The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First of all they make you fill out a questionnaire type form about your health/sexual relationships etc. Then they prick your finger to test you're not anaemic. But, I can't help you any further than that!

When I went to give blood, the nurse type woman couldn't find my vein properly and she nicked the edge of it and I ended up with a huge bruise! Then she said they couldn't carry on with it!

I think the donor card is just for giving blood. You get different coloured ones depending on how many times you've donated blood.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
secondary1
First of all they make you fill out a questionnaire type form about your health/sexual relationships etc. Then they prick your finger to test you're not anaemic. But, I can't help you any further than that!

When I went to give blood, the nurse type woman couldn't find my vein properly and she nicked the edge of it and I ended up with a huge bruise! Then she said they couldn't carry on with it!

I think the donor card is just for giving blood. You get different coloured ones depending on how many times you've donated blood.

Hope that helps :smile:

EWWWWWW :>.<:
Reply 3
G-onStaNt
EWWWWWW :>.<:

haha, what's so 'ewwwww'??
Reply 4
secondary1
haha, what's so 'ewwwww'??

Did it hurt :confused:
Reply 5
G-onStaNt
Did it hurt :confused:

it hurt for a day or 2 but it wasn't that bad.
my friend actually gave blood and ended up fainting while they did it, I think that's a lot worse. But that could have been cos she was under the weight they say you have to be.
Reply 6
secondary1
it hurt for a day or 2 but it wasn't that bad.
my friend actually gave blood and ended up fainting while they did it, I think that's a lot worse. But that could have been cos she was under the weight they say you have to be.

Wow, you seem to be a very nice person and so is your friend. All girls should be like you :p:
Reply 7
So do they ask you for your weight and everything? Oh god lol.
Reply 8
Belle-x

No, one of the question is something like 'do you weigh over 7st 6?' or some quite low figure, just to see that you're healthy enough to donate.

A lot of it is about sexual history, if you've been out of the country and so forth.
Erm, you just have to remember not to look at the needle if you don't like them :smile:
Reply 10
L i b
No, one of the question is something like 'do you weigh over 7st 6?' or some quite low figure, just to see that you're healthy enough to donate.

A lot of it is about sexual history, if you've been out of the country and so forth.

Ah right, thanks. :smile:

I can only dream of weighing around seven stone haha! I've been abroad in the last 2 months but only to Europe (Spain and Portugal) so that should be ok!
Belle-x

Where I went they pop you on the scales if they think you might be under 7 stone 6. I thought I'd get away with it :frown: But no they don't want my blood!
Reply 12
Miss Monkey
Where I went they pop you on the scales if they think you might be under 7 stone 6. I thought I'd get away with it :frown: But no they don't want my blood!

Ah lucky you :p: I don't think I look anywhere near the 7 stone mark but I don't want to be weighed anyway - the weighing scales are the devil!

I've booked myself in for next month, scary!
Belle-x
Ah lucky you :p: I don't think I look anywhere near the 7 stone mark but I don't want to be weighed anyway - the weighing scales are the devil!

I've booked myself in for next month, scary!

They shouldn't weigh you then :smile: Good luck! It's definitely a valuable thing to do :biggrin:
Reply 14
Drink plenty of water before the appointment.
Reply 15
I've felt really faint both times I've been, any advice on how to stop that? I eat enough, drink enough, weigh enough, am not bothered by blood/needles, and it doesn't hurt that much. Don't get why I always feel so faint. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
My sister felt faint two times donating blood, so they told her not to donate for about a year.

Eating and drinking beforehand is deffinately a good idea, and they usually have cookies and drinks for you to have after you've donated which is good.

Make sure when they remove the needle that you press down on the area really hard, because it reduces the risk of getting a bruise (I've got bruises both times I've donated :P)
LozengeC
I've felt really faint both times I've been, any advice on how to stop that? I eat enough, drink enough, weigh enough, am not bothered by blood/needles, and it doesn't hurt that much. Don't get why I always feel so faint. :s-smilie:

Not enough iron?
Reply 18
Have something to eat and drink before you go - bear in mind your first time you may feel a bit sick or dizzy afterwards, but in future you shouldn't get that wooziness!

Your first time will go a little something like this:

You go and give your name and appointment time to the person at the desk. I think your first time you sit at a desk with a nurse and sort out all your details. You'll then be sent to sit down with a file to read through and a form to fill in (just a list of questions like 'Have you ever had sex for money?' etc!!!).

After that, a nurse takes you aside and goes through your form, then she'll take a drop of blood from your finger (it's just a quick prick with a needle) and drop it into solution to check you're not anaemic (it has to sink). You can ask any questions you like too. You'll then go and sit in the waiting area until you're called to a couch.

When you get on the couch, they'll run through everything again and sort out the blood receptacles, then they'll wrap a cuff around your arm to bring up a vein. They'll rub the crook of your arm with alcohol solution for a few minutes to sterilise it and numb it slightly.

Once that's ready, they'll insert a needle into your vein - they tell you it'll be a 'short sharp scratch' and it really is nothing more. People think it'll be really painful, and honestly, it won't! It's mild discomfort for a second.

It should take between 5 and 10 minutes for you to fill your bag (first off they fill 3 sample tubes to do tests on) - if your blood flow slows down, the machine will beep and they'll ask you to flex your fingers and pump your hand to get it going faster.

Once you're done, you lie down for a while til you feel ready to get up -particularly as it's your first time, don't be afraid to ask for a while longer if you don't feel ready to get up yet. Then you'll go over to the refreshments area, where they'll give you tea, coffee or squash and you have your pick of biscuits!!!

Take it easy for the rest of the day and make sure you drink lots and have something sugary.

Also, a point to note - if you're interested in joining the bone marrow register, ask about it when you first speak to a nurse. I think you might have to have donated once before already, but even if that's the case, you can ask for a form to take away with you to fill in so you can give it to them when you come for your next session.

Good luck! It's a great thing to do and makes you feel fantastic :smile:
Reply 19
flinchalot
My sister felt faint two times donating blood, so they told her not to donate for about a year.

Eating and drinking beforehand is deffinately a good idea, and they usually have cookies and drinks for you to have after you've donated which is good.

Make sure when they remove the needle that you press down on the area really hard, because it reduces the risk of getting a bruise (I've got bruises both times I've donated :P)

I didn't press down last time, the nurse did it as I wasn't in the best condition, and the first time I did. Haven't actually had a bruise either, I'm just not sure why I don't feel well. :s-smilie: And I feel guilty if I don't go. :frown:

whitepearlbaby
Not enough iron?

No, they test that before you donate. :p: Thanks for the suggestion though. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending