The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JumpingJonny
Couple of good ones a couple more conservative so,
Manchester,Leeds,Keele,Sheffield?
TBH id happily go anywhere that will take me!

I can honestly say I know **** all about all of those unis. :biggrin:
reems23
I can honestly say I know **** all about all of those unis. :biggrin:

Bristol?
Reply 42
JumpingJonny
Bristol?

If your thinking of applying to London unis, then I can help you. Otherwise :dontknow:
JumpingJonny
Couple of good ones a couple more conservative so,
Manchester,Leeds,Keele,Sheffield?
TBH id happily go anywhere that will take me!

A dangerous statement to make, you'll get shot down quite quickly for saying things like that. There are no "good" medical schools, all are equal as all are accredited by the GMC. The most important factor to consider is whether the course structure suits you :wink:
Alex L
A dangerous statement to make, you'll get shot down quite quickly for saying things like that. There are no "good" medical schools, all are equal as all are accredited by the GMC. The most important factor to consider is whether the course structure suits you :wink:

Honestly I know, Id be lucky to get in anywhere (but looking at places and applicants some are more oversubscribed than others) as they are all very competitive.
JumpingJonny
Honestly I know, Id be lucky to get in anywhere (but looking at places and applicants some are more oversubscribed than others) as they are all very competitive.

It isn't worth playing the numbers game too much, just choose a course you like, in a place you like, with an applications process that suits your strengths (some don't interview etc) and go from there
Reply 46
Alex L
It isn't worth playing the numbers game too much, just choose a course you like, in a place you like, with an applications process that suits your strengths (some don't interview etc) and go from there

Having said that, the learning curve seems to tail off and be forgotten by F1 since theres always a mad tactical stab in the back scramble....
Wangers
Having said that, the learning curve seems to tail off and be forgotten by F1 since theres always a mad tactical stab in the back scramble....

Seeing as your grades dont sound amazing at GCSE can I ask where you applied? What work experience you had? (and how where your A level results) :biggrin: Any other information you have would be really useful :smile:
Reply 48
Wangers

For Foundation applications in the current system, you have one first choice. First choice takes precedence over a higher scoring second choicer. & some foundation schools are routinely over or tend to a self select to a higher cut off threshold - although obviously this is the tricky bit to predict (along with how you'll score - but you'll know your academic parts!), there were 2 years of data this time & plenty of discussion about swings.

Completely different system to UCAS!

So being tactical tis not mad at all & I know some people who wish they had been more so, so they would have got their 2nd choice rather than 18th... :frown:
Reply 49
JumpingJonny
This may be a totally stupid qurstion but, can you apply to undergraduate medicine (A101?) if you already have a degree, because they seem less competetive than a graduate medicine course?

Or if you have a degree do you definatley have to apply for the fast track graduate medicine courses?

Or can you apply to both?

Yes you can - although do not be fooled by "competition" - it's slightly harder to get on to our 5 year course as a graduate as it is to get on to Warwick GEP for example (this might have changed this year, as I've not paid attention, and there is admittedly little in it, but...). Other 5 year courses are more competative, as they take fewer graduates. Some (SGUL, Notts) do not take grads on to 5 year programmes at all...
Reply 50
JumpingJonny
This may be a totally stupid qurstion but, can you apply to undergraduate medicine (A101?) if you already have a degree, because they seem less competetive than a graduate medicine course?

Or if you have a degree do you definatley have to apply for the fast track graduate medicine courses?

Or can you apply to both?

Yes you can.

Barts and London is one that lets you do this.

For more info, better ask grads and/or call universities up.
Baki
Yes you can.

Barts and London is one that lets you do this.

For more info, better ask grads and/or call universities up.

So it is definately worth applying for some undergraduate courses aswell?
JumpingJonny

Absolutely, I'd say at least two of them. Although depending on your grades, taking a gap year may still be preferable :wink:
Alex L
Absolutely, I'd say at least two of them. Although depending on your grades, taking a gap year may still be preferable :wink:

yeah im going to get my results for these january exams, see if I am (decline my offers :s-smilie:)and then definately take the risk of applying again, if it fails at least I will have had a nice gap year and know I tried. Also it seems that applications arent so heavily based on grades anymore, one person at my school has 10A* and 5As at A level, he hasnt heard anything; and another friend had similar grades to mine but ABBB at As and has 2 interview and an offer already :s-smilie:
Reply 54
JumpingJonny
Also it seems that applications arent so heavily based on grades anymore, one person at my school has 10A* and 5As at A level, he hasnt heard anything; and another friend had similar grades to mine but ABBB at As and has 2 interview and an offer already :s-smilie:
It was never until recently about the grades at all, and even then they were a relatively minor thing for most places.
JumpingJonny
yeah im going to get my results for these january exams, see if I am (decline my offers :s-smilie:)and then definately take the risk of applying again, if it fails at least I will have had a nice gap year and know I tried. Also it seems that applications arent so heavily based on grades anymore, one person at my school has 10A* and 5As at A level, he hasnt heard anything; and another friend had similar grades to mine but ABBB at As and has 2 interview and an offer already :s-smilie:

They do base their judgements somewhat on grades, but if the rest of your application isn't up to scratch then no amount of A*s will help you.
Renal
It was never until recently about the grades at all, and even then they were a relatively minor thing for most places.

Im pretty sure it used to be, Do you have a parent who does medicine? yes, okay then you can have a place (thats how my grandad got a place at birmigham years ago). Oh how things have changed
Renal

My neighbours keep telling me of "the days" when applying to a London college was your backup with offers of CCC
Alex L
They do base their judgements somewhat on grades, but if the rest of your application isn't up to scratch then no amount of A*s will help you.

Im just going to get loads of voulantry work, loads of the consultants at my local hospital said I can just ring them and shadow them for a week at a time, then do some work in a care (which would be interesting anyway) and possibly some more (I already have some) voulantry work abroad, I think that covers most of the bases. What work experience did you guys get?
Reply 59
JumpingJonny

Depends on your UKCAT. But yes, definitely worth applying to one.

Latest

Trending

Trending