The Student Room Group

Graduate Medicine just as good...?

Hey. So I'm going to be doing Biology/Biomedical Sciences at Uni but recently I've been enjoying human biology and stuff a lot more and dissections and stuff and I've been thinking that being a surgeon would be quite fun. I'm not completely sure at the moment though, and don't have any work experience, so I was thinking that if I did still want to after my uni course, would doing a graduate medicine course be okay? Like is a graduate medicine course just as respected as a normal course, or would future employers be more likely to seek people with an undergraduate medicine course?
Sorry for being sorta unclear, thanks for any help:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just as well respected, much harder to get in for.
Reply 2
There's no real difference, except that it's one year shorter (two years in one) and is also more competitive. Of course it's just as respected, it's still a medical degree and high standards are required.

Moving to the medicine forum.
Reply 3
you are also somewhat expected to have gained more work experience than if you had applied to an undergrad course, but then thats mostly down to how competitive it is, you really have to work hard to make sure that you appear the best choice.
Reply 4
being a surgeon would be "quite fun"? i take it you've never seen their patients then! elderly patients with gangrenous feet who started shouting when the anaesthatists try to get near...or the lady with the perforated bowel who's hanging onto life by a thread...im on a surgical ward and i dont think any of their surgeries are fun.
Reply 5
Of course it's just as respected and equal to the course for undergraduate entrants. But you should do some work experience to get a taste of what medicine's really like...oh and bear in mind you don't have to apply to the 4 yr programs only, in fact you should apply to 2 or 3 5 yr ones as they're less competitive.
Reply 6
Thanks very much for the replies everyone :smile:

*Stargirl*
being a surgeon would be "quite fun"? i take it you've never seen their patients then! elderly patients with gangrenous feet who started shouting when the anaesthatists try to get near...or the lady with the perforated bowel who's hanging onto life by a thread...im on a surgical ward and i dont think any of their surgeries are fun.

Lol, I think it could be!! But no I haven't really seen the patients. I don't think I'd be able to deal with the elderly though, I don't have that much patience! But surely some of the surgeries are fun?!

Democracy
Of course it's just as respected and equal to the course for undergraduate entrants. But you should do some work experience to get a taste of what medicine's really like...oh and bear in mind you don't have to apply to the 4 yr programs only, in fact you should apply to 2 or 3 5 yr ones as they're less competitive.

Do you still apply through UCAS for graduate medicine do you know?
Reply 7
Yes you still apply through ucas for graduate entry.
Reply 8
Flozza_X
Lol, I think it could be!! But no I haven't really seen the patients. I don't think I'd be able to deal with the elderly though, I don't have that much patience! But surely some of the surgeries are fun?!

I really think that you need to sort yourself some WE before continuing planning. You need to get yourself a much better idea of what's involved before convincing yourself of the route you want to take
Reply 9
Flozza_X
Thanks very much for the replies everyone :smile:

Surely you wouldn't be dealing with them when they're not sedated though, so... :s-smilie:
Flozza_X

Do you still apply through UCAS for graduate medicine do you know?

Yes. It's still an undergraduate course you know, just one that's only open to graduates :p:
EskimoJo
Surely you wouldn't be dealing with them when they're not sedated though, so... :s-smilie:

Pre-operative consultations, post-ops, procedures under local anaesthetic :wink:
Reply 12
EskimoJo

As a junior, the vast majority of your time with patients will involve them being conscious, I'm afraid.

And some operations (not surgeries, please!) are interesting, though I wouldn't personally describe them as fun. Lots of surgeons love what they do. I would seriously recommend getting some work experience/shadowing though, to get more of an idea of what it's about (live surgery is not like dissection!)

As for grad medicine, it's perfectly fine (and having a previous degree with obviously be an advantage for job applications) - in fact often the grads are scarily clever types which is a bit demoralising for us mere mortals!
Reply 13
Good points both of you, didn't think of that! Both the surgeries I've seen so far the patients were out of it, so I guess I was just generalising incorrectly! :o:

And I've seen surgeons having consultations with their patients, what was I thinking? :s-smilie: I blame hunger. Ignore me! :p:
Reply 14
If by just as good you mean more competitive, more demanding and less fun then yes, it is.
I've been considering doing this for a little while now.

Depending on how I feel in 3 years time after a Chemistry Bsc I may apply to graduate medicine. Most places want a 1st or upper second but the flexibility of the medicine courses is very good. After some quick research some places seem to fast track graduates, others do not, some treat both graduates and undergraduates equally, some do not. I suppose the bottom line is that after a good dcientific degree with some work experience or volunteering, you would stand a very good chance of accessing a graduate medicine programme.
Reply 16
EskimoJo
Both the surgeries I've seen so far
Pay attention.
Reply 17
liquid_gears
I suppose the bottom line is that after a good dcientific degree with some work experience or volunteering, you would stand a very good chance of accessing a graduate medicine programme.
I beg to differ, even if you do have all those things and more, there are no 'very good chances'.
Reply 18
Renal
Pay attention.

Huh? :confused:
A 'very good chance' may be an overstement but it would be a great foundation to have when applying to graduate medicine.

Why do you say it is less fun and more demanding btw?

Some courses just mix you in with the undergraduates, in that case how is it any different?

Latest

Trending

Trending