The Student Room Group

Is it practical/reasonable/viable???

I want to study medicine. and at universities I want to study it, its a 6 year course

THING IS, I want to take a gap year and live in Poland. (Why? All my family are polish, I never grew up with the experience of the language, or seeing family in poland etc. etc. my parents didnt teach me, and I am starting to learn the language, I really want the experience

If i did a year in poland, started uni at 19, studied medicine until 25, is this a bit silly/stupid/whatever?

Its a hard situation/choice. I know I have ages to think about it, but its something thats bothering me a tad :p:
Reply 1
Why not? Lots of people take gap years. If you learn Polish too, that's something else to add to your PS.
Reply 2
I'd definitely go for it, gap years and traveling should be compulsory.
see my main issue is that medicine is a long degree, and its making it even longer to graduate by going on a gap year, but I suppose its a once in a lifetime opportunity. To be honest I'd love to work in a british school in Poland for a year.
No, it's not stupid. You don't want to miss out on the experience. And it would be even less practical/reasonable/viable to do it after uni. So this is probably your best chance. Enjoy it!
Reply 5
Sounds very practical, reasonable and viable to me, so long as your unis don't mind (doubt they will).

Is graduating one year later really that much of an issue? A gap year is a great idea IMO :biggrin:
So you're talking about is it stupid to go from school on a gap year before university and graduate at the ripe old age of 25, or whether to do it without a gap year and graduate at the really young age of 24?

This is 1 year of your life you are talking about not a decade. When you're only 17 one year seems like a huge difference, and it is at that age in terms of life experiences etc but trust me once you get into your 20s a year doesn't mean anything. It's 12 months, 52 weeks, it is nothing in terms of your actual life. When you're this age your friends age from 18 to into their 30s or even older, when aged 17 you might only talk to people in your school year because the people in the year below are "babies". Age is nothing but a number when you get to university, and even less of a big deal once you're in your twenties.
you're right. it seems a great idea.

thing is, what kind of work could someone do there? i.e. in the major cities such as krakow or warsaw, being semi fluent (and improving) in the language?

any ideas I can research?
Reply 8
Teach English?

Latest