catalan.

Would that really be an issue in Ibiza? I would have thought it wouldn't be so important in tourist resorts, I would have thought basic Spanish would get you by, so you can understand instructions.
Joanna May
Would that really be an issue in Ibiza? I would have thought it wouldn't be so important in tourist resorts, I would have thought basic Spanish would get you by, so you can understand instructions.

I daresay speaking Catalan is more important than speaking Spanish. You know this separatist government decided that all customers have a right to be spoken to in, at least, Catalan. It's absolutely ridiculous, but this is where we are right now.
TeDaX
I daresay speaking Catalan is more important than speaking Spanish. You know this separatist government decided that all customers have a right to be spoken to in, at least, Catalan. It's absolutely ridiculous, but this is where we are right now.

I didn't know that. I was just basing it off my experience in France, where the main "tourist" restaurants and bars weren't frequented by locals really, they left them to the tourists. I always thought the bars and clubs in Ibiza were a place for chavvy Brits abroad, in general, and the locals avoided it (and I wouldn't blame them!). You learn something new every day :smile:
Joanna May
I didn't know that. I was just basing it off my experience in France, where the main "tourist" restaurants and bars weren't frequented by locals really, they left them to the tourists. I always thought the bars and clubs in Ibiza were a place for chavvy Brits abroad, in general, and the locals avoided it (and I wouldn't blame them!). You learn something new every day :smile:

Hm... now that you mention it, I haven't seen any chavs in a while. I guess they're all off to Málaga.
There's loads of facebook groups about it, a uni friend did it and went in mid-June. She was mainly working in promotion though i.e selling tickets she cant speak Spanish.
fairy spangles

Did you rep just for the summer? What company were you with? I'd love to do that!

I know people who did bar work in Magaluf last summer, but working in a bar is not my thing.
I worked in a science research lab in toronto last summer, it was pretty cool!
Reply 19
fairy spangles

becoming a rep sounds good. what kind fo thing do you have to do and how did you get into it, iv been looking online for a job but havent had much luck! where did you work?

Latest