The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
naivesincerity
OK I need to ask more questions.

Like, will someone used to southern life have problems here?
I'm used to southern quizzical detachment and reserve, staying in my own bubble to figure things out, going for runs, using pitches, courts, bike rides etc.

Will it be too rough and ready for me? What with getting into work either end of the day, crime, congestion, lack of green space rowdiness etc

Or will I fall in love with the north and it's nicer less pretentious people?

I know it sounds abstract but advice would help from anyone who knows either one or both of the south/Cambridge and Manchester.

I have friends from the south at uni and they fit in just fine. No one will act differently towards you because you're from the south - although they might say: "Ooh, in't yer accen' posh?" Lol

As for detached, you'll always get quiet people. No one's going to force you to be their friend and it tends to be the same atmosphere in most cities - you'll still get the silent train rides, the hustle and bustle in the street etc. As for getting to work, transport here is pretty good. I commute to uni without problems although congestion will always be a problem if you have a car. There are lots of green places as well. If you drive for 40 mins from Manchester to where I live, in fact, you'll end up in the moors. I go horse riding and there are so many bridle ways, conservation areas etc. The only problem I've noticed with rowdiness is at night in some of the dodgier areas but apart from that, it's a good place to live.

If anything, I think you will be disappointed as it's not like you've described it all lol. You're bound to be nervous if you build it up to be another country. I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile: x
WestHamJake
TBF though, you all speak like uneducated prats.

And you have visited Manchester how many times?
WestHamJake
TBF though, you all speak like uneducated prats.

:eyeball: sure we do kiddo.
Reply 23
I really like Manchester!
To be fair, nobody's pretentious where I'm from anyway, so I suppose I don't notice a difference in the people, but nobody's ever even mentioned the fact I'm from the South in a way that makes any difference whatsoever, if you're worried about that!
There really isn't this North/South divide, well not in the people you meet, I find...
It's less leafy than 'home' but then there are lots of nice parks and you can easily just go to the Peak District if you really fancy going rural...

I'm not sure how serious this thread is supposed to be, but that's my input! Honestly, don't worry about any of the points you raised in your original post!
Reply 24
Well if you're me, you'll definitely fall in love :biggrin:
I'm from Exeter, but at Sheffield for uni. and I've been up to Manchester a lot for gigs and things.
It is truly an amazing city - so warm and welcoming, the people are just so friendly, and it's so cultural - always something going on.
Honestly, it might be a personal thing but I'm from the south and I just ADORE Manchester! I want to live there once I graduate :biggrin:. I'm looking forward to it!
Yes cause I have to visit Manchester to know what they talk like don't I, mugs. :laughing:
Gosh, you really don't want to go to Manchester. All those extroverted Neanderthals paupers in one place! All those, indeed, problems in one place!

Or your could simply try to relax and engage a little more with reality. :smile:
WestHamJake
Yes cause I have to visit Manchester to know what they talk like don't I, mugs. :laughing:

how now brown cow.
Reply 28
arisk01
You have a lot of stereotypes and false criticisms you need to get over.

This.
WestHamJake

Shoo with your immature and naive thinking thinking patterns.
naivesincerity
Only Prestwich/Didsbury/withington are OK right? and further into cheshire.....

It's all OK. Moss Side is a no go at night, if you are in a gang, but other than that you are fine.

And there are plenty of parks. On my 15 minute bus ride to uni, I go past 2 parks.
en papillote
Gosh, you really don't want to go to Manchester. All those extroverted Neanderthals paupers in one place! All those, indeed, problems in one place!

Or your could simply try to relax and engage a little more with reality. :smile:

I didn't mean that. But it does come off badly for crime and health and QOL stats. Everyone I talk to seems to have been burgled.
smalltownboy
It's all OK. Moss Side is a no go at night, if you are in a gang, but other than that you are fine.

And there are plenty of parks. On my 15 minute bus ride to uni, I go past 2 parks.

Wythenshawe? Biggest council estate in Europe...
Reply 33
Just get on with it, dear.
naivesincerity
Wythenshawe? Biggest council estate in Europe...

has a shopping centre, a market and parks though.
You'll really like it, I reckon. I've lived here all my life. But some places are just as pretentious as down South, so if you don't really like that then avoid them
Rutter knows best!
has a shopping centre, a market and parks though.

I must admit that West Didsbury was gorgeous. Wasn't so into Chorlton.
jaydoh
You'll really like it, I reckon. I've lived here all my life. But some places are just as pretentious as down South, so if you don't really like that then avoid them

Wheres better out of Prestwich and Didsbury-Chorlton?
naivesincerity
Only Prestwich/Didsbury/withington are OK right? and further into cheshire.....

Didsbury is almost completely safe-Prestwich and Withington not so much
jaydoh
Didsbury is almost completely safe-Prestwich and Withington not so much

Cheetham Hill, Stretford, Salford and Wilmslow??

Rep available:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending