The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
naivesincerity

Or will I fall in love with the north and it's nicer less pretentious people?

pretentious people are generally disliked.

so you could be in trouble
naivesincerity
Is Mosside/Longsight OK? Ardwick? That surprises me.....

No on all three accounts
jaydoh
No on all three accounts

What about just near the northern quarter? ie Before you get as far north as cheetham hill.....

Also what about them streets off to the side near the station, somewhere near that tram tunnel?

Last time I saw them streets and they were so ******* beautiful.
Longsight is fine, but you do get strange adverts promoting Halal car insurance which made me laugh the first time I saw it. :p:

Moss Side is okay, it's most certainly seen in a bad light when in fact it's only a small few that are rarely in trouble with the law and guns don't 'go off' every night as some on this thread would have you believe; with respect to Ardwick, it is a no-go.
naivesincerity
What about just near the northern quarter? ie Before you get as far north as cheetham hill.....

Also what about them streets off to the side near the station, somewhere near that tram tunnel?

Last time I saw them streets and they were so ******* beautiful.

Piccadilly station?
Buses run until 4am and start up again at 6am, if you need to get home in those two hours than a taxi from city centre to west didsbury would be around £8 if phoned for.
TheMeister
Piccadilly station?

Farifeld street yeah..there were some mysterious old warehouse buildings in quiet sidestreets. **** the mystery, the beaty of it, then I looked down Ashton old road(what is that area like btw..does it go to beswick/openshaw and whats the road like itself?) into the distance and it looked awesome, except there were some chavs throwing things at windows.

Oh and you couldnt tell me about the other part of my post could you...soz know I'm hassling you but it's real important to me.
Reply 87
naivesincerity
Only Prestwich/Didsbury/withington are OK right? and further into cheshire.....

I really think you should visit. You seem to have a very narrow-minded opinion of Manchester, largely based on unfounded (untrue!) assumptions. There are plenty of 'nice' parts. Sure, some bits you'd avoid, but that's the same as with most large cities in the UK, which is what Manchester is.
MEK
I really think you should visit. You seem to have a very narrow-minded opinion of Manchester, largely based on unfounded (untrue!) assumptions. There are plenty of 'nice' parts. Sure, some bits you'd avoid, but that's the same as with most large cities in the UK, which is what Manchester is.

Can you tell me about the above queries? The other geezer has gone.
And it would make me v grateful.
Reply 89
Unfortunately I'm in the leafy bit of 'Cheshire'/ South Manchester, so bar the centre of town, I don't know all of Manchester in a detailed way. I don't feel I'm able to answer your Qs with enough knowledge really. I can vouch that Didsbury is gorgeous though! :smile:
Reply 90
About the parks thing, from the city centre, heaton park which is massive is about a 10 minute tram ride away.
I live in one of the commuter towns for Manchester, it's about 20, 25 minutes away from the city centre by tram and we're actually classed as being in Lancashire, it's very hilly and fieldy like any other village, you don't have to go very far at all for open spaces.
Like any other city in the country, regardless of being in the North or South, Manchester has its fair share of problems, but I love it, I lived in and was born in Cambridge but I'd have Manchester over Cambridge any day of the week, but I'm biased.
As for Mosside, yeah it can be a bit rough, but it won't pose any real threat to you unless you do something incredibly stupid I wouldn't have thought, Northerners and Southerners are all humans.

naivesincerity

Like, will someone used to southern life have problems here?
I'm used to southern quizzical detachment and reserve, staying in my own bubble to figure things out, going for runs, using pitches, courts, bike rides etc.QUOTE]

You can still do all of these things here.
Reply 91
I tried to send you a PM OP but you have too many in your inbox. Anyway, just type 'Stalybridge' into Google Maps and it will show you its location and some gorgeous pics of the canal, fields etc. It might be too far out for you though.
[QUOTE="LB91"]About the parks thing, from the city centre, heaton park which is massive is about a 10 minute tram ride away.
I live in one of the commuter towns for Manchester, it's about 20, 25 minutes away from the city centre by tram and we're actually classed as being in Lancashire, it's very hilly and fieldy like any other village, you don't have to go very far at all for open spaces.
Like any other city in the country, regardless of being in the North or South, Manchester has its fair share of problems, but I love it, I lived in and was born in Cambridge but I'd have Manchester over Cambridge any day of the week, but I'm biased.
As for Mosside, yeah it can be a bit rough, but it won't pose any real threat to you unless you do something incredibly stupid I wouldn't have thought, Northerners and Southerners are all humans.

So theres not to many more chavs then? Do you miss Cambridge?
naivesincerity

Like, will someone used to southern life have problems here?
I'm used to southern quizzical detachment and reserve, staying in my own bubble to figure things out, going for runs, using pitches, courts, bike rides etc.QUOTE]

You can still do all of these things here.

Cambridge is peaceful..I can go down to st marys tennis courts....
Luard road footy pitch, homerton, lammas land, beechwoods etc

It's gorgeous.
[QUOTE="naivesincerity"]
LB91
About the parks thing, from the city centre, heaton park which is massive is about a 10 minute tram ride away.

So theres not to many more chavs then? Do you miss Cambridge?

Cambridge is peaceful..I can go down to st marys tennis courts....
Luard road footy pitch, homerton, lammas land, beechwoods etc

It's gorgeous.

I think maybe you need to Man Up a little bit. It must be hard having a totally middle class upbringing but on the basis of three assumptions
a) the real world exists
b) it is not all leafy avenues and tennis courts
and c) you intend to interact with it eventually
then the only logical conclusion is you get over your fear of the nasty northerners or remain forever in the south
Reply 94
Ardwick/Beswick are a **** hole, you're starting to move into East Manchester around that point and its just..... grim. Grey skys, grey buildings, waste ground, and a big ASDA.

We've talked about this a lot before mate, Manchester is not another country its just a city in the north, its more friendly than in London, yes, but there are as many reserved people around who dont want to talk to an open stranger. It depends on where you go in the city, different bars/shops/cafes have different customers.

The only way to find out about Manchester is to live here, not visit it, but spend a few months here at the very least, work, enjoy it, if you dont like it in the end, try another city. I love it, its very similar in attitude to where I'm from though so I fit in pretty well.
Jim-ie
Ardwick/Beswick are a **** hole, you're starting to move into East Manchester around that point and its just..... grim. Grey skys, grey buildings, waste ground, and a big ASDA.

Yeah but what about whitworth street/great ashton road/street(whatever)?

Is there any good places to live there, before you get to those areas?

Thanks btw mate.
Reply 96
The North is always better than the South! :biggrin: :wink:
I am a Londoner living up north, not too far from Manchester.

Im not going to lie, there defo is a north/south divide when it comes to peoples attitudes but nothing drastic that will make you feel out of place.

I dont like it when people say northerners are friendlier though, each side has its pros and cons.

Just dont be surprised if an old granny tells you her life story on a bus.
IntrovertedExtrovert
I am a Londoner living up north, not too far from Manchester.

Im not going to lie, there defo is a north/south divide when it comes to peoples attitudes but nothing drastic that will make you feel out of place.

I dont like it when people say northerners are friendlier though, each side has its pros and cons.

Just dont be surprised if an old granny tells you her life story on a bus.

I loved it...people were friendly when I was alone in a cafe, people were friendly in piccadilly gardens etc woman chatted on a bus...
naivesincerity
I loved it...people were friendly when I was alone in a cafe, people were friendly in piccadilly gardens etc

It is nice isnt it? Now going back to London and sitting on a tube or bus feels strange with people just sitting in silence.

Latest

Trending

Trending