The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Born Frustrated
If you take your kid out I'm sure people are going to see them, so how is having pictures of them on the internet any different.
I personally don't think it matters, but if yur profiles private anyway, it won't make a difference.

i'm talking about personal photos taken at home when the kid is in their nappy or when they are in the bath. i personally think these types of photos are inappropriate to be on a social networking site for all to see.
Reply 21
My cousin made an actual facebook profile for her baby daughter, so imagine having a whole profile made without ur consent let alone having pictures posted..
Reply 22
I'm against it - my mum posted some photos on her facebook account from her 50th birthday celebrations in which I appear to be severely hampered by alcohol.
On facebook I think it's fine as long as people have their profile to private, as then you can choose who sees the photos and who doesnt as peope have to be your friend. However on things like TSR I think it is a bit strange and a privacy/security risk, especially when people write their kids names, dates of births etc in there too, along with their location because anyone can read these forums. I'd feel pretty uncomfortable that anyone in the world could potentially find my kids and know so much about them because I'd posted it on an internet site. I don't even give my name or birthday or anything like that on here because I don't want people knowing that much about me, let alone about any of my (theoretical) children.

That said, lots of people on TSR have absoultely lovely kids who are beautiful. I'd want to show them off too.
pollystyrene07
i'm talking about personal photos taken at home when the kid is in their nappy or when they are in the bath. i personally think these types of photos are inappropriate to be on a social networking site for all to see.

I do agree that is taking it a bit too far, but as far as other pictures go it's up to the parents. Poor kids don't get a bloody say lol :frown:
Reply 25
What you gonna do? Put your kid in a Burka? They're probably more at risk from perving paedos when they're running around on a beach than they are on a Facebook profile that's properly secured. You can't spend your life being paranoid.
If your kids are cute, why not show them off to your friends? Some of my relatives live so far away and it's wonderful to see their kids growth shown on Facebook. I'd be proud if my parents had put my on the internet (it's not as if I'd find out if a paedo saw my picture, so I'd hardly feel violated). Heck, my profile pic right now is a pic of me aged about 1 with my twin!
yes this is not a good thing, because if you think about it, there might be peadophiles out there that might masturbate over those pictures
Reply 27
I have a couple of photos of my kids on my profile on FB....but its set to private and only my friends can see it. Also I asked my kids if they minded ( they are aged 12 and 10 ) and they said it was ok.
Reply 28
yes, OP. it's so wrong and i'd never do it. they wouldn't do that 10-20 years ago if you asked them, so why do it now... people these days :rolleyes:
I completely agree, was debating about this with a friend the other day. She said that when she has kids, she would be proud to show everyone pictures of her children and wouldn't mind breastfeeding in public. I dont think there is anything wrong with putting pictures of children on the internet, but CLOTHED. It is absolutely unnecessary to put bath/nappy pictures up, why take them in the first place to be honest? You can show relatives your baby pictures clothed, or even email them so the whole world cant see them!?
Reply 30
This is crazy.
Reply 31
pollystyrene07
I can't believe how many of my friends have uploaded photos of their kids(some of them only in nappies/not wearing much) on facebook! Does anyone else find people who do this a bit creepy? for one thing, any weirdo could get hold of pics like that and it's not as if young kids can really give their consent either. I would be absolutely mortified if my mum has put photos of me as a kid all over the internet for everyone to see. personally i think baby pics and the like should be kept strictly for family photo albums only. i don't know what other peoples views are?

For once I actually agree with you. The consent issue I'm not sure is the one I would use to argue with. It would worry me having pictures of my children on the internet, you couldn't be sure who would be able to see them. I'd be especially worried if the photos contained any distinguishable locations or such like.
My auntie has pics of her kids on there, but really only normal photos from family holidays and none of when they were really young, the youngest is 4. What i don't get is people putting baby pics of themselves on there which i few of my friends have done.
Why does it matter? Most people's profiles are set to private and if a paedophile does masturbate over your children (which is sick, don't get me wrong) you would never know.
This is so stupid. If a paedo really got off on that kind of stuff then he could just go and get a bloody argos catologue. I doubt child molesters are going to travel the country because they find your kid fit and saw your address, there's babies everywhere, I'm sure they'd act on a more opportunistic basis.
pollystyrene07
there could be for all we know! i'm sure that there are a lot of strange people out there.

the thing is, kids can't give their consent. how would you feel if your parents had uploaded pics of you as a kid in a nappy with chocolate all over your face, and say you're friends from school got hold of them and started taunting you? wouldn't you feel a little bit humiliated?

Do you really think Facebook is going to be around in thirteen years time? And who looks at their mate's mum's facebook anyway?

And, to be perfectly honest, how does it affect you if some paedophile is jerking off to your children? They could see your kid in the high street, go home and fantasise about them for all you know. It doesn't affect you at all, does it? It's not nice to think about, sure, but no one actually gets hurt.
You can adjust privacy settings on any profile, so its not entirely unsafe. Anyway, I imagine most parents are proud of their babies and children and want to show them off. I would :smile:.
When u leave a comment everyone can see the pic, u can't trust all mates, can u?
inksplodge
Most profiles are on private anyway so :dontknow:

hanna118212
If you put your profile to private, and only accept "friends" then you know who can and can't see anyway.

randomgirl
If the profile is friends only then why would it be a problem? :dontknow:

Born Frustrated
but if yur profiles private anyway

Immz
the privacy settings can be changed on pretty much everything on facebook.

oxymoronic
On facebook I think it's fine as long as people have their profile to private, as then you can choose who sees the photos and who doesnt as peope have to be your friend.

Norfolkadam
Why does it matter? Most people's profiles are set to private

I literally cannot understand how so many of you can be saying the same stupid thing. :indiff: The problem is with other people putting photos of you on the internet - the situation between parents and kids is just one extreme. So what if their profiles are private? What if you don't want their friends seeing you as a naked two-year-old?? It's not even an issue of paedophilia - fine, so I don't care if my relatives see pictures of me as a baby in the bath, but I certainly don't want any risk that those photos will ever be circulated any further, and that means having those photos under my control - which I don't if someone else has them on their profile.

Actually, I seriously wonder how society is going to react to this - a few years down the line, anyone in any position of power will have fifty million photos of them on Facebook drunk, half-naked, face down in a ditch after some night out at uni / college. People are going to end up being tormented, or even having their careers ruined.
yes because people are going to make a fap fest over a family photo........

Latest

Trending

Trending