The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bete noire
Funny stuff.

yeah it was really weak
on the upside; there isn't an upside
i faield
bete noire
I come from the suburbs of Kent and I live in New Cross, I've met plenty of chavs. If you think that people do these things simply because they enjoy it then you're a cynic and a moron.

If you think they would still burgle people's houses and mug old ladies if they knew they would get 25 years in jail for it (and not the current holiday camp jails) then you're the moron! Hence, they do it because they enjoy it and because they know that they will get away with it. They also know that even if they did get caught, they'd either get 3 months in a cushy 'jail' and let out after 1 month for 'good behaviour' (ie. not killing their cellmate), or 'community service' (which they needn't bother turning up to, since nothing will actually happen to them if they don't turn up), or they'll just be let off, either due to a stupid technicality or due to a complete lack of jail space, due to idiotic heads-in-the-sand judicial planning.

bete noire
I'm not defending anyone's actions I'm just saying there's more to it than a simple matter of intelligence and one group of people simply being better than another. And that people should not be so quick to judge others.

It's hard not to judge someone as a criminal when you see them vandalising a shop or randomly beating up passers-by simply for looking at them.
Reply 82
bete noire
If you think that people do these things simply because they enjoy it then you're a cynic and a moron.

I completely agree with you. The underlying cause of what is actually objectionable (i.e. the violence and petty crime: the clothes etc. are completely irrelevant to me) about the 'chav' phenomenon is disenfranchisment from society caused by the lack of opportunities they experience as a result of the poverty some may have grown up on.

However, this is not the sole cause. Some clearly DO enjoy inflicting pain on other human beings, and enjoy committing petty (and some very serious) crime.

One is always presented with a choice before one acts, and in choosing to a)shout abuse at randoms in the street b)start fights for no reason etc., and to deny that there is always an element of free choice involved is duplicitious.
Planto
No, you're ignorant. You're also intentionally ignoring the point.

"Do you really think all people who wear nike jump suits and reebok classics are the only people in the world committing crimes"

No, and that is not what classifies a chav, as I stated in my previous post, which you quoted but strangely ignored.

You're talking absolute self-righteous junk. Stop trying to make a redundant point.

People wouldn't resort to violence and vandalism if they weren't so disenfranchised, I think the people you described are more a product of class prejudice than they are inherently violent and ignorant people.
Reply 84
MaxMaxMax
If you think they would still burgle people's houses and mug old ladies if they knew they would get 25 years in jail for it (and not the current holiday camp jails) then you're the moron! Hence, they do it because they enjoy it and because they know that they will get away with it. They also know that even if they did get caught, they'd either get 3 months in a cushy 'jail' and let out after 1 month for 'good behaviour' (ie. not killing their cellmate), or a 'community sentence' (which they needn't bother turning up to, since nothing will actually happen to them if they don't turn up), or they'll be let off, either due to a stupid technicality or due to a complete lack of jail space, due to idiotic heads-in-the-sand judicial planning.

It's hard not to judge someone as a criminal when you see them vandalising a shop or randomly beating up passers-by simply for looking at them.

But surely you would agree that addressing the underlying causes, which could prevent people needing to be locked away in the first place would be a preferable solution?

The obscene cost of running prisons for habitual offenders would be lowered, and they could become productive members of society. Unless you just have a deep-seated hatred of those who you view as inferior to you?
sidewalkwhenshewalks
which implies you have been snooping at my profile :eyeball:
the only thing better than an application to tell me how many people visit my profile is a trap to tell me who has been looking at it
:shifty:

i_also_rof

One is always presented with a choice before one acts, and in choosing to a)shout abuse at randoms in the street b)start fights for no reason etc., and to deny that there is always an element of free choice involved is duplicitious.

Of course there's always an element free choice but at the end of the day a lot of people just don't know any better.
bete noire
People wouldn't resort to violence and vandalism if they weren't so disenfranchised, I think the people you described are more a product of class prejudice than they are inherently violent and ignorant people.

Why not? They enjoy it and they get away with it
Reply 88
bete noire
Of course there's always an element free choice but at the end of the day a lot of people just don't know any better.

Indeed, and therein lies the problem.
PeanutButterJellyTime

I thought so
:cool:
Reply 90
bete noire

The people who hang around in Asda car parks, strutting half-naked around their loud soundsystems revving their amplified engine sounds and intentionally intimidating, often even threatening, occasionally seriously harming passers-by are not doing it because of "class prejudice".

The twelve-year-old at the bus stop playing loud drum and bass music from his phone, being disrespectful and glaring at people as they walk past isn't forced into it by his middle-class peers.
bete noire

Oh I see. So they don't know that mugging people and smashing up people's cars is wrong, ie they wouldn't mind if it happened to them (pretty much the definition of 'wrong')

Right.........................:rolleyes:
Reply 92
MaxMaxMax
bete noire

Enjoying it and getting away with it only comes after the initial acts of violence/vandalism. It's the disenfranchisement from society, lack of opportunities, poor moral guidance (if any at all) which results in them not knowing any better, and causes the first act.

After that first act, I completely agree that some might enjoy it. But the majority, as was said above, simply don't know any better.
Reply 93
They're chavs. If chavs had any kind of sense they would realise that the lifestyle they're leading is stupid and isn't going to get them anywhere. Well anywhere except jail.
MaxMaxMax

I guess I think this because

a) I just have a bit more faith in people than you do and

b) you hardly see people who have been brought up in middle and upper class homes in affluent areas with good education systems and plenty of job opportunities going out and doing these things.
They're chavs.
They think it's cool to miss/drop out of school.
bansheeee*
my boyfriend is a chav and he is NOT stupid ,i hate generalisations.

LOL EPIC QUOTE
Reply 97
Not sure if it's been posted already, but, "Stupid chav kicks wall only to have leg crushed" anyone?
Reply 98
bete noire

b) you hardly see people who have been brought up in middle and upper class homes in affluent areas with good education systems and plenty of job opportunities going out and doing these things.

I do agree with your overall sentiments but we've got to be wary of the pitfalls of cum hoc ergo proctor hoc and associating correlation with causality.
Planto
The people who hang around in Asda car parks, strutting half-naked around their loud soundsystems revving their amplified engine sounds and intentionally intimidating, often even threatening, occasionally seriously harming passers-by are not doing it because of "class prejudice".

The twelve-year-old at the bus stop playing loud drum and bass music from his phone, being disrespectful and glaring at people as they walk past isn't forced into it by his middle-class peers.

It's because they've got nothing better to do because they weren't afforded the same opportunities as everybody else.

Latest

Trending

Trending