The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I usually tip in a restaurant if there's no service charge. I've never tipped a hairdresser as I usually pay by card and don't often have cash other than a few pence, plus I'm never sure whether they expect it or not lol.
Reply 61
Joanna May
The arguments do hold in the UK though. And besides, even in America, why is it the patron's responsibility to make sure the restaurant isn't acting illegally? Surely the onus to ensure fair wages lies with the owners of the restaurant, and if they're breaking the law they should be reported.

I'm not going to judge whether or not they hold in the UK...I don't think I've spent enough time there to make that judgment. I was just saying that they don't hold in the US.

And it depends on how you define responsibility. No, it is not our job to make sure people are paid fairly. But I think there is some kind of moral responsibility there. If you know that a person will be losing money through taxes, which were set up based on a social norm that people are expected to follow, then there might be something wrong with it.

The restaurants do get reported...if people find out. All too often, though, the people being cheated are not in a position to report it, either because they do not know the laws, are too young to know, etc.
Reply 62
Cadge
Come off it love. Tipping waiters is like tradition. Tipping doctors (who don't expect to be tipped) isn't. People who think they know better than these traditions (like you), and think that they know better pretty much emphasises their arrogant personalities.

" Ooooh!!!! But It's their JOB!!! They're EXPECTED to be polite!!!!!! Why should I pay them EXTRA!!!!" Just STFU, if you don't want to tip, don't tip, but you'll be hated for it.

If someone doesn't like me not leaving a tip, it's their problem, not mine.

Please don't use the vulgar traditional argument, it's never been tradition. Arguments like this one we're having now have been going on for decades. The arrival of the minimum wage should have swung it for us lot.
I don't like to pay the service charge because I discovered after working as a waitress that the waiting staff don't see any of it :frown:

So unless the service was completely appalling, I always tip the waiter/ress directly - amount varies on exactly how good they were.
I tip around 10%... wouldn't tip shops/high street stores because the money would go to the shop owner, not the low paid staff.
Reply 65
A lot of people seem to be under the misconception that the tip automatically goes to the individual waiter/waitress. I've worked in 6 restaurants over the last five years and in every place, the tips are shared equally among the staff (including chef etc.).

ten bob
I bet not many waiters/waitresses declare their tips to HM Revenue & Customs....

They're meant to, otherwise they can get shafted. If the restaurant handles the tips, and it doesnt go straight into the waiters pocket, then they have to declare them.

Basically, if you ever work in a restaurant, you're gonna be really biased about tipping. I know that if a table has been particularly demanding and I've had to make a real effort to care for them over the hour or two they have been in the restaurant, and then they dont tip, it really pisses me off. That said, i would probably have a different attitude if I had never worked in catering.
Reply 66
AlysonJ220
I'm not going to judge whether or not they hold in the UK...I don't think I've spent enough time there to make that judgment. I was just saying that they don't hold in the US.

And it depends on how you define responsibility. No, it is not our job to make sure people are paid fairly. But I think there is some kind of moral responsibility there. If you know that a person will be losing money through taxes, which were set up based on a social norm that people are expected to follow, then there might be something wrong with it.

The restaurants do get reported...if people find out. All too often, though, the people being cheated are not in a position to report it, either because they do not know the laws, are too young to know, etc.

You should never have to pay any more than what's on the menu. Why not put the price of the food up instead of charging for service?

This isn't an issue of common courtesy. Queuing is common courtesy. Saying please and thank you is common courtesy. Being asked (and in some cases decieved) to pay more than what you have consumed is frankly rude.
Reply 67
I travel alot by rail on business and it's much easier to eat on the train than go to the hassle of finding somewhere to eat.

If I recieve excellent service then I will write a letter of thanks to the train company saying how good staff member X was. Then the staff member gets a bonus or reward (depending on the company).
Reply 68
91 robs
A lot of people seem to be under the misconception that the tip automatically goes to the individual waiter/waitress. I've worked in 6 restaurants over the last five years and in every place, the tips are shared equally among the staff (including chef etc.).

They're meant to, otherwise they can get shafted. If the restaurant handles the tips, and it doesnt go straight into the waiters pocket, then they have to declare them.

Basically, if you ever work in a restaurant, you're gonna be really biased about tipping. I know that if a table has been particularly demanding and I've had to make a real effort to care for them over the hour or two they have been in the restaurant, and then they dont tip, it really pisses me off. That said, i would probably have a different attitude if I had never worked in catering.

The main point here is that you are just doing your job. Ok you may have to work very hard for an hour or two, but who doesn't? I bust a gut at work without any further remuneration. How is that fair?
Reply 69
Fixesin
You're not 'supposed' to... society dictates that we should because it's courteous... but tips are still optional...

I think it's more than just courteous, probably an "expected" thing to do, so I do it. I guess when you're all a bit older you will all do it! As students we probably can get away with it without being looked down upon.

I think some people here are getting too wound up about the "principles" behind tipping. You guys make a fair point, but there are plenty things in life that you are just expected to do. This is one of them
Reply 70
I tip 10-15% in restaurants usually, depending on how good the service was.

I also tip the people who wash my hair when I get my hair cut, usually £3/4.
Reply 71
Yas89
I think it's more than just courteous, probably an "expected" thing to do, so I do it. I guess when you're all a bit older you will all do it! As students we probably can get away with it without being looked down upon.

Society dictates no such thing.

The polarised views on this thread are testament to that.
Reply 72
ten bob
Smallprint on menu? Are you having a laugh?

I've never had to pay a pre-added service tip without knowing about it when I ordered. I've also never asked for it to be taken off.
Reply 73
ten bob
You should never have to pay any more than what's on the menu. Why not put the price of the food up instead of charging for service?

This isn't an issue of common courtesy. Queuing is common courtesy. Saying please and thank you is common courtesy. Being asked (and in some cases decieved) to pay more than what you have consumed is frankly rude.

Again, I think this differs between you all and the US. We are used to paying more than the price quoted due to sales tax. Most people just automatically add on the tax in their head (ie. you see something that costs $1, you know you will be actually paying $1.08), so I don't see any reason why adding that extra tip on when you see the price of a menu item should be a problem for Americans.
Reply 74
don't be cheAp and give the overworked and underpaid waitress a bonus. Also if you go back you'll get the best service. 10% should be ok
Reply 75
why would you want to tip?!
Reply 76
ten bob
The main point here is that you are just doing your job. Ok you may have to work very hard for an hour or two, but who doesn't? I bust a gut at work without any further remuneration. How is that fair?

It's not fair, i know that. But its about one of the only rewarding things in the job. Try working as a waiter for a month, you will see what I mean :P
Reply 77
NoHands
don't be cheAp and give the overworked and underpaid waitress a bonus. Also if you go back you'll get the best service. 10% should be ok

It's not cheap.

Lots of people claim to be 'overworked and underpaid'. If they don't like waiting then they should get some qualifications and find a better job.
I like to tip, because having been a counter-man at a Chinese takeaway, you get lots of annoying customers. There must be waaay more annoying customers at restaurants.

They're also paid less than usual, because tips are usually factored into their wages.
Reply 79
91 robs
It's not fair, i know that. But its about one of the only rewarding things in the job. Try working as a waiter for a month, you will see what I mean :P

No thanks, I have a proper job.

Latest

Trending

Trending